The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 17, 2005, 07:27 AM   #1
usmarine

What's that big canister on the minigun?

You know, the smaller is the feeding port, but what's the larger?
Old January 17, 2005, 09:19 AM   #2
grey_pilgrim

What minigun. There are many different types of miniguns, however, if you are talking about the CWIS minigun, than the large domed white canister is the tracking system(i think) .
Old January 17, 2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Casp_A

No, there aren't many types of Miniguns. There are many types of revolving battery guns (RBGs.) Calling all RBGs Miniguns is like calling all handguns Desert Eagles. The most common though is the General Electric/Dillon Aeromotive M134, 6-barreled RBG, caliber 7.62x51mm NATO, aka "Minigun." But I digress, most people do refer to the whole catagory as miniguns.

To answer the original question, there are two large sub-units mounted on the exterior of the M134 reciever (if you can call it that.) One is the feed delinking system that strips the ammunition from the desintigrating feed belt and loads it into the gun at a very high speed. The other is the (I think 28V DC) drive motor.

1 - drive motor
2 - feed delinker

Also, the one shown in the picture is a modern Dillon Aero one. The way those are mounted the gun is turned on it's side, so they have the motor and delinker on the left side, as shown. An original style mount has the gun turned with the motor and delinker on the bottom.

I seriously have too much time on my hands.

Oh yea, for more info and stuff on that and other models, check out www.montysminiguns.com
Old January 17, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
That's a neat effect on that picture there... *Wonders when he'll be able to reinstall all his 3d software to try copying that effect....*

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Casp_A

Thanks, actually I just did that in a plain photo editing program, just lightened the two parts and darkened the rest of it. Methinks it's called Arcsoft Photostudio 2000. It's pretty cool, but I'd rather have Photoshop 'cause you can't do anything with palettes.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:07 AM   #6
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Arcsoft, eh? As I recall, they specialize in low end software (correct me if I'm wrong)... When you get photoshop, lemme know. I'd be curious to see what you can do with a stronger program like that...

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old January 18, 2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Casp_A

Quote:
Arcsoft, eh? As I recall, they specialize in low end software (correct me if I'm wrong)
Well, I certainly wouldn't call it professional. And Photoshop, getting that is just a pipe dream. If I had enough money to buy PS, I'd go out and buy a couple o' rifles instead.
Old January 19, 2005, 01:28 AM   #8
usmarine

Thanks for the picture.
Can send me more?