The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 1, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1
knifeguy

Ruger Hawkeye Accuracy Improvements

What is the best way to improve Accuracy for these guns. I just bought a new one in 7mm-08. With factory ammo I get around a 3" group at 100 yards. With a 175grain hand load I can get a 1" group at 100yards. This is fine for where I hunt in the southeast, but I would like to improve the overall accuracy of the gun.

I have heard that some rugers behave badly when free floated. I also have synthetic stock. Should I bet the action? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Old November 2, 2011, 04:34 AM   #2
Abel

Quote:
With factory ammo I get around a 3" group at 100 yards. With a 175grain hand load I can get a 1" group at 100yards.
So, what are you going to hunt with? Factory ammo or your handload?
Old November 2, 2011, 05:05 AM   #3
jmr40

Rugers are more senstive to action screw torque than most. Most guys report better accuracy by loosenig all screws. First tighten the front screw as tight as you can possibly get it. Tighten the rear screw almost as tight. The middle screw should be snugged up just tight enough so as not to fall out. I've read of some improvement after this. Worth a try.

I'd try some different bullet weights and different factory loads. Also, if it is a new rifle it will shoot better after it's had had several boxes of ammo shot through it. Don't give up too soon.

Rugers aren't known as tack drivers. I've only seen 1 that would consistently shoot groups of around 1/2", but I've also never seen one that was worse than a 1.5" gun either.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Lloyd Smale

things that help other rifles like a trigger job and glass bedding and floating help rugers too. Best bet though is to keep trying differnt bullet, powder and primer combos.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
American Made

Tighten your stock as seen on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGAYS91BDk

When I first purchased mine it had 'play' in the stock. I just took the whole rifle apart and tightened everything. The new Hawkeye is free floated with some pressure system ( don't ask me, this is what ruger told me )

My Hawkeye will place three shots inside 1" at 100. Not bad for a .358 winchester
Old November 2, 2011, 09:46 AM   #6
warbirdlover

I'd try these guys suggestions. My Ruger M77 MkII all-weather .300 Win Mag is always under an inch at 100 yards. Usually cloverleaf groups. It does that with any brand factory ammo I feed it and any weight factory ammo. It's maybe one in a million. Never will sell it.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
rbursek

jmr40,
I am confused by your instructions!!! You say most Ruger shoot best with the screws loose, but then you say to tighten the front and back screw tight and just snug on the middle screw.
Bob
Old November 2, 2011, 11:41 AM   #8
603Country

I put a new stock on mine (Hogue, with aluminum bedding channel), had a lighter trigger spring installed ($10), and found just the handload that it liked. It's not a 7-08, so my load data won't help you. The rifle shoots wonderfully now. I'll admit that I don't think the stock was the problem, since I put that synthetic stock (with the barrel channel opened up) on a Ruger short action 260 I have, and the 260 shoots great. The Hogue stock now on the Hawkeye is a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but the gun shoots so good now that I'm not changing anything. One other thing to mention is that it appeared to me that the barrel needed to be 'seasoned' or 'shot in' or whatever you want to call it, and that took a couple of hundred rounds. I guess I had to lay down some copper. The experts on the forum may have more and better info on that.

As for the action screws, I did what the Ruger website suggested, which is tightened (after first being loosened) just as jmr40 suggests.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:59 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
jmr40,
I am confused by your instructions!!! You say most Ruger shoot best with the screws loose, but then you say to tighten the front and back screw tight and just snug on the middle screw.
Bob
You want to have them all loose at first. Then tighten them in the order I suggested. The screws need to be very tight. But if you don't start with them all loose it could be putting stress on the action as you tighten them.

The angled action screw Ruger uses can work, but it works different. By tightening the front screw 1st, it pulls the gun down into the stock snugly. Then you tighten the others. If you don't loosen the others fist, you will just be getting the screw tight, but with the other screws already tightened they will not allow the action to move down and back into the stock properly.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10
G-town Hunter

JMR40
So for a new Hawkeye would you suggest loosening then tightening the action screws even before being shot?... I am just curious because I am looking to buy a Hawkeye sporter in .308.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Kachok

I'll tell you something that might **** off a few 7mm-08 fans here but the 7mm-08 is a finicky cartridge despite what the books say, took me seven months to get mine dialed in right. I don't load 175gr the heaviest thing I load is 160gr Deep Curls and Game Kings but they do really well with H380 powder (consult your Lyman #49 for load data) The only two powders that shoot worth a darn for me are Big Game and H380 it took me a long time to figure that out. H414, RL19, and IMR4350 would hardly stay on the paper at 100 yards. So long story short it might not be the rifle, I know several experienced handloaders who had trouble with their 08s.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:28 PM   #12
chiefr

knifeguy posted
What is the best way to improve Accuracy for these guns. I just bought a new one in 7mm-08. With factory ammo I get around a 3" group at 100 yards. With a 175grain hand load I can get a 1" group at 100yards. This is fine for where I hunt in the southeast, but I would like to improve the overall accuracy of the gun.

I have heard that some rugers behave badly when free floated. I also have synthetic stock. Should I bet the action? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think you have the answer -- reloading.
In all my days of shooting, I have seen my share of bolt guns that would shoot 3-6 inch groups with factory ammo. Conversely, I do realize there are those that will shoot sub MOA groups with the factory fodder.

Years ago I acquired a Rem 700 in 243 that no matter what factory ammo I used, best I could get was a 4" group. With Sierra bullets, my first reloads gave me a 3/4" group and saved the rifle from being sold or traded.

Tags
ruger