The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2006, 06:39 PM   #1
LH2

Best carry method while driving?

Since the seatbelt interferes with a gun kept on the right-hand side of the belt, what's the best way to carry in a vehicle?

Do those of you who carry right-side IWB, OWB or pocket remove your gun and keep it nearby in the vehicle when driving?
Old March 30, 2006, 06:54 PM   #2
rapier144

In high crime areas i put mine under my leg in case i need it fast. If not that i just leave it in the holster.But i don't wear a seatbelt either.
Old March 30, 2006, 06:55 PM   #3
rapier144

In high crime areas i put mine under my leg in case i need it fast. If not that i just leave it in the holster.But i don't wear a seatbelt either.
Old March 30, 2006, 07:02 PM   #4
KC135

As I am right handed, I use a Hume JIT crossdraw.

In order to use the gun with any degree of success, practice is needed. Best to roll window down , wear a headset, and wraparound safety glasses.

Lots of dry fire first.

Remember, the firearm is a last resort in this situation, learn proper techniques to lesson the chance of needing a gun in the car.

I leave 15 feet mini mun between me and the vehicle in front of me at any stop light/sign. Do my best not to be boxed in any lane. Always courteous.
Old March 30, 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
kjdoski

I've spent lots of time working and driving, and have yet to have a situation where my seatbelt inhibitted my draw. Lean forward, shift slightly left, and draw; NBD. I've done this drill literally hundreds of times in training, both from the driver's seat and passenger's seat - never had a problem. You WILL, of course, most likely "laser" your right leg during the draw and pivot, so Safety Rule #3 is paramount here...

Crossdraw is more convenient while seated, no doubt, but doesn't conceal as well, for me, so isn't worth the effort of putting on and taking off holsters. A "Driving" holster would be theoretically ideal, but I don't have $100 lying around for a good one, so I just make due...

One thing I did learn, the hard way, was that changing carry locations to suit vehicle use/dress is NOT a good thing. One one pretty hairy occassion in Haiti, when the crowd was getting restless and shots were starting to ring out; both my partner and I (lifelong strongside hip holster guys) were slapping our empty right hips looking for our pistols, forgetting we were using shoulder rigs over our BDUs...

YMMV, of course...

Regards,

Kevin
Old March 30, 2006, 07:45 PM   #6
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

One of my earliest teachers taught me to take the pistol from the [wherever you wear it] holster and tuck it in the belt on the left side at 10 o'clock, butt-forward crossdraw. Gun is least accessible to potential assailants who are in or enter from the passenger side, and still accessible to you with either hand. A left hand reverse cavalry draw leaves your right hand free to drive, shift, control an unruly passenger, or tune the radio.
The Miami shootout should have taught everyone the folly of un-holstering and putting the gun on or under the seat, or under the butt of the nut behind the wheel.
Old March 30, 2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Mannlicher

Sometimes I wear a "carjacker crossdraw" by Sam Andrews. Other times, I slip a handgun into the front seat pocket of the pick up truck seat cover.

www.andrewsleather.com

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 31, 2006, 08:13 PM   #8
j1132s

Normally I don't remove the gun when in the car, which makes my pocket carried gun pretty much inaccessible. If I 'm going into a bad area and want to have access, I'd move it to the passenger seat and cover it w/ something.

I've been wanting to install a holster beneath the driver seat, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old March 31, 2006, 08:18 PM   #9
Blackwater OPS

Shoulder holster=simple.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 31, 2006, 09:56 PM   #10
BADMAN400

I keep the Kel-Tec P-32 in my right pocket at all times, the Beretta Tomcat 32 (BUG) in easy reach of the right hand in small console slot under the car stereo, and the Taurus PT-145 (BBUG) in middle console under my right elbow.
Old March 31, 2006, 11:39 PM   #11
JustSteve

CCW in car

Currently this isn't a problem in Ohio,our law states your weapon must be in full view , but on your person in a holster.I have a cheap belt holster that I clip onto the seatbelt and it works fine
Old April 1, 2006, 05:47 AM   #12
DunedinDragon

I wear OWB in a leather holster and I don't really have a problem with this at all. I simply reposition the holster to about the 4 o'clock position, pull my shirt up and over the gun so it's exposed, and can easily reach it without the seatbelt interfering. I figure if I get stopped by a cop I can easily pull my shirt back over my gun.
Old April 1, 2006, 07:02 AM   #13
jburtonpdx

Quote:
my partner and I (lifelong strongside hip holster guys) were slapping our empty right hips looking for our pistols
Another example of "You will fight like you train". Thank you for the real life example...

Quote:
I have a cheap belt holster that I clip onto the seatbelt and it works fine
You might want to consult an attorney about that, seems I have read about somebody doing just that and getting into a discussion with the officer regarding the fine points of "on your person" vs. "clipped to the seatbelt".

Personally I am a coward and so very afraid of jail here in central Ohio that I wear the Holster Hat to ensure the firearm is in plain site when my vehicle is aproached. As a side benefit, my neck has gotten much stronger also! plain site sucks....
Old April 1, 2006, 10:49 AM   #14
Rightwinger

I just practiced drawing from my right hip. It took a while to get the maneuver down, but with practice it became easy. A slight shift forward is all it takes, at least for me.
Old April 1, 2006, 11:07 AM   #15
DunedinDragon

Quote:
I just practiced drawing from my right hip. It took a while to get the maneuver down, but with practice it became easy. A slight shift forward is all it takes, at least for me.
Yeah...pretty much the same move you'd be making if you were reaching for your wallet or unbuckling your seatbelt.
Old April 1, 2006, 11:10 AM   #16
Rightwinger

Exactly why my wallet rides in the console, just in case I happen to get pulled over.
Old April 1, 2006, 03:09 PM   #17
JustSteve

Holster hat?

JB - what's a holster hat?and I clip mine to tha seatbelt to keep it stationary while driving.I'm not the right shape for any type of IWB while in my car
Old April 1, 2006, 03:48 PM   #18
steelheart

I keep my 1911 in a zip-up cordura book cover that looks like a planner. It sits in the passenger seat next to me, or on the back seat if I have a passenger up front.
Old April 1, 2006, 03:51 PM   #19
Edward429451

If you have bucket seats (or maybe even a bench seat?) its no biggie to strap a belt around the seat down low with amost any old holster on it. Same drawstroke & direction as going for wallet/seatbelt, very secure, in plain view, can easily drape a hat over it to not scare the sheeple, holster matches weapon worn on belt for quick switching getting in/out etc., and best of all...concocted with stuff on hand and gives use to one of those holsters laying in the holster graveyard junk drawers. Extra mag carrier can be put on also.
Old April 1, 2006, 05:04 PM   #20
M1911

I keep the seatbelt strapped low. It does not interfere with my draw from a right-hand, strong-side holster. I do drape my cover garment over the seatbelt, so that the seatbelt is not wrapped on top of the cover garment.

YMMV.