The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
radshop

Evaluate used SxS

Hey folks, I saw a couple of old SxS guns at the shop on Tuesday, and I'm planning to go back and give them another look. One is a Stevens 311 and the other is a Lefever Nitro Special. Either of these would serve my purpose, but I've never bought a used shotgun. What do I look for to make sure I'm not getting a lemon?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 5, 2006, 07:12 PM   #2

Used Doubles

I have had my share of doubles growing up and before I would buy one I first would break the gun (open) and slip a George Washington behind each barrel and lock (close) the gun if I could pull the GW out the gun was used hard and I would pass on this. If it held George in place I then would break the gun, take the forearm off and try it again. If it holds George with the forearm off it "locks up tight" and that part of the gun is good.
Look at the top lever and make sure it is not set to far off to the left. It should be close to center.
I am no expert this is just what I have learned through experience. Sometimes it is good to use a Ben Franklin for the testing!

Good luck
Old January 6, 2006, 11:35 AM   #3
K80Geoff

Good info 1964!

Another check is to remove the barrels and hold them facing down by the lug. Tap the rib with your knuckle. If everything is OK the rib will not rattle and the barrels should have a solid ring.

Also check the ribs and barrels for small holes that may be leaking rust.

Ask to remove the stock and check out the locks for rust. Some folks may not allow this. So ask about a return policy and do it when you take the gun home.

Ask to dry fire the gun using snap caps. Triggers feel ok? Primer dents on snap caps?

After you buy it, have a gunsmith check it out.