The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Utahar15

Motor Oil and Case Lube.

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOL_...layer_embedded

He starts at 4:28.

Robb

Last edited by Utahar15; March 13, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:18 PM   #2
jepp2

Did you link the correct video? It was only about cleaning up used dies.

But per your title, if you are asking about using motor oil for sizing lube, that is all I use now. It is much easier to apply and remove and lubes great. I use synthetic motor oil (after using RCBS original case lube, Lee case lube, and Imperial Case Sizing Wax) and I would never go back.

I polish the inside of the die bodies with Flitz and when using oil you wouldn't believe how little effort their is during full length sizing.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Utahar15

My bad fixed the link now.

Robb
Old March 13, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
hk33ka1

I have used Amsoil as well with great success. I usually use RCBS 2 on a pad or Imperial Sizing Wax, but also have used Lee, plus the RCBS and Lyman spray ons. When I had a bunch of NATO brass I believe was fired in something with a loose chamber that was hard to size, the Amsoil was the better lube for sizing these cases easily.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Incognito

I'm sure it works very well, but personally I'll stick with my non-toxic water soluble lube.

I always find it amusing that people think you can simply tumble lube off. The lube doesn't just disappear, it becomes incorporated into the media. So everytime you put anything in the now contaminated media, you're going to end up with residual lube everywhere on the cases. I don't get it.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I always find it amusing that people think you can simply tumble lube off. The lube doesn't just disappear, it becomes incorporated into the media. So everytime you put anything in the now contaminated media, you're going to end up with residual lube everywhere on the cases. I don't get it.
Some people run multiple 'batches' of media. Cleaning / lube removing / polishing ... or more.

And... others think they have to change their media every 1000 cases, or so.

For those people, I don't think residual lube will ever really be an issue.

(I use imperial, and hand-'scrub' each case after sizing.)
Old March 13, 2011, 09:04 PM   #7
zippy13

I'm sure it works very well, but personally I'll stick with my non-toxic water soluble lube.
+1
Old March 13, 2011, 09:57 PM   #8
totaldla

Ideal ClearGlide wire pulling lube. Water based. Dries without mess.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

when she first started reloading, our own Tamara didn't realize that you needed to use case lube and she almost got a case stuck in the die.

She used Wesson oil for that first reloading session... for that fresh fried and resized taste, I guess.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:09 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

My grandfather used to tell me he would "borrow" clean, used lubricants from the auto repair shop / body shop he worked for. If a vehicle came in for work, and had clean fluids, he'd save about a pint for use as a sizing lubricant. (Engine oil, gear oil, whatever it may have been.)

Those were rough times, though. Money was worse than tight, and he could only afford to shoot the ammo it took to fill his deer tags every year (even reloading).

However...
Once money wasn't an issue, he went to RCBS lube and something Herters used to market. The smell of motor oil in the reloading room got a little old, and he had a few too many hang-fires to feel comfortable with oil.
Old March 14, 2011, 07:12 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
It doesn't just disappear, then again neither does all of the stuff you are polishing off the cases. The medias job is to be "contaminated" with what you don't want on your cases. I post load tumble over 20,000 rounds a year without any problems. I don't use motor oil, nly Dillon lube.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:14 AM   #12
tim s

I had used Imperial for decades, now Royal lube from sharpshootr.com the people that make wipeout/patchout. This stuff will reduce the effort using Imperial by 1/2 [no bs] and it cleans up better, it is the best stuff made....and it smells great. We've started using this for 6PPC resizing where often you're using a custom FL bushing die in a small portable press to size cases fired at over 60,00 psi time and time again. Use it and you will throw away anything you ever called lube before.

Last edited by tim s; March 14, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Rifleman1776

Why people insist on using the gooiest, messiest stuff possible to lube cases before resizing is a puzzlement to me.
I gave up the roller pad business many years ago and use Dillon Rapid Lube spray on. Very easy to use and mess free. Afterwards I just wipe down with a paper towel or leave alone.
Yes, tumbling greasy rounds will ruin your media. But the folks who sell media like you doing that. I don't put goo in my media an it last a very long time.