The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Southern Shooter

Which Small Rifle Primers...Does it make a difference?

I have been told to use small rifle primers in reloading .454 Casull ammunition. Does it matter which small rifle primers? And, if so, which ones and why?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old March 16, 2011, 08:07 AM   #2
wogpotter

Do you mean brand, or type as in standard or magnum?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 16, 2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Southern Shooter

brand and type.

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; March 16, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
wogpotter

First let me say that if you are working up a load then go with exactly whatever the load calls for in both type & brand.
If you want something else then back off the load & work up again with the new selection.
OK, end of reloading safety lecture.
Personally I like CCI primers & use them in both my rifle (.308 & .3033 Brit) & pistol (.357 Mag) loads. I've used them for many years & have had zero problems & good results for consistency & accuracy. It is just a personal preference though.
As for type some powders work better with magnum primers & the cups are supposed to be harder as well. I guess I'd go with the suggestion of the load recipe from the powder maker on this.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 16, 2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

When I first started loading for my .454, I used CCI small rifle benchrest primers. The benchrest were the only small rifle primers I could find at that time. Later on, I bought some Remington small rifle Magnums. And finally, one guy just gave me 100 Wolf brand small rifle primers. I have tried those 3 different primers and so far I have not noticed any differences whatsoever. I have shot mostly W296 powder but have also tried 2400 and IMR4227. It just doesn't seem like the primers make much difference compared to different bullets and powders. But maybe I'm not a good enough shot to see the difference.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:53 PM   #6
madmo44mag

I'm with Doodlebugger45 on this one.
If the powder selection was right for the cartridge and the bullet, primers "seem" to have little to no noticeable effect.
Also the 454 is a straight wall case and pretty full so ignition is seldom a problem with the correct powder choice.