The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Glock 269

S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum 4" Barrel

Request information on reloading powders and bullets for a medium and maximun load for this revolver.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Minimum I used to run that shot a decent group at 25 yards (1.5" range) was the Hornady 240 grain swaged lead semi-wadcutter over 4.4 grains of Bullseye. 240 grain cast bullets work well, too, and lead less.

For a maximum, I would use about any 240 grain softpoint over 24 grains of either 296 or H110 (Hodgdon's techs assure me they are the same powder from the same plant, shipped in differently labled drums). This is the Winchester factory load for this round, and I've shot a goodly number of them. I would avoid the temptation to go to much heavier bullets in the 29; too many screws to get loose. The one exception would be the exceptionally accurate 250 grain Sierra truncated cone. Over 23 grains of H110 it is a tack driver, but will not have quite the energy of the 240 grain load. It will run the same safe peak pressure.

At these original factory level loads, the 29 is one of the more comfortable shooting magnum revolvers in my experience. I own the somewhat beefier Ruger Redhawk, but don't care for the fatter grip frame on it. The single actions, like the Super Blackhawk, slip my grip too easily.

I must need larger hands. I'll keep an eye on the Health Channel's news for such medical developments.

Nick

Edit: I just looked up the Sierra. It is part of their Tournament Master brand; #8615. They call it a 250 Gr. FPJ, which I presume stands for Flat Point, Jacketed. To me "flat point" is an oxymoron. It is a truncated conical section on a cylindrical section.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:03 PM   #3
tjhands

An extremely popular higher-end (not MAX) load would be 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets under 23 grains of H-110 or W-296 powder.

Use the search function in the upper righthand section of this (and every) room. It should yield some good results for ya.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask questions! There's always somebody who can help.

Edit: Uh, you know I meant to say that the bullet goes OVER the powder, not UNDER it, right?
Old January 12, 2006, 06:06 PM   #4
tjhands

Hehehehe, your question sat all day long with no responses, then Nick and I both post virtually the same response at the same time. Too funny.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Hey, we're GOOD!
Old January 12, 2006, 06:13 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Now we just need to bottle this psychic tie-in. Sell it as Shot Synchronicity.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:58 PM   #7
45SuperBob

I was shooting a tiny bit over max load H110 with 240gr JHP last year in my 4" and 6" 629s last year and was suprised by how little the velocities changed between the two barrel lengths. I lost my book with my chrono data, so I cant be any more specific, but is H110 super fast burning or something? Unique and Blue Dot varied alot more with the different barrel lengths.
Old January 12, 2006, 07:14 PM   #8
geneinnc

pay $7.99 for a reloading manual. Never trust anyones data. Read the manual, start at minimum load,repeat. read it again. Check your scales. recheck them. read the book. recheck the scales. I'm not being cute. I check everything 3 times when i set down to load. Touch off a double charge, you will understand. SEE someone touch off a double charge, you will check four times. God help you if you squib a load and touch of another round. He might be the only one that can help you.
Old January 13, 2006, 12:48 PM   #9
caz223

23.0 grains H110 + 240 grain XTP+ magnum primers+ firm roll crimp= awesome general purpose load.

H110 is a SLOW powder.
The big difference is that is requires magnum primers, and it's sloooooowwwww burning, so that the bullet spends longer in the barrel, and pressure doesn't build up as quickly, therefore, more effective.
I know that power pistol and blue dot need a certain level of pressure to get a complete burn. H110 does too, but since it gets magnum primers, has more time to burn, is a ball powder with a lot of surface area, the case is usually at least 3/4 full, and since you can't reduce it below a starting load, it gets a pretty good consistant burn for such a slow powder.
H110 isn't very cheap because it's heavy and fills the case full, but for accuracy and consistancy, it's my go to powder for .44 mag, esp. for my snubbies.
Old January 14, 2006, 10:10 AM   #10
Glock 269

Reloading the S&W 29 4"bl

I want to thank everyone for their input on the the reloads for my S&W model 29 4" bl. Your information has been very useful.
Old January 14, 2006, 03:42 PM   #11
kingudaroad

My soft little practice load uses a 225 gr speer gold dot hollow point using the proper amount of unique powder per your loading manual.I think I use 11.5 gr. No need for magnum primers with this fast burning powder. Recoil minimal, accuracy excellent.