The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 20, 2005, 01:26 PM   #1
TX_RGR

ARMS mount/base for HK91

Hi guys. I'm ready to scope the 91 and I was hoping to find some cost-effective suggestions for a base/mount, preferably an ARMS mount or something that has a quick release, as this scope will be seeing action on more than one rifle. I am looking at the Mueller with a 1" tube. I would be interested to hear any opinions you care to offer on the claw mounts as well. At first glance they don't appear to be extra stable. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old July 21, 2005, 08:04 AM   #2
TX_RGR

Anyone here have experience with Mueller scopes, or anything using a 50mm objective? I have heard that the picture is noticeably clearer compared to even a 40mm, but have no actual experience of this. As a matter of fact, the entire scoping process seems extraordinarily complicated. Does anyone here have any knowledge of scoping a 91 or maybe I should take this to a battle rifle or hk forum?

I am looking at this mount from b-square
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=582250
It allows co-witnessing and gets favorable reviews elsewhere. I am concerned about whether it can handle a 50mm scope and also if it is going to place me ridiculously high on the rifle.

Another alternative is one made by aimpoint which is much lower, although it does block out the irons. Again, I don't know if it will handle a 50mm though it does hold a 40 with room to spare. Not that much difference, right?

Quick detach rings from these guys get favorable reviews, though heavy:
http://www.warnescopemounts.com/
Anyone care to comment?

Anything you would care to contribute relevant to this subject is much appreciated, as I have not had to go through this before. My idea is to find a weaver base with a quick detach, that way it can mount up to another weaver base that I already own for a different rifle. If any of this is confusing, I apologize. I haven't slept enough lately. Must be this scope thing, keeping me up all night!
Old July 22, 2005, 01:50 AM   #3
LoadIt

I recently purchased a JLD H&K-91 clone. I also want to put a scope on it to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it.

Try looking at www.tapco.com for a mount. Type in "HK" in their search bar. They have a few different types of mounts to choose from. They have claw mounts and permenant style mounts. I haven't gotten one yet, but think if you are going to use your scope on different rifles, you might want to go with the solid mount and buy a set of quick detach rings for the scope. For a 40mm, medium hight rings should be plenty for scope clearence. Don't know about the 50mm. The picture of their S.W.A.T. Forces Mount looks like it is a see through mount. It is also a tri-rail and has a lifetime warranty.

I've heard that when you scope a 91, the scope sits way high. You also might want to look at getting a check rest. www.sportsmansguide.com sells them. Part number is WX2-90595. Snaps on and off and has a storage compartment.

Whatever you decide, let us know what happens.
Old July 23, 2005, 06:26 AM   #4
AK103K

I've had both HK and ARMS claw mounts on my 91's and MP5 and both worked as advertised. The ARMS mount is a lot more versatile, as the HK mount forces you to put the scope where they want it, which for me was way to far to the rear, and you cant mount other things, like red dots on them. The ARMS mounts are also about half the price. I used a Leupold 1.5x5 on my 91 and later settled on a Beeman SS3 1.5x4. The Beeman is a small air rifle scope rated to .50BMG. It works very well and it and the mount will go into a large pocket.
This is a pic of the ARMS and Beeman on my MP5. When mounted on the 91, the scope is more centered on top of the mount as the mounting positions on the rifles receiver are different. The ARMS mount allows you to keep the rear of the scope in the same spot as the rear sight, making for more natural shouldering and shooting.

Be careful of the other mounts. I've seen 91 receivers that were ruined by B-Square screw down mounts and there are others out there that look like ARMS mounts that are meant for Airsoft and will not work. They wont hold zero on the gun, let alone on and off. Also, dont expect PSG1 accuracy out of your 91 just because you popped a scope on it. My 91's were pretty damned accurate, but they are not target rifles and a scope wont make them one, no matter how fancy it is. One of the HK's biggest pluses is the ability to quickly mount a scope or optic when you feel the need, but I would suggest something more realistic, especially in size, like the Leupold 1.5x5 or another compact type scope.
Old July 23, 2005, 06:32 PM   #5
TX_RGR

Thanks for the info AK. Glad I didnt already fork out for the b-square. After further review, I have decided to go with a more compact, lighter, and more versatile, 2x7 with a red dot, cross hairs and circle (129 shipped). Now I can use it for shotgun, carbine, hunting rifle, and the HK. Not "great" but the versatility makes it a winner, until I win the lottery. Btw, do you know who has the cheapest ARMS mounts/detach rings?
Old July 23, 2005, 06:50 PM   #6
AK103K

TX_RGR,
I'd just do a web search on a couple of search engines and wade through the results. For the most part, they are all pretty close in price, but someone always seems to be running a deal of some sort, you just never know who for sure or when. I've bought from these boys before and had no troubles, just cant be sure they are the cheapest at the moment or have exactly what your looking for. Your best bet is to go to the ARMS homepage and find exactly what you want, then do a search on that product number. That should cut down the responses somewhat. HTH.

http://www.armsmounts.com/index.html

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Pro...armsindex.html

http://www.mountsplus.com/

http://mstn.biz/
Old July 24, 2005, 03:35 AM   #7
TX_RGR

Much obliged.