The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Fiddler 5.56

Anyone built their own Annealing Machine ??

Hi all, been reading up on annealing and came across an Automatic Annealing machine that is commercially available ($$$$ !) and thought something along those lines might be a good project for someone with time on their hands(me).

That said, If someone out there has already done this, I'd like to "pick their brains" on a few details.
Old April 23, 2007, 03:21 PM   #2
50 shooter

Here's a good article to read. http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
No time for rearranging.
Old April 23, 2007, 09:58 PM   #3
amamnn

I have the Ken Light machine that was on 6mmbr. I don't think I could have built one that does the same job for much less, especially if you figure in the time required to build it.

I would not recommend one for the casual handloader, but if you are shooting match rounds to the tune of 2 or 3 hundred a month or more, the old propane torch and bucket method is really too slow and you'll need to anneal a lot more often than most folks.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Crosshair

I built one out of the following parts I had at home and ones I bought at the "Surplus Center".

1. 60 RPM 110 volt motor.
2. Rubber cork w/hole in the middle.
3. Electrical cord.
4. Light switch box
5. Light switch.
6. Wire Nuts.
7. Lee case holder.
8. Propane torch.

Total cost: $8.35 IIRC, not counting the stuff I had at home.

Practiced on some Berdian primed 308 cases and I am going to anneal my 7.5x55 brass once I fire the reformed cases. (Made my first batch from .284 Win brass.)

I plan on marking 40 7.5x55 cases, 20 I will anneal every second or third loading and the other I won't anneal. If the annealed ones last alot longer then I will know that I am annealing them correctly. I plan on annealing alot of my brass now that the prices have increased to the point where it is now much more cost effective to anneal. 7.5x55 makes the most sense because the brass is expencive compared to other calibers and the K-31 is a cool gun.
Old April 24, 2007, 06:16 AM   #5
RERICK

crosshair , Got any pictures ?
Old April 24, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Fiddler 5.56

Thanks folks. Crosshair : That, what you've done, is what I had in mind.
I started something last night from scrounging around in the Garage.

Love to see photos also. What is the rubber cork with a hole for ????
Old April 24, 2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Crosshair

Yikes, spotlight is on my setup now. I'll have to get some pictures together after work. If people are interested I could go and buy a whole box of those 60 RPM motors.

Anyway, the cork is to slide over the shaft of the motor and I drill the other end so I can put my Lee case holder in it. A simple, cheap, yet effective way of attaching the holder to the motor. It also keeps any heat from getting to the motor.
Old April 24, 2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Fiddler 5.56

The motor I'd have to buy or scrounge I guess, but having no idea what motor I'd need , your 60 rpm sounds good. Are these small, hobby type motors maybe ?
I started cutting out some wood last evening. Sort of making it up as I go along.
It seems two discs rotating, under the correct conditions, would rotate the cases in the holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOOD.jpg (28.6 KB, 55 views)
Old April 24, 2007, 11:53 PM   #9
mattgreennra

I would buy a cat and tie a propane torch to it. Scatter the brass on the floor, flood your room, and you're done. Catnip might help speed things up.

... A perfect plan.

(This is joke, please don't send me #*$*ing PETA e-mails.)
Old April 25, 2007, 12:06 AM   #10
Fiddler 5.56

Why didn't I think of that !!!!