The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 21, 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Vietnam Era AK drum magazine?

I was looking at a sale bill for an auction that listed an AK-47 drum magazine, claiming Vietnam war history. Truth or BS? Did they exist, who would have made it.
Also listed an SKS bandolier as Vietnam War, "rare". I have Chinese Mil surp SKS bandoliers that were plentiful in the 80's, probably still are. Since a lot of Vietnam supplies came from China, I figure could just one of those. This auctioneer is kinda creative in his descriptions and histories.
I doubt the credibility as "bring backs".
Old October 21, 2018, 06:24 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

It depends on exactly what is being claimed. There is a specific difference between something "of the type used" and an item that was actually used there, and both could be from the exact same maker.

Difference between something "made during the Viet Nam era" and something "captured by PFC John Doe, at Na Trang Dong village, july 17 1968, and having papers that say that, as opposed to someone just saying that.

Got any idea how many German pistols came home with a story "taken off a Nazi officer"? No matter if it was, or taken from an other rank, or picked out of a pile of turned in weapons or won in a poker game on the boat home, the story is almost always the same.

If they are claiming the actual item is a historical item, then they better have VALID paperwork to back that up. Otherwise its just a story added in the hopes somebody will pay more for it.

Literally tons of Combloc weapons accessories came into the US after the fall of the Wall, most of it from the same people who made and supplied it to Vietnam. IF you are going to pay a premium between two identical items, because one was in a certain place and time, get solid proof, before opening your wallet.
Old October 21, 2018, 08:53 PM   #3
bamaranger

RPK drum?

The RPK (Russian) was a light MG or squad automatic from the Vietnam era.
Roughly speaking, the RPK is a strengthened and lengthened version of the AKM/AK47 to accomodate the increased firing in the SAW role. The RPK was fed with a 40 rd AK/AKM box type mag, or a rotary drum. The RPK can also accept the 30 rd standard AKM/AK box magazine, and I believe, conversely, the AK/AKM can take the RPK drum and certainly the 40 rd box.

But I do not believe that the 40 rd box, or the drum was ever "intended" for the AK /AKM. Whether the drum in question is a war trophy from an RPK is another matter. There are a LOT of drums out there these days that look period. Somebody might find some Chinese or Cyrillic on the drum and label it from that nation, both supplying arms to the NVA and Viet Cong.

Somebody surely knows more about this than I do.
Old October 22, 2018, 12:08 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...This auctioneer is kinda creative..." Isn't just him. Lot of 'em are very creative. Doesn't matter what they're selling either.
As mentioned, the North Vietnamese were supplied by both Russia and China. More from the Russians than Chinese as the Viet's and Chinese did not and do not play well together. China was forever invading Viet Nam. Last time was in 1979. China lost.
According to these guys, the RPK was certainly used by the NVA/VC, but that doesn't mean that mag was.
https://technologyofthevietnamwar.wo...t-machine-gun/