The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 2, 2019, 06:10 AM   #1
JJ45

South Carolina Reciprocity?

Hello, my son and daughter-in-law are planning to drive from Pa. to Florida to visit some friends.

According to my son, all the states along their chosen route have reciprocity as far as concealed carry except SC.

My question is; can he take his handgun across the state. If so, how? He and I know that South Carolina laws must be respected but are not sure what precautions are prudent.

Any advice appreciated...Thanks, JJ
Old June 2, 2019, 07:20 AM   #2
JERRYS.

in S.C. your vehicle is an extension of your home. meaning car carry is fine just not carry on person. gas up in N.C. and Ga. so he can drive straight through S.C.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
Old June 2, 2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Firearms Owners Protection Act covers travel through intervening states when traveling from one state where possession of firearms is legal to another state where possession of firearms is legal. What it requires is that the firearm(s) be unloaded and stored in trunk. If the vehicle does not have a trunk (SUV or pickup truck), the gun(s) or the ammunition must be stored in a locked container.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?p...edition=prelim

Quote:
§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Old June 4, 2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Aloha8

South Carolina has some rules:

"SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment;"

The glove box or console are fine, just be sure to inform the officer if you have to get into either, where your weapon is, to get you registration or insurance (and you should have those available and ready anyway).
Old June 5, 2019, 08:57 AM   #5
AirForceShooter

They're not going through Maryland?

AFS
Old June 5, 2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Don P

www.handgunlaw.us

will answer most of your questions
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:44 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
They're not going through Maryland?
Good point. From most parts of Pennsylvania, a direct route south toward Florida will run through Maryland, which does not recognize Pennsylvania carry licenses. If they live in or near Pittsburgh, maybe their route will run through West Virginia.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:58 AM   #8
JJ45

Great advice from all. My son said the only state in question was S.C. We live just about 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh so I assume West Virginia, Plus his wife's folks are from W.V. so there may be a stop over...Thanks again, great advice.

BTW...GO STEELERS!...I had to get that in
Old June 5, 2019, 02:51 PM   #9
FITASC

I imagine PA most likely does not recognize SC permits, so they react in kind because except for NE states and the West coast states, CO and IL, SC recognizes everyone else.

SC is a MUST inform state if he gets pulled over
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 5, 2019, 09:03 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
SC is a MUST inform state if he gets pulled over
"Must inform" if he's carrying. But he doesn't have a license that SC honors, so he won't be carrying. Is it mandatory if he has the gun locked in the glove box, or in the trunk, or in a locked gun case in the luggage area of an SUV in compliance with the FOPA?
Old June 5, 2019, 09:27 PM   #11
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
"Must inform" if he's carrying. But he doesn't have a license that SC honors, so he won't be carrying. Is it mandatory if he has the gun locked in the glove box, or in the trunk, or in a locked gun case in the luggage area of an SUV in compliance with the FOPA?
I must have misinterpreted the S.C. statue. Can you show me where a loaded handgun has to be in a LOCKED glove box or LOCKED center console? thanks. been a long day so its easy for me to miss things.
Old June 6, 2019, 05:48 AM   #12
Aloha8

In South Carolina:

"SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment;"

"Locked" isn't required (I have personal experience with this). And "shall inform" applies only to those with CCW licenses.
Old June 6, 2019, 09:05 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; ...

"Locked" isn't required (I have personal experience with this).
I interpreted "Secured" to mean locked. Perhaps that's an overly-strict reading of the law.
Old June 6, 2019, 11:46 AM   #14
mcb66

A latchable compartment is all you need. It does not have to be locked.