The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 14, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Panfisher

Bushnell 1.5 x 4 scope on my AR

Looking for a decent for the price scope to replace the old one I have on it now. Since it has no open sights (Rem R-15) I am looking for something with plenty of view at short range with enough magnification to place shots with decent accuracy. I realize the lower magnification may hinder me on longer shots but will give much better field of view at close range. Other option I am considering is a Redfield 2-7, more magnification, larger scope but still a pretty good field of view up close. Any experience with either scope??
Old November 14, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Sweet Shooter

You mean 1.5–4 x something? I failed to find a reasonably priced low power scope such as that, at least that looked like real quality. In the end went with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32. Which is still fairly compact.
-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; November 14, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
wnycollector

I own one bushnell scope (trophy XLT 2-6x32 LER) and it's excellent quality. I also own a Redfield 2-7x32 with the Accu-Range Reticle scope as well. The Redfield is mounted on one of my AR's and it is fantastic for that application. I think 2-7 is the perfect scope for an AR. I love to shoot offhand with the scope set to 2x and then dial the power up to 7X and shoot off a bench for precision work.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
JimDandy

Get the Strikefire Red dot, and the VMX3 magnifier on swingout mount from Vortex... it'll run you just under 500, including the mounts, but I'm supremely satisfied with it. Good out to at least 225 with the magnifier, and still wonderful at 25.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
jmr40

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-...pe-P51851.aspx

This is what I'm using. I couldn't be happier. The 1X is much faster to use up close than even 1.5X. I didn't think it would really matter, but it did. 4X is very useable at ranges beyond 200 yards if you need some longish range precision. If you think you need more precision, or will shoot at longer ranges a 2-7 makes sense, but I'd still pay a little more for the Leupold over the Redfield. I have the Redfield, it is a great scope for the money, but the VX-1 is better for only $20 more.

There are some good scopes out with glass as good as the Leupold selling for only a little less, but I much prefer the VX-1 Leupolds for other features that the competition in the same price range do not offer. Leupolds are smaller, lighter, have far more eye relief, lifetime no questions asked wrranty and they can be sent to the custom shop for turrets, custom reticles etc if you desire.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Panfisher

Sorry was typing faster than I could think. 1.5-4.5 x 32 Bushnell. I honestly am not interested in a Red Dot + magnifiers. Just a solid lower power scope. such as the 1.5 - 4.5 or 2-7 x33 on the big end. Don't want it to be too heavy as it changes the balance on rifle. Reviews on the Bushnell seem to be love it or hate it. I'll take another look at the Leupolds too.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Sweet Shooter

That scope gets 4.5 starts from 26 reviews on Midway and is currently on sale at about 60 bucks. I think it looks okay but I have not looked through one.

I've only had one cheap Bushnell (Banner) years ago and it failed (Cross-hairs became diagonal). I have bought sub 100 dollar scopes that have had glass actually come loose. I have had three Leo's recently all of which had distortions in the glass. I have owned four Prostaff scopes and have never had an issue with them... they are crystal clear from edge to edge and very bright. But while cheap they are still twice the price of the Bushnell you are looking at.

I know what I would do, but you might just get lucky and you might have that scope last years and years... who knows these days?
-SS-
Old November 14, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Mobuck

We get good mileage out of the little Bushnell Banners in that power range. I've carried one for 3 winters and haven't needed to rezero once. Work real well on AR carbines but not enough magnification to work an AR 20" rifle to it's potential.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

I'm running a Burris MTac 1-4x on my AR and shots out to 600 yards have been easy. It is a little pricier than some.... But it is worth it.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old November 14, 2012, 08:46 PM   #10
GeauxTide

I put a 1x4 Busnell Trophy with the Circle X reticle on my Kel-Tec SU-16. It's dynamite for less than a hunert. Put another on my M788 in 308. Love them.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Dr Big Bird PhD

While we're on the subject, I've been looking at Barska Scopes for my AR.

They have some really good 1.5-4 and 2-7 deals, but I'm wary about new scopes under $120
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 14, 2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Marquezj16

Nikon M-223 in 1-4x is my choice. 4x is good enough up to 300 in my eyes.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:32 PM   #13
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Big Bird PhD View Post
While we're on the subject, I've been looking at Barska Scopes for my AR.

They have some really good 1.5-4 and 2-7 deals, but I'm wary about new scopes under $120
Barska scopes are really bottom of the barrel. If your looking for bargain store pricing look at Tasco's World Class line of scopes. I'm not saying they are world class, that is the name of the product line.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #14
JimDandy

When I got my AR, I ended up picking up a Tasco from Walmart, and a Barska from Amazon just to have tubes of varying sizes to play with while deciding on what I wanted to eventually end up with from Leupold, as I find they're the best choice for High quality optics.. they're on the lower end of the top tier, and provide an unlimited lifetime warranty on their (non-electronic) gold ring line.

I found the Tasco to be much less... satisfying than the Barska. Neither is really knock-your-socks-off, but the Tasco felt like it was one bump on the road to the range from broken, while the Barska felt like it was solid enough to be a cheap workhorse for times when fun shooting was more important than squeezing every last bit out of your group size.

As an aside, I was just moving all the different tubes I bought for experimentation, and picked up the UTG 1-4x24 CQB scope. It was much better than I remembered since I didn't spend a lot of time experiementing with it. It doesn't work on a standard profile unless you can get it over the sight tower, but with a flipup front sight, or no front sight at all, I wouldn't mind using it.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:05 AM   #15
ang4me

I also have a Burris MTAC 1-4x. Depending on your needs, having a true 1x can be a real asset, allowing you to shoot with both eyes open. The illuminated BDC reticle is also a great tool to have at your disposal, in my opinion.