The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1
MeanStreaker

Help while I'm deciding on 1st shotgun

Hello, I am looking for my first shotgun. I would like to get into shooting clays, but would also like something that can double for home defense. I've read a lot of posts here and enjoyed the 101 threads.

So here's what I'm thinking. I'd like to pick up a Remington 870 with a short barrel for HD and a longer barrel for clays. This will allow me to practice while I save up for a nicer, dedicated O/U if I take to the clays like I'm expecting and leave the 870 for HD.

Now for my question - Can you tell me more about the 'dimples' on the 870 that limit capacity? How much of a deterrent should this be for me as it will eventually be solely for unlikely SHTF duty? I see that the dimples can be removed, but I'm definitely not a gunsmith and would prefer to get something that won't need many modifications. Are there other shotguns I should be considering that I may have discounted since the default newb purchase is an 870?

Thanks very much for your time.
Old December 23, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2
datchew

the dimples are just indentions in the metal underneath the ring which is mounted to the barrel which slides over the magazine tube.

Unload gun, take off barrel, remove spring etc, and drill out a 1/4" or slightly smaller hole in each dimple. Use a bit of oil since you're drilling metal and don't rev up the drill too high. It'll go through slowly.

After the holes are there, get a small tube-shaped file and just work the burrs off. You'll have to get it really clean with the file or the close-tolerance spring cap won't slide past the burrs of the metal.

After that, clean it up, attach the magazine tube extension, and you're done!

Takes about 15 mins to drill the hole and maybe 30 mins of filing and testing to get it smoothed out.

You can use a dab of black paint or cold blueing in a tube on the bare metal afterwards.

NOTE: I just bought a new 870, and am having issues with the finish on it.
IMO, shop at pawn shops and gun shows and find a slightly older broken in one. Might be better quality.
Old steven's shotties are also good. Other guys on here will give you other good ones.
Old December 26, 2005, 08:38 AM   #3
SmokinTom

You should also look at the Winchester 1300 deluxe.A very good gun for the money.Wal-Mart around here sells them for $245 with a 28in. vent rib barrel and choke tubes.A smart buy too.Picking up another barrel is no problem.Hope this helps.
Old January 1, 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
sparkysteve

new scattergun

I'd go with a 870 Wingmaster. The 870 express "bead blast" finish is imposible to keep clean. The Wingmaster is blued and looks nicer.