The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 7, 2018, 03:56 PM   #1
ed308

LaRue's MBT Trigger on Sale for $87 Through Christmas

Now even better. LaRue's MBT Trigger on sale for $87 through Christmas.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...eid=0885f70c2a
Old July 7, 2018, 04:34 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

I'll be getting a couple of those that price is unbeatable
Old July 7, 2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Mobuck

Got one on the way to test before going any deeper.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:17 AM   #4
turtlehead

Bought one last week for $99.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Nathan

I think this is good info when selecting a trigger....

Trigger Scan for MBT....LINK

The MBT looks pretty good!
Old July 11, 2018, 05:35 PM   #6
stagpanther

Edit: Their website updated today saying the order is "complete."

Last edited by stagpanther; July 12, 2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:33 PM   #7
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Note that they are applying the "Mississippi two step" ordering process--they don't actually have them in stock--my order of 3 days ago looked hunky dory and just updated to back-order status while it still looks like they are taking orders for them.
They are probably selling like hotcakes right now.
Old July 11, 2018, 08:20 PM   #8
ed308

I got my shipping notice today for order 6507xx. Shipped faster than expected. Mine was also marked as backordered.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:49 AM   #9
Sevens

Not sure from which nether region we are pulling this "Mississippi" stuff from...

It's long ago established that LaRue offers this trigger two ways:
$99 if you can wait til we make it
$MORE for exact same thing if ya gotta have it now

Difference now is $87 instead of $99.

What you may have trouble finding is folks who don't think this trigger is an absolute STEAL.
Old July 12, 2018, 02:36 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
It's long ago established that LaRue offers this trigger two ways:
$99 if you can wait til we make it
$MORE for exact same thing if ya gotta have it now
I'm sure they're great--their product description surely makes that clear. But I don't see anywhere in that description a scaled pricing/shipping policy on orders. Nor do I see an actual availability status on the product ordering window. Just calling it as I see it.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:34 AM   #11
Mobuck

I didn't notice a notation about backorder. Guess I don't need it right this minute anyway but getting it promptly so it can be tested will make further sales more likely.
Old July 12, 2018, 05:55 PM   #12
ed308

Look at your order on LaRue's website. That's where it will say if it's backordered. I wouldn't worry about it. My order said it was backordered the day before it shipped. Mark LaRue has stated they made the "I can wait triggers" when they had spare time. That's why they took longer to ship. The people who had to have one ASAP paid full price got triggers already machined and ready to ship. He may have decided to drop the the two price system based on how well the trigger has been received and being a hot item (with 42,000+ sold). But who knows, he may return to the dual price system after this sale ends in December.

I wish he'd put the LT104 mounts back on sale. Bought three of those when he put them on sale for $165 a while back. I think that was his divorce celebration sale!

Last edited by ed308; July 12, 2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old July 12, 2018, 06:18 PM   #13
stagpanther

My status updated to "completed" today --though it still hasn't been picked up for shipping. My guess is that there web cart thingie isn't quite coordinated with their inventory database. I've seen this before with other merchants--but nowadays most merchants are pretty careful to mark their stuff as "as of stock" or "back-ordering OK" when ordering. If the trigger is as good as they--and you--say it is; I'll probably forget about it pretty quickly.

You're not a shill for these guys, are you?
Old July 12, 2018, 08:01 PM   #14
ed308

Got mine today. Only the trigger in the box. Usually LaRue ships freebies with orders, like LaRue bumper stickers, Constitutions, targets, paint can mixer, Dillo bottle opener and Dillo Dust. I've got plenty of those items so no complaints here. But some may be disappointed.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:55 PM   #15
Mobuck

I got a call from them today--seems I transposed numbers on my credit card. Got that fixed and my order was completed today.
Old July 13, 2018, 12:49 AM   #16
marine6680

With the lighter trigger spring, mine breaks at 3lb...

I want to get another one for my fiance's rifle. Hers is more precision focused.

It will be a little heavier than the trigger she has now, but not by much, and the break is cleaner.

This sale is a great price for a very good trigger.
Old July 13, 2018, 09:18 AM   #17
riffraff

Never messed w/ a trigger and have one complete lower that I'd like to use but tends to sit idle because the trigger is particularly bad. Maybe this is the right upgrade..

What considerations do I need to make as far as fitment?
Old July 13, 2018, 02:15 PM   #18
ed308

Not much different than installing a mil spec AR trigger. I find them easier to install than Timney triggers. Getting the allen screws aligned on those triggers can be difficult. With a milspec or two stage trigger, just make sure you got the springs installed correctly. That's where most people make a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MA5OqTsWU
Old July 14, 2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Nathan

Riffraff,

Generally AR parts require no fitting. Likely your pin holes , are in spec, so, you should be fine to install. You probably have to remove the safety, which requires loosening your grip.

I say probably because it depends on the trigger design.

Not to change your minds, but if you think you would prefer a single stage, this might be a better choice for you....LINK
Old July 14, 2018, 01:23 PM   #20
marine6680

I find that the wider trigger box on the MBT to be hit and miss on needing to remove the grip.

It depends on how tight the opening for the trigger is. On my BCM I had to remove the grip enough to let the safety rotate freely. On another lower with a 45/90 configurable safety, I didn't.
Old July 18, 2018, 03:51 PM   #21
stagpanther

Mine came in today--when I first opened the shipping box I was immediately impressed by the slick packaging of the trigger--A packaged thong from Victoria's Secret would be hard pressed to compare.

Parts are very well made--I like the extra width of contact surfaces and the fact that LaRue has thoughtfully included the trigger and hammer pins--in addition to a heavier trigger spring should you want more pull to get the break.

I decided to give it the "acid test" and swap out the adjustable JP trigger on my 224 valk build which is a single stage presently conservatively set at 4lbs pull.

LaRue says that their trigger has a 2.5 lb first stage and 2 lb second--my measurements seem to indicate the opposite--more like 2 lb first and an additional 2.5 lb second to break. This probably doesn't mean much in the bigger scheme of things--though my purely subjective preference is that a good two stage has a noticeably defined build-up in pressure to the wall of the second stage break--and getting that break with just a slight extra pull minimizing any induced movement by the shooter. Otherwise the first stage to me feels just like a smooth take-up to break in a good single stage trigger.

Haven't fired it yet--so my impressions may change. A Geissele or CMC it's not. based on first impressions--but at it's price point definitely well-worth it (assuming it works for live fire, which I'm sure it will).
Old July 22, 2018, 10:59 AM   #22
ed308

Haven't fired it yet--so my impressions may change. A Geissele or CMC it's not. based on first impressions--but at it's price point definitely well-worth it (assuming it works for live fire, which I'm sure it will).

I like them as much as a Geissele SSA. Almost a no brainer based on cost. But I like Geissele's 1 lb pull on the SSA-E for a bench AR. I just wish they were cheaper.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:44 AM   #23
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
LaRue says that their trigger has a 2.5 lb first stage and 2 lb second--my measurements seem to indicate the opposite--more like 2 lb first and an additional 2.5 lb second to break. This probably doesn't mean much in the bigger scheme of things--though my purely subjective preference is that a good two stage has a noticeably defined build-up in pressure to the wall of the second stage break--and getting that break with just a slight extra pull minimizing any induced movement by the shooter. Otherwise the first stage to me feels just like a smooth take-up to break in a good single stage trigger.
Agreed. Rock River varmint triggers accomplish this.

The Larue first stage is too light. I tried fixing that with the heavier trigger spring, but found the poundage at the break undesirable, in part because the shape of the trigger is optimised for engaging with the very tip of the trigger finger. Reviews note that users don't have the light strike problem some experience with their Geisselle units. There is a reason for that; the Larue hammer spring is a brute.

I use the light trigger spring and a reduced power hammer spring and I polished the second stage hook surface. The total poundage several thousand rounds later is 2.5 pounds.
Old August 1, 2018, 10:00 PM   #24
berettaprofessor

Ordered my LaRue on 7/12 and received in its cute little tin today on 8/1. Switched out a 7lb milspec trigger on a precision AR and it now measures at 4 lbs...2 and 2. Can’t wait to shoot it this weekend.
Old August 6, 2018, 05:57 AM   #25
stagpanther

Quote:
the Larue hammer spring is a brute.
I haven't done it since my first or second trigger assembly--but this would be a great candidate to win the "distance launched across the room" contest.