The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old July 16, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
17ghk

why is my thread closed

Unless I am mistaken this is a shooting forum. A sport which is defended by the NRA and to not support them by killing my thread is crap! Is there nowhere here to post this poll or is it not at all welcome? I dont come hear much but when I post these polls people pm me with a thank you.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; July 16, 2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: delete accronym containing profanity
Old July 16, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
CowTowner

My guess would be due to the follow post found in the rules section of this forum:

Quote:
Links to Polls
Any post/Thread that links to ineffectual and useless online petitions will be closed or deleted on sight.

Instead, if you really think the topic is worth action, contact your State and Federal Congresspeople with an email, tweet or real letter. See Sandy Hook Shooting: Read First in the L&CR forum for details on how to contact your Federal Representatives and Senators.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 16, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
17ghk

oh useless is it? whatever
Old July 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Why not add something substantial to the thread to make it viable if you feel so strongly about it
Old July 16, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
tirod

Polls are ineffective because nothing happens after they are published - except for a big yawn and "So what?" If the results agree with your opinion, fine, if not, it's a wakeup call either you or they don't have all the facts.

In that regard, what else is new?

The White House polls are just as effective - and shut down when the answer goes against their agenda. Since no one is obligated to do anything about the results of the poll, the effort could be directed to something else - like writing your reps, sending donations to the organization that furthers your view, campaigning for a candidate that supports your views.

Instead of working for poll results, work for election results, which have a much larger influence.

That's the long explanation of above, and why most forums would do well to eliminate "polls." But, some think it's needed so their members can figure out what is more popular and how to think, rather than come up with their own analysis and decide for themself.

Yeah, chalk me up on the side of "polls are waste of time and bandwidth."
Old July 16, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If for no other reason, your post is a classic "drive-by cut and paste" and is explicitly against forum rules.

The most obvious way to get an answer to your question, if the closing post left by the moderator wasn't enough, is to send a PM to the moderator who closed the thread rather than asking on the open forum.
Closed Thread