The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 1999, 01:46 AM   #1
Rob Pincus

ooooo-baby... I bought a new "extra-full" Turkey Choke for my trusty old 835 the other day.

I got to pattern it this morning with 3.5" #5 Turkey mags.

I put up two 6" plates and walked about 30 yards away.
Got down into a sitting position and fired twice.

I walked up tot he plates and counted them, 47 and 59 pellets. Not bad... but I was told to expect more. I had stapled the plates up on a my well-used RR tie Backstop so I didn't notice at first that the bulk of my pattern was actually below the plates.

I put up two more plates and tried again, this time covering the targets with the end of the barrel.
JACKPOT! 102 and 136 pellets!

Anyone else going after gobblers this year?
Old February 27, 1999, 02:05 AM   #2
Jeff Thomas

Congrats on the patterns. I've never been turkey hunting. I gather they are very cagy birds, and most hunters call them in to their blind.

Would you mind relating your favorite turkey hunting tips / stories while we wait to see who else is heading out this year?
Old February 27, 1999, 02:12 AM   #3
Rob Pincus

First, I get really close the the president of the National Wild Turkey Federation, then I get him to invite me to go hunting with him in a couple weeks.

I'll let you now how it turns out.
Old February 27, 1999, 08:00 PM   #4
TENFAN

I can't wait for Turkey Season (March 20). I am going to try out my Glock Model 20 on a longbeard. Florida finally decided to allow us to hunt after 1pm (only on private land)so I will actually get to hunt all day.
Old February 27, 1999, 08:27 PM   #5
Jeff Thomas

So, is that why you guys need all that camo garb? This President is pretty alert?

OTOH, is this really hunting, or are we talkin' good bourbon here?

Good luck. It will be interesting to hear of your experience. Sounds like a great time, and a chance to learn with a master.
Old February 27, 1999, 09:34 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

I thought the season in Florida was opening earlier than that? by the 10th I thought.

The NWTF people seemto think that only bows and shotguns are good for hunting Turkey, but I would like to take one with a handgun as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Old February 27, 1999, 10:12 PM   #7
TENFAN

I am in the Northwest Zone so everything up here starts later. I have used shotguns, bows and rifles and had pretty good luck so I thought I'd see how far I can push it. I feel confident out to 35 yds or so. I actually enjoy using my .270 and find it challenging. You either kill the bird cleanly or totally miss it if you aim for the head. I try to set up and call to get a 50-75 yard shot with the rifle (from a tree stand when possible). I have shot them with a bow before and that wasn't all that hard as long as it was one bird and he started strutting and turned his back to you (of course it took a lot of birds before the right shot came along). I'll let you know how the pistol try goes. I have seen an awful lot of BIG birds during deer season. Happy Hunting.
Old February 27, 1999, 10:16 PM   #8
TENFAN

I don't know if that last post about the bow hunting turkeys sounded right. I didn't mean to sound like it was that easy. I missed a lot and had several putt and run while drawing. If you think a deer can jump a string you should see a turkey. By the way rob I have been eyeing a new 835 Realtree, so how bad do those suckers kick with 3 1/2 inchers?
Old February 28, 1999, 07:22 PM   #9
Andy

I didn't get picked in the raffle to get a tag this year. Oh well. My dad and little sister got them though so maybe I can do some calling for them. There's always next year.

Andy
Old February 28, 1999, 08:11 PM   #10
Rob Pincus

Tenfan,

I am not going to lie to you, It kicks worse than any gun I own. It is worse than my .50BMG.

Old March 1, 1999, 09:43 AM   #11
MarkW

I can't wait for opening week of the spring Turkey season!! I love it.

I will be hunting in Colorado, South Eastern Area this year.

Anyone have advice, tricks or comments for this area?

MW
Old March 1, 1999, 12:04 PM   #12
Mendocino

I got a new extra-full turkey choke on Saturday; I have yet to pattern it though. The area around my house is incredibly thick with turkeys. Last year I shot a 25 pound Tom with a nine inch beard about 200 yards from my house. It was great. This year I am hunting on some BLM land that is a boat-in only hunt. It should be a lot of fun, as there are only a few folks that hunt this remote area. The season in California opens on 27 March. Good Luck to all...
Old March 4, 1999, 10:07 PM   #13
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Good luck, all. I will be going after swamp turkeys. I hunt swamp deer, swamp hogs, and swamp turkeys. Last year I even saw some swamp quail.
Old March 7, 1999, 04:11 PM   #14
Dennis Glover

Spartacus,

I know you turkey hunters are go anywhere type people but you mentioned swamp quail. If you live where I do that is one of the secrets you would keep to yourself. Just kidding. Swamps are a great place to hunt. Sounds as though youv'e got the ideal place. You sure won't have to fight the crowd there.

Keep on Swamping