The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1
TheJ

Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors (VCI) Any experience with them?

I was at Lowe's today and noticed a product called Zerust. It's a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor). Figured I would pick it up for only a few buck for my gun safe.

It seems like a really neat product from looking quickly on the net and I was wondering if anyone here has used it with any noticeable results good or bad?

PS; I also just read that the Kobalt non-slip tool drawer liner sold at Lowe's is made of VCI material from the same company (Zerust) too.

Last edited by TheJ; July 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2
TheJ

I there have been some looks but no one posting. I guess not too many people have any experience with this. I didn't find much when searching either.

Anyway I couldn't find anything about this stuff on the Lowe's website. However, I went by Lowe's again and checked out their Kobalt tool chest drawer liner and sure enough right on the package it says it's made by Zerust. It doesn't seem too unreasonably priced for gun safe shelf liner.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
johnbt

Thank you, I didn't know Lowe's sold the stuff and it's time for me to replace what I have.

I've been using Remington's similar product that's shaped like plastic cartridges; I hang the 12 ga. one in the top of the safe and use the smaller ones elsewhere.

In the past I have used the little half-inch square cardboard VCI chips and the larger index-finger sized cardboard ones. I think somebody used to make little yellow ones too.

I don't know if they work or not, but I have not had any rust or negative experiences with any of them over the years. It's cheap insurance.

John
Old July 6, 2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Buzzard Bait

Yes

Yes I have been using Zrust products and before I found them i used other brands of vci and I am sold on the concept. I live in a humid salt air sea coast town where everything rusts.I have used the vci bags and the capsules and have no rust both in my safe and my tool box. Also you only need to oil for lubrication you don't need to cover your gun with oil to prevent rust. So oil is not soaking into your wood you can take the gun out of the safe and it's ready to go no removing oil from the bore. I have also seen unpainted metal parts stored with vci in the box not rust for long periods of time then someone who doesn't know that the piece of brown paper in the box is vci chemical to prevent rust so they through the paper away and the metal would rust in days without the protection. The stuff works just like they say it does.
bb
no I don't work for them
Old July 7, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
TheJ

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems like not too many have experience with this but it would seem like a natural fit for firearm protection. I think I'm also going to pick up the Kobalt anticorrosion tool chest drawer liner for my gun safe and my tool chest in the garage.
Old July 8, 2010, 08:07 AM   #6
TheJ

I guess not too many others have heard of this type of stuff.
Old July 8, 2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Buzzard Bait

more info

Well they are missing out, Also kleen bore has vci treated gun storage bags. Look at Zerust's web page they have gun storage bags of different sizes and some that last longer that others. I saw some grease or oil not sure which from Remington that has vci chemicals in them. I also have read some where that these chemicals could cause paper to yellow so if you have documents stored in your safe this could be an issue.
bb