The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Bill Siegle

Thinking about reloading on a small scale

OK here is my situation, I have gotten into shooting 45 Colt,44 Mag/Spec, and 454 Casull over the last couple of years and well, ammo ain't cheap and it is not easy to find. The finding issue is the real push here. Also I read all the folks talking about the Keith style loads and well I can't afford the custom loads but would like to run some myself. I was thinking about the very basic Lee Loader kits. Could I get decent results out of those or should I just "Man up" and get a press? Time and space are at a premium too around here. I am not looking to load tens of thousands of rounds....yet. Just looking to increase my shooting fun without worrying as much about costs.
Old October 7, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Wayfarin'Stranger

If you're looking at a small Lee Loader then I would just go ahead and spend the extra $40 and get the Anniversary Kit. It comes with everything you need to get started as far as equipment goes, except maybe a dial caliper. The press will save you ALOT of time; even on small batches.

You won't be disappointed. While you're at it go ahead and order a led pot and some bullet molds if you're concerned about being cost effective.

With eBay shutting down anything related to gun/ammuniton sales I don't see reloading being much cheaper than the store bought (with the calibers I shoot), so don't think you'll save any money in the short run. A few years/and a few thousand reloads down the road if you've been counting pennies the cost savings might become apparent, but by then you'll have spent hundreds of dollars more- on more and more reloading equipment since at that point you're sure to be addicted.
Old October 7, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Bill Siegle

Thanks for the heads up on the Anniversery Kit!! Looks like just what I need Gonna check out some local dealers and see if I can't save on shipping but me thinks I am gonna stop leaving brass in the bucket at the range
Old October 7, 2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Wayfarin'Stranger

I don't know if you have a Sheels AllSports there in Oregon, but they carry the Lee Anniversary Kit. I'm pretty sure it's overpriced, but would probably be the same ammount as adding shipping from somewhere online.
Old October 7, 2007, 05:33 PM   #5
tomh1426

I was lookin at one in Cabelas for $69.
Old October 7, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Stargazer

I loaded about (175) 45 Long Colts this weekend. I use a 30+ year old Rock Chucker with Deluxe Lee die sets. I do single stage, a few steps at a time. There are 6 steps to my reloading, size, expand, prime, add powder, seat bullet, and then use the factory crimp die. I spread the steps out over a weekend day and I do not get tired or bored doing it for a long time in one sitting.

I use an RCBS powder measure for the volume reloads of Unique powder for general purpose loads and I handweigh with a 5-0-5 scale the hotter WW 296 loads.

I squeezed in about (70) .357 158 grain GP loads too so this weekend I turned out close to (250) reloads. Not a bad small volume weekend production.

M70 Web Page
Old October 8, 2007, 11:16 PM   #7
jhansman

Bill-
If you opt for the Lee Anniversary kit (I did, and it has served my modest needs perfectly), Lee now offers that kit with their new Breech Lock Challenger press (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...744&t=11082005,) for quick change of dies. For single-stage loading, this can be a real time saver.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Lee also improved the spent primer catching on this press, a much needed improvement.