The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 9, 2002, 09:43 PM   #1
NYCOP

Which vise/shooting rest/I would like to order it from cabelas,

It has to work for a bunch of diffrent style of rifles, from hunting to ar-15's, Please list pros and cons, I want to use it to sight my rifles in. I have used the hoppes bench rest, but I was wondering if there was somthing better? What do you think of them? thanks
Old November 11, 2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Bogie

You're not going to want to shoot a rifle from a vise - It won't consistently recoil.

Some of the nicest shooting rests are available from Sinclair's... They've also got a DANDY cleaning cradle - I've got one, and really like it.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 12, 2002, 12:37 PM   #3
NYCOP

I shighted my last rifle in from a vice, I have not shot it since, are you saying that it is not sighted in now?, from the vice at a 100 yards I have 3 bullets touching about a 1/4 inch above the bulls eye? Shoot I shoot it again from a rest?
Old November 12, 2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Bogie

It'll probably print in a different spot - the recoil characteristics will be different shooting it from your shoulder.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 13, 2002, 12:44 AM   #5
NYCOP

It probably will not be off that much right? I know the only way to know for sure is to fire it again, but it should be close, probably real close right?