The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 1999, 05:24 PM   #1
TheOtherMikey

I have having some problems with splitting ar the mouth of my .38 and.357 mag cases. I am loading to mid-range and not "hot" loading. I have only experienced problems with the .38 special and .357 mag brass....never with any of my auto (9mm, 40 S&W, .45 ACP) nor with my .45 Long Colt brass.

Anybody know why this brass is predisposed to splitting at the case mouth?

Thanks, Mikey
Old November 6, 1999, 07:50 PM   #2
Paul B.

OtherMikey. Are you putting a stout crimp on your reloaded .38 and .357 ammo? Unless the ammo is loaded pretty hot, their really is no need for a heavy crimp. Another thing, if your brass is nickle plated, it seems that nickle plated brass has a tendency to split sooner. I don't know why, it just does. Try backing off on your crimping, and make sure your expander button only expands the brass enough to let you start the bullet. (I almost forgot that) It's like bending a coathanger back and forth until it breaks. Expand and crimp. Expand and crimp. The brass work hardens ans splits. Hope this cures your problem.
Paul B.
Old November 7, 1999, 01:12 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

No, using both a very small bell for loading round and a very light crimp....just enought to hold it in place. Yes, come to think of it, all the cases which split out were nickel plated.

Thanks for the reply, Mikey.
Old November 7, 1999, 05:18 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Mickey...Yes feel your cases may be suffering metal fatigue, those plated cases look good but have thinner brass due to the dinky silver "Lone Ranger" platings. I would discard them ALL immediately and get a few 100 more Star all-brass new ones.. but only if accuracy is your thing, as a neck split (especially on WC and SWC lead target loads) is bad medicine for good groups in my tests.

------------------
***Big Bunny***