The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2001, 08:49 PM   #1
Lavan

Beretta A303 failure to fire......

But only intermittently. Have cleaned it scrupulously. Changed mainspring. Seemed to help some but it clicked on a round yesterday. When it was bad, it was 1 or 2 out of each box of Federal (I have had MUCHO trouble with Federal .22's) Gen'l purpose shotshells. 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. But it is the best scoring load that my gun likes for trap.
Has been 2 mos or so since changing spring. Doubt it the spring as the 1st one that came with the gun has been goin fine for 8 yrs+
When I cleaned it yesterday, I found some dirt where the lock block locks to barrel extension but it didn't seem to be enough to keep the block down far enough to block firing pin.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah should mention that a 2nd try always fires the shell.
Old August 17, 2001, 06:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Lavan, you've eliminated a dirty bolt. It could be just hard primers but there's always the possiblity of the primers not being fully seated. The first strike of the pin actually seats the primer fully and the second fires it. Have you tried and does it happen with other ammo? George
Old August 17, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
Lavan

George...good idea.

Will try another brand or some cheapies. Made me mad Wed. cuz I had not missed a target in last 3 times at trap range an after the CLICK I missed 2 in a row. grrrr....heh

I .....CAN'T.....change brands. Those doggone 3 drammers took me out of a 4 month slump. boo hoo.