The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2009, 02:32 PM   #1
beezaur

Bear Gun -- Thanks for the Help

Hi guys,

I had some questions about a gun to use for bear a while ago, and got some good advice here. I finally have the gun all set up after trying some things, and am pretty happy with it.

It is a Rem 870 Tactical 12-gauge pump shotgun with a 6-shot magazine and an 18" cylinder barrel. It came with a pistol grip stock that didn't really work out for me. I replaced that with a Remington plastic replacement stock. I added a stock pack by Eagle Industries, an Aimpoint T1 red dot sight on a Weaver mount (the receiver is drilled and tapped), and a 1-1/4" leather service rifle sling by Creedmoor Sports. And some Krylon. I'm not a fan of black guns.

The most interesting thing about it (to me) is the sight. The little T1 is tiny, tough as nails, and very efficient. On brightness setting 8 of 12 Aimpoint says it will stay on continuously for about 50,000 hours. This setting is plenty for an overcast day. You can still see the dot in bright sun, though not well. I turn it up to 10 for that, but leave it at 8 all other times.

The adjustment caps have two little posts that stick out. To make sight adjustments you unscrew the cap and reverse it, sticking the posts in the adjustment knob. The cap never leaves your hand that way. Pretty convenient compared to coin types.

I have the gun sighted in at ~25 yards with slugs. When I took my last confirmation shot, I put the dot on the mark and pulled the trigger. This gigantic hole appeared that the dot fit inside of. That's pretty satisfying to a guy who is used to a .243 Win., and the tiny gray holes that normally mark my impacts.

Within its range, the gun is fast, accurate, and powerful. Everything you want in a brush gun for bear.

Scott
Old August 8, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
comn-cents

Nice setup.
Old August 8, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3
TJMiller

Bear Gun

I WANT!
Old August 8, 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
bswiv

The Aimpoint Micr, as you said, is good stuff. I have one on a old .35 Rem and another on a O/U 45-70. Just bought a Scout Mount for the .35 to use with the Aimpoint.

It is amazing how natural it is to shoot with that dot way out in front like that.

You made a good choice for close range work.
Old August 8, 2009, 10:34 PM   #5
wyobohunter

Like it

Good setup. What kind of bears live in your area? I would've gone with a ghost ring because I didn't like the red dot or the holosight I tried, but they were el-cheapo. I think the one you have is far superior. If there is any chance of upland birds, bunnies or squirrels on the hike I'd throw a few 7 1/2 - 6 shot 2 3/4" shells in that shell carrier. It's not like you'll have time to reload if you have a bear encounter anyway. When out & about with my shotgun I hike through the thick stuff loaded with Brenneke slugs, when I get out into the open I pop in a couple shot shells (one in magazine/one in chamber) and leave room for two slugs if I spot mr. bear in the area.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:53 AM   #6
hardluk1

Is this a hunting gun or protection gun for bear. If hunting the dot is a great site but do add some kind of sites as backup. Maybe gost ring and red glow front. Also if a hunting gun take good luck at Safari Sling, Your gun will carry right side up across your chest ether barrel up or down, but always ready to just pickup and shoulder to shoot. It will still let you back carry also. No better sling for long walks hunting, gun is always ready and no hands need to just cover ground. Been useing them for 20 years.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7
beezaur

This is for black bear hunting in a fairly brushy area. Think hands and knees at times.

I like the T1 red dot because it is not sensitive to sight alignment and provides such good visibility. I can shoot accurately from all kinds of imperfect positions, with or without a pack strap to mess up my length of pull. I generally don't like to rely on anything electronic, but this sight is so easy to shoot with that I think it's worth it.

The stock pack really is just to keep the ammo and my tag with the gun. It provides a nice cheek piece too. I like to keep things as grab-and-go as possible. Extra shells go in my backpack or on my belt.

I'll have to check out that Safari Sling. Sounds interesting.

Scott