The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 11, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Metellus

CCW & Auto accident

So I got into an accident where the other driver slammed into the side of my car while I was stopped. I thought I was going to die as I saw a squeeling car trying to stop as it came right at me. Fortunately I was able to accelate just enough so he hit the rear door instead of the driver door. Anyway I wasn't hurt. I get out sort of disorientated to exchange insurance information.

We talk and I hand him my license and my insurance card. He does the same. But in a slightly scared voice he says that I didn't hand him my insurance card. I was so disorientated that I didn't notice I handed him my concealed handgun permit (to be fair to myself my permit looks exactly the same as my auto insurance card, same size, same color, etc..).

Well OOOPs my bad so I hand him my insurance card and I notice the guy staring at where my holster is slightly outlined through my shirt.

Cops came. They didn't care about my CCW (didn't mention it and my state no requirement to tell them). I could still drive the car but will be in the shop for awhile. I'm glad I had the CCW just in case the person who caused the accident was pissed off at me for some reason.

The moment after the initial shock of the crash I was comforted in knowing I had a CCW with me because I had no idea what was going to happen next and what sort of person just hit me.

I know it is bad... but I just enjoyed the look on his face when he saw my permit... you don't have kind thoughts against people who almost killed you with their negligence.
Old July 11, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2
BobK

I got hit a few years ago by a lady that ran a red light. Same with me. I was a little disorientated. As they were towing away my vehicle, I remembered that my gun was in the glove box. Had to run down the tow truck and grab it.
Old July 12, 2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Avizpls

I have had to use my permit as ID a few times for ciggaretts. Gets an odd reaction, and i was once told that it didnt count as a state ID. psht.

But in your situation, I would be happy that it wasnt percieved as a threat. That could have been ugly
Old July 12, 2005, 02:38 AM   #4
LAK

Common robbery MO is to rear end someone's car etc and then hold them up when they get out to "exchange information".

Beware.
Old July 12, 2005, 06:10 PM   #5
bclark1

Quote:
I have had to use my permit as ID a few times for ciggaretts. Gets an odd reaction, and i was once told that it didnt count as a state ID. psht.
yea, since CCW permits and (in illinois) FOID cards are mail-aways, they can't count as "official" IDs. i still present them when people hassle me for a second form though, just to get a rise out of them.
Old July 12, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I recently travelled to a govt facility on an Air Force Base. Since I had to show some papers including my Driver's License at the gate, I had them out on the seat and ready. When I parked (about a mile--literally) from the building, I left my DL on the seat. When I started to sign in at security, I realized what I had done and that the only picture ID I had was my CHL. I was already late to the meeting--got hung up by security at the gate--so I bit the bullet and handed him the CHL. He smiled and said he hadn't seen one before but he took it and I got signed in.
Old July 13, 2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Racerx1166

Before 9/11

I would use my CC Permit as ID to board at the airport. Once, I was asked if I was currently carrying a gun to which I replied 'can I?'

Wouldn't even think of that one now...
Old July 13, 2005, 02:09 PM   #8
USP45usp

I've used mine as a second picture ID since I only have one (my DL).

Sometimes you get a strange look (and the eyes seem to sweep your body really quick) but they take it.

Not had a problem with the "not a state issued ID" yet.

Wayne
Old July 14, 2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Clayfish

my permit doesn't have my picture on it. dang, i'd show it everywhere they asked
Old July 15, 2005, 07:06 PM   #10
Javelin Man

Chl I.d.

At our license bureau, they ask for a second form of id. I handed the clerk my CHL and she didn't know what to do and wasn't sure it was on the list of accepted forms of id. She asked the head clerk who responded halfway across the room in a LOUD voice: "Sure, concealed gun licenses are ok!" The clerk just kept working, but the two large rough-looking guys right beside me were no longer right beside me; they had moved over to the next lane and more.