The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 1, 2005, 01:01 PM   #1
woodland

Are there no three gunners here?

Just wondering. I posted some questions about it, and someone else posted on the topic, and there have been no responses. Maybe no one here does them. I thought they were more common. Oh well.
Old February 1, 2005, 01:56 PM   #2
MX5

Try a competition forum. The hot shot three gunners, members of the rules committee, etc. hang out on Brian Enos' Forums
Old February 1, 2005, 02:04 PM   #3
RickB

I shoot two or three per year. I don't have the gear to be very competitive, but I do alright with what I have. I look at them as an opportunity to get trigger time with guns that I may have to count on some day, but that otherwise wouldn't get much use. We have a "big" 3-gun match in central Washington state, every Spring, and a group of four or five of us from the Seattle area would go each year. We started doing shotgun and rifle side stages at our monthly IDPA matches in '04, and the interest in 3-gun has gone way up. I think a dozen of us are making the drive in April. Even though IDPA doesn't have rules for 3-gun, some clubs are writing their own, and we may host a 3-gun match this Summer, and see how it goes.
Typically, guys are shooting whatever pistol they use in IDPA or IPSC matches, an AR, and a Remington shotgun (1100, 11-87, or 870). Your gear doesn't have to be fancy, but it has to run reliably. Be able to hit with your rifle, out to 300 yards or more, and practice stoking-up your scattergun. I shoot a M1 Carbine, which is pretty dicey at 350 yards, but is great on house-clearing and jungle-run style stages. Likewise, a pump shotgun isn't great for clearing a plate rack, but it's the reloads that make all the difference, as you will often have stages with five seconds of shooting and fifteen seconds of reloading.
Do you have specific questions?
Old February 2, 2005, 12:04 AM   #4
scottys1

Don't mean to seem unfriendly. Ive only shot one 3-gun match, so take it with a grain or two of salt.
Reading your other post, you already have good equipment. Don't buy anything until you shoot a match or two and have talked to other shooters.
I shot the match with my usual IPSC pistol, my mini-14 ranch rifle with a 1-4x scope, and my Mossberg 500. I used a fanny pack turned around on my side for shotgun reloads and extra mags for the rifle (not that many were needed) were carried in my pockets. Maximum range for rifle at this particular match was 180 yds. This was the first time I shot the mini-14 that far. I just used a little Kentucky windage and except for a brain fart (engaging the wrong targets), shot a respectable score. Great fun was had by all, especially myself.
I second MX5's suggestion ot visiting Brian Enos' forum for more info from hot shooters.
Old February 2, 2005, 02:09 AM   #5
woodland

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll have to check out that forum.
Quote:
I look at them as an opportunity to get trigger time with guns that I may have to count on some day, but that otherwise wouldn't get much use.
Exactly my veiw. I know I don't have near the time or the money to become really competetive, but I can sure have fun, and learn a little at the same time.
Old February 14, 2005, 07:40 PM   #6
LAkid

Hi to all

I recently joined this forum...I am a member of CAS (SASS) the Cajon Cowboys...with the cowboys I am 'Island Vaquero'

In USPSA, IPDA and IPSC I am 'LAkid'

In cowboys we use 3 guns (pistol, rifle and shotgun)

In cowboys our rifle used stay around 25 yards...chambered for pistol
I wanted to start getting into IPDA and decided on a Glock 35, and using my own reloads. I figuered there may be a 3 gun event or even 2 gun
in IDPA. So I checked around for information on what local authorities were using for a tactical rifle or duty rifle and found they were combining 40s&w pistol with the Ruger Carbine in 40 and a Remiington 870P.

I base my choice from the smallest rifle cal. being a 9mm carbine with a power factor of 160...and I assumed a 40 mm would be sufficient over a 9mm

And now in this forum I hear mention of 300 yard shots ...do carbines have there own yardage???

I heard in 3 gun there is only PRODUCTION or OPEN...my pistol is right out of the box and shotgun also.......but I put a Red Dot Scope on my rifle for seeing purposes (so BLIND) since I have poor eyesight this brings all my guns into OPEN or is this only in IPSC (3 gun)
Old February 15, 2005, 01:12 PM   #7
RickB

Depending on which rule book is being used, there are usually three or four divisions. Limited usually means no comps (pistol or shotgun) and no optics. Shotguns are limited to 8+1 loading. There is also often a "Tactical" division, which recognizes the reality that most people have some kind of scope on their rifle, so it allows one optical sight. Open allows scopes, comps, bipods, shotgun speed loaders, etc. USPSA has a new Heavy Metal division, which requires iron-sighted .45 pistol, .308 rifle, and full-power 12ga pump shotgun (no "reduced recoil" loads in the shotgun). Some clubs are shooting Pistol Caliber Carbine at their pistol matches, and there may be some clubs running 3-gun with pistol, same-caliber carbine, and shotgun; sounds like fun.
Old March 20, 2005, 10:39 PM   #8
jwrig

no 3 gunners?

Try these sites.

uspsa.org
jprifles.com
smm3g.net

They are sonsors or sanctioning bodies. Hope that helps. Welcome to 3 gun. It's a rush.

Jim
Old March 21, 2005, 02:27 AM   #9
Zak Smith

I hang out on THR more these days, but anyone should feel free to contact me directly about general 3Gun questions, or info on shooting in Colorado.

We're shooting 1 3Gun, 1 practical rifle, 1 precision rifle field match a month around here..

-z