The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 11, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Andrew LB

I need to find a good firearm and accessory store in Southern California.

I live in Long Beach, just south of LA and wanted to find a brick and morter store where i can actually see some products before buying. I usually go to Turners (www.turners.com) since they're right here in Signal Hill and another in Huntington Beach.

I'm looking into buying new sights for my Springfield XD-9 and perhaps later on find a local smith that can tweak around with things to make it have a softer trigger pull as well as i need some work done on my old WW2 Service Issue US Navy Colt .45 ACP. The Colt has a habit of not ejecting the spent casing properly and it gets stuck in the slide on occasion. I only want to deal with the best of the best when it comes to this stuff since that colt is very precious to me becuase it was my grandfathers sidearm in WW2.

My dads old smith is no longer with us but did amazing work to my .357 magnum about 15 years ago.... so i'm lookin' for a new very reputible guy to do future work.

I also need to have a smith check out a recently inherited 1930's Belgium Browning 16ga semi auto shotgun and a german WW2 Luger that a friend gave me from his collection becuase his new wife wouldn't let him have guns around the house..... (typical California woman...)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew
Old February 11, 2005, 01:31 PM   #2
dasmi

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...sa=X&oi=localr

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...sa=X&oi=localr
Old February 11, 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Cazach

Andrew,

The Stockade in Westminster @ 405/Beach Blvd. (IIRC) has a good selection of guns and holsters as well as a good mix of accessories. Prices are usually steep though. Maybe worth taking a look.

Only local smith experience I have is with Michael (or Mitchell??) Bros. on Lakewood and Florence in Downey. This was years ago but they did some solid work.

Hope this helps.
Old February 11, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Andrew LB

I know how to use google. If you had read my post i was asking of any good shops and smiths that someone here could RECOMMEND. There are plenty of crappy gun stores around or ones that are operated by a**holes like the shooting range by LAX. I shot for my first time there yesterday and the guy was a total prick. I don't care how busy he was.... at least be polite.

Plus i sure as hell aren't going to pay $225 for a year membership where all you get is 50% off rentals (mine are far nicer), 7% off their overpriced ammo... and then when the guy copped an attitude about my objection to paying $150 for 1000 9mm reloads... i told him i can get white box winchester at walmart for $10.99 or at www.turners.com for $13.99. And its far better ammo than his crap.

I was so unhappy with my visit, I even took home all my .357 mag, .45, .270 winchester rifle casings home so the dude didn't get free copper casings.

As for shooting ranges, i'm going to stick with the Firing Line ($150 membership, free rentals, cheap ammo, and friendly service) in Huntington Beach and San Gabriel Gun Club out off the 605 and 210 freeways.
Old February 12, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5
drifts1

When i lived in orange County(home) my favorite store was B&E Guns in Cypress on Lincoln Blvd. They had the best prices and neatest accs.
Bought my G19 for $398, My arsenal AK for $299, y Mak $119 & they used to sell SKS for $89, I missed those days
Old February 12, 2005, 12:05 AM   #6
accordingtome

Andrew LB
((There are plenty of crappy gun stores around or ones that are operated by a**holes like the shooting range by LAX. I shot for my first time there yesterday and the guy was a total prick. I don't care how busy he was.... at least be polite.))

That would be LAXfiring range. thats where i go. they are expensive but that range is mostly for cops. As the cops get the better prices. That place is always jammed and the parking sucks. Was the Prick the lanky white guy or the old asian guy.. there are two you know.hahaa

I go to the Turners on Signal Hill too.. I buy all my stuff from Dave as he is the least likly to try to BS me. Pretty cool guy.

How far is that place you go to "Firing Line" from say the turners in Signal hill as it takes me fifteen minutes to get there from my house i can just add.
thanks man
Old February 12, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7
mikikanazawa

Quote:
a**holes like the shooting range by LAX
Yeah! You mean "LAX Range," right? I've been there, they are quite rude. It's too bad; they have a great selection of rental guns. That whole thing where you enter a dark hall and hand all your guns to them through a gas-station-sliding-drawer thingy is supposed to prevent something other than your continued patronage?
Old February 12, 2005, 12:40 AM   #8
accordingtome

The prices are high.. but thats the only place i know.. Would love to find a cheaper place to shoot. What i wouldn't give for some REDNECK woods to go shoot in. for freeeee
Old February 12, 2005, 06:48 AM   #9
Andrew LB

Quote:

That would be LAXfiring range. thats where i go. they are expensive but that range is mostly for cops. As the cops get the better prices. That place is always jammed and the parking sucks. Was the Prick the lanky white guy or the old asian guy.. there are two you know.hahaa
It was the white guy. I guess he is the owner. He lost a lot of business from me that day considering I was going to buy a year membership ($250) as well as 1000 rounds of 9mm reloads which i already had the old guy grab for me. My buddy was going to make the same purchase as well.

...oh well.

Quote:
I go to the Turners on Signal Hill too.. I buy all my stuff from Dave as he is the least likly to try to BS me. Pretty cool guy.
Thats where i bought my XD-9 and some other stuff. They've always been really nice and helpful with questions.

Is Dave the big guy who is always behind the gun counter? If so, thats the guy who sold me my XD.

Quote:
How far is that place you go to "Firing Line" from say the turners in Signal hill as it takes me fifteen minutes to get there from my house i can just add.
I live on the Long Beach/Seal Beach border so the Firing Line is much closer for me. Its on Beach and Talbert about 4 miles south of the 405.

If there is traffic, i can take city streets and not have to deal with LAX traffic. Plus there is a turners on Brookhurst (three exits past Beach) and a Walmart a block from the range ($11.00 for 100 Winchester 9mm white box ammo).

Plus the place is rarely crowded. But the largest you can shoot is .357 mag unlike LAX which actually let me shoot my 30-30 indoors. When i fired the first round... everyone was like "what the ****??". Man that was loud!

I guess i'll have to stick with San Gabriel Gun Club for my big rifles since its pretty useless to waste ammo firing them at a range with only short distances.

Quote:
The prices are high.. but thats the only place i know.. Would love to find a cheaper place to shoot. What i wouldn't give for some REDNECK woods to go shoot in. for freeeee
Every now and then we go spend a day out in the desert and bring along my 30-30, .270, 300 Win Mag.... and last time i borrowed my dads old 375 H&H Magnum. Man did that thing kick!
Old February 12, 2005, 07:02 AM   #10
accordingtome

Ya man.. Dave is the big guy with one short finger. Hell of a nice guy, Bald white guy. He sold me my XD40, Mini 14, 22 rifle, Safe.. well pretty much everything.

The white guy at LAXRANGE is not the owner he just runs it. He is sort of cool. He actually cleaned my gun for free once. BUT very cocky man.

The other turners your were talking about.. is that the one by the Traffic Circle?? I have not been to that one. I go to the one in Torrance sometimes but it sucks.

Man every time i go to Vegas i look out at all that open space to shoot.. I want to go.. any idea on a good spot?

Last edited by accordingtome; February 15, 2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old February 12, 2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Andrew LB

I don't recall there being a turners at the traffic circle. There is a big 5 sporting goods but thats abouit.

The one in huntington beach is here: http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.php

oops... they consider it Fountain Valley, not HB.

As for shooting spots, we've been to a few places out in the Mojave desert where we just find a road and go far from any highways or civilization. I hear its now illegal to shoot in San Bernadino and Riverside counties now. Our drives took us to Kern County a few times and it makes a cool day trip for camping.

I'm suppoed to be going in two weeks with some friends out to the desert. You just gotta be careful to not risk getting stopped by the cops since if i made a mistake and shot in an area where its not permitted, i would lose some very valueable firearms which many have sentimental value like my great grandfathers A.H. Fox 16ga shotgun (made prior to 1920) or my Belgium Browning 16ga semi-auto that was a gift from a political figure i know.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:47 AM   #12
mikikanazawa

There is a Turner's in Signal Hill directly across the street from Costco, and there's one in Norwalk right off the 605 freeway at the Firestone exit.

http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.php

In my experience, there is ONE guy at the Norwalk store that knows anything, he is a big guy with dark features and curly hair. The rest are pretty clueless.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:57 AM   #13
accordingtome

Sheesh ya i was thinking of the Big 5. I picked up my SKS today and after three hours of trying to get all that cosmo off arrrgghhh... man!! I gave up for today. Im going to try again tomorrow
Old February 15, 2005, 02:05 AM   #14
mikikanazawa

Hey, I bought a Mosin from that Big 5 near the traffic circle for like 59 bucks a year or so ago. ANYBODY can afford decent self-defense when those things go on sale! (I keep two in the home emergency kits - you know, in case of urban decay hahaha.)