The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 24, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Antique Shooter

CVA Hawken Pistol

I just got a flintlock CVA Hawken pistol, and am trying to aquire some general knowledge.Such as the accuracy I can expect, and what powder charge I can put in it. Thanks, Antique Shooter
Old February 25, 2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Pahoo

Hate to see Y'all hanging out there without any assist. Suggest you provide a tad more information such as caliber and propellant. There are many fellows on "The-Line" that have pistols that are comparable to yours. Also might suggest that you contact CVA and see what they say. Most M/L's have generic shot-strings and your is no exception. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 25, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
mykeal

CVA no longer supports any of their sidelock products.

I'd put the max charge at 50 gr fffg if it were mine. As regards accuracy, shooting flintlock pistols accurately is probably the most difficult thing a shooter can attempt. Assuming the typical CVA Hawken trigger/lock relationship, I'd be shocked at a 25 yard, 5 shot group smaller than 4 inches, and mildly surprised (and a bit cynical) about a 6 inch group.
Old February 25, 2011, 07:29 PM   #4
RwBeV

I think I would back off on that powder charge, if I remember right all of CVA's flintlocks where 45, so you might want to be around 25 to 35 grs. of FFFg and use FFFFg in the pan you will get better ignition. Most of those guns shot OK but you need to do some tuning to get any kind of accuracy out of them. Some of the old ones had just a hole drilled in the barrel for a flash hole, you would be better of to have someone install a flash hole liner. If you run into problems with it, I have a lot of CVA new old stock parts.

Bob
Old February 26, 2011, 12:16 AM   #5
RwBeV

Oops I missed the Hawken part they where 50's I still think you should back away from the max load of 50grs. I have the same pistol in a percussion (wish I had the flint lock) I shoot 40grs. FFFg .490 RB and .020 pillow ticking, shoots great.
Old February 26, 2011, 07:13 AM   #6
mykeal

I said MAX charge of 50 grains; that's not what I shoot. I got a bit hurried and didn't finish the post; you're absolutely correct about using 25-40 grains. That's a much better load range. I should have taken more time to answer.
Old February 26, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Antique Shooter

I thought the Hawken could shoot a little bit hotter loads. I plan on taking it along hunting with me(as a back up) to shoot downed game that is not quite dead yet.So I don't have to reload my flintlock rifle. I try not to make the animal suffer any more than need be. I shoot 25-35 grns fffg in my bp revolvers, I thought bigger bore, thicker barrel would let me shoot hotter loads. Thanks for the info, Antique Shooter
Old February 26, 2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

It might be safe with 50 gr. of black powder. But I question "why"? What's the point of such a heavy load in a pistol?
For target shooting, or plinking, treat like a rifle and just work up the accuracy load that works best. Methinks somewhere around 30 gr. will make an accurate and pleasant to shoot load.
BTW, that CVA pistol is a decent gun for a factory made muzzle loader.
Learn how to use and enjoy.
Old February 26, 2011, 12:50 PM   #9
RwBeV

The max load for that gun is 50grs, you are right about bigger bore bigger barrel but thats it, you will be lucky if it can burn 50grs in that short barrel. I'm sure that you could load hotter loads, its just not going to burn all the powder you will end up with a big flame out the front of that thing but you will gain nothing but a lot of smoke, and a sore wrist.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:09 AM   #10
mokicruz

CVA 45 cal Precussion

I've won turkey shoots with a CVA 45 cal. Precussion against modern Pistols a lot of times with 40 grains of Pyrodex pistol power or 40 grains of FFF black powder. I've never finished lower than third with it. I've killed two Whitetail Bucks with head shots at 25 yds. Accuracy never has been an issue at any load it just depends on how much you want to spend. Even 25 grs. FFFF was deadly but the recoil was noticeable. I don't even notice the recoil with the forty grain loads. With 40 gran loads it's accurate, hits hard and there's not so much smoke you have to run two steps sideways to see where you hit. The first time I saw muzzle loaders I bought 2 FIE's. I blew them up loading 200 grains of FFF black powder and loading to balls like Daniel Boone shows. They were about 36" long 45 Cal barrels only 11/16 across the flats. I even shot fishing sinkers out of them. They both lasted about 500 rounds. They were the only Black Powder guns I've ever seen fail unless someone shot smokeless shotgun powder in them.