The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2013, 08:43 PM   #26
steveNChunter

Federal power shock in the blue box has always used different bullets in any given caliber from mostly Speer or Sierra. I used to buy some .25-06 blue box ammo that was loaded with Sierra Pro-hunter 117 grainers.

Does the Deer Thugs ammo have the flat skived tip on the bullet and a flat base? If so it is most likely the Deepcurl.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:52 PM   #27
2ndtimer

Quote:
Does the Deer Thugs ammo have the flat skived tip on the bullet and a flat base? If so it is most likely the Deepcurl.
I haven't pulled one of the bullets to check, but I believe the .243's I looked at while at Walmart had the flat skived tip and the same boron nitride coating that the Deep Curl 6mm bullets I have. I have seen other posts stating that that the Deer Thugs have a flat base, also like the Deep Curls I have. Apparently, that is the main difference between the .243 Fusion ammo, which are moly coated, have a boat tail base, and weigh 95 gr. The Deep Curl 6mm bullets are offered in 80 and 90 gr weights, as are the Deer Thugs. The evidence is pretty strong that the Deer Thugs are indeed Deep Curls.
I haven't loaded my Deep Curls yet, but am looking forward to comparing them with the Speer Deep Shoks and Nosler Ballistic Tips I also have on hand. (all 90 gr in weight). Since my Sako A-7 seems to prefer the flat based 70 gr Speer TNT to the semi boat tailed Nosler 70 gr Ballistic Tips, I expect the flat based Deep Curls to perform well. So far, the Deep Shoks haven't been able to match the Ballistic Tips accuracy wise in my rifle. FWIW, the older Federal Power-Shoks group as well or better than my handloads so far. And the factory Fusion loads are not far behind pretty much matching my best handloads so far.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
reynolds357

JMR 30, in .243 Win. the Deer thugs is a bonded 90 gr deep curl. Blue box Powershocks only come in non bonded 80 and 100 gr.
Old October 9, 2014, 05:09 PM   #29
jimmyisalds

Different deer thugs bullets

I have two different boxes of deer thugs ammo in .308 but the differences are not apparent until you shoot. When deer thugs first appeared I bought a few boxes. The next year I bought more but they looked different (coated). I pulled a bullet from each and the difference was realized. The earlier version which registered at 2700 fps were boat tail soft points (165gr). The newer bullets which were also 165gr registered at 2650 had a flat base. The difference at the range was noticed as well. Groups at 100 yards with the boat tail were 3/4 inch and the flat base bullet was 1 1/2 inch group. The only way to tell the difference when buying is to look at the picture on the back of the box and notice the subtle difference of the flat base vs the boat tail base.
Old October 31, 2014, 01:20 PM   #30
Royfiii

"Deer Thug" Power Shok ammo

I agree it sounds like a stupid name. According to Mossy Oak, however, it is an acronym. See their quote below. Good cause, unfortunate tag.

"In addition to providing hunters a reliable, deadly bullet, the Deer THUGS line helps supports a noble cause. THUG is actually an acronym: Today’s Hunters United for Good. All of the products licensed under the name, including the TV show, provide support for wounded veterans. A portion of the proceeds from each box of Deer THUGS ammunition goes to the Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund, which was created by the Paralyzed Veterans of America, a service organization devoted to helping veterans with spinal cord injuries or dysfunctions. The fund provides opportunities to paralyzed veterans to participate in hunting trips and recreational shooting, as well as supports fishing, handcycling, triathlon and track-and-field activities."

My '49 and '62 Win. Mod. 70's in '06 like these cartridges better than boat-tails.
Old November 1, 2014, 09:33 AM   #31
barnbwt

"12ga dear thugs for thoothers wif a thpeash impedidiment"
--Daffy Duck and/or Elmer Fudd and/or Porky Pig

TC
Old November 8, 2014, 12:39 PM   #32
Unlicensed Dremel

Ugh. I hate ridiculous superfluous marketing like this.

I thought maybe this was for hunting the deer around Ferguson, MO.
Old November 8, 2014, 12:57 PM   #33
Water-Man

"Ugh. I hate ridiculous superfluous marketing like this."

Get used to it because it's going to get worse.