The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2021, 11:14 AM   #1
KMAX

Thoughts on Stoeger Condor O/U

I am not really a shotgun person but I am thinking about buying a new shotgun. I have never owned or even shot an over/under shotgun, but am sort of intrigued by the idea. I have always used a single, sxs, or auto-loader, but mostly a pump. I don't want to invest heavily because it would be used for occasional hunting. What are your thoughts on the Stoeger Condor series in 20 gauge or 12 gauge?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 11, 2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Blindstitch

I know a few people that have them and like them as a cheap beat around gun vs taking out a Citori or silver pigeon. I don't know if it ever got fixed but when I was in the market for one there were people who were having problems firing the second barrel. One guy I saw would shoot the first barrel and hit the stock on the ground to get it to trip to the second barrel. My friend who bought one 3 years ago has never had problems with his so maybe they fixed all that by now.
Old January 11, 2021, 06:00 PM   #3
bamaranger

two

Guy I worked with bought one for each of his boys as starter trap guns. Both guns had the "second shot" problem over time. I dunno what he did, but....

....there is a "you Tube " video that addresses a fix. Always thought the stubby Stoeger Outback would be a good utility gun.
Old January 11, 2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Scorch

My main thought is "don't". I have seen several Condors that shot loose fairly quickly, and Stoeger is pretty hard to deal with.
Old January 11, 2021, 08:46 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Own many shotguns. While I do not shoot skeet/ trap anymore, I do a lot of deer hunting/turkey hunting. Many trips into rough terrain. I use to carry a Benelli Ultra Light, but talked to a few friends at the hunt club that have had them for years that were carrying the Stoeger OU 20" with chokes. They swore by them and I bought one and never looked back. Have shot a lot of buckshot in the past couple of years. I mean a lot! Also a lot of turkey loads, slugs and mini shells.
Design is based on the Beretta. No where near as fancy or the smooth polished metals but one heck of a Utilitarian shotgun. Tough Bird and has been totally reliable from day one. Love the fact that I can have a 20" threaded for chokes.
I have a few friends that shoot the heck out of the OU tactical, I see them almost every weekend. They love the gun. Dollar for dollar a great buy. I am totally happy.
You can spend 2 grand to 10 grand on one if you prefer. Just not see the need to spend that much money unless you are really into skeet competition etc. Each to his own. Like any OU just keep the gun clean.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 11, 2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old January 12, 2021, 07:59 AM   #6
stuckinthe60s

cheap gun. they handle like tanks.
cough up a little more and get a better one.
I know you want to go the econo route, but youll think of me on that one day when you have a trophy or rising pheasant lined up and it goes click.
cheap guns use to have a half way chance of being a good investment, but coupled with the diminishing quality of ammo being offered in the usa, if you choose poorly, you'll get....
cheap gun + cheap ammo = click.

it use to be... cheap gun + fine ammo = bang.

and with time, shotgunners learn that....
fine gun + fine ammo = decades of performance.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 12, 2021, 04:37 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Design is based on the Beretta.
Not trying to argue, but no, it's not. Totally different lockwork.
Old January 12, 2021, 04:43 PM   #8
FITASC

Stoegers are made in Brazil; you'd be better off with a Turkish-made CZ (Huglu)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 13, 2021, 12:16 PM   #9
stinkeypete

Buy once, cry once.

The standards are the Beretta 686 or Browning Citori. Buy a used one for $1200 now, use it with some respect for ten years then sell it for more than you paid for it. Enjoy an outstanding shotgun the whole time.

Buy a cheaper shotgun now for $800 now, sell it for $300 later. Maybe it works for you, maybe you like sending shotguns to the gunsmith.

But a used cheaper shotgun now for $400, hope the guy that paid $800 for it a couple years ago doesn’t know something you don’t.

If buying a lowest tier over and under, my first consideration would be ease and reputation of real world warranty service. If I had to throw the dice, CZ has a great reputation for service. Lots of people online are giving good reviews of CZ USA service. People don’t talk about Beretta’s great service on the 686 because they are not needing to send them back.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:41 PM   #10
FITASC

Beretta's service sucks, which is why you use Cole's in Florida or Maine for warranty work; better work, better service than Beretta.

One must remember that CZ does not make their shotguns. They are made in Turkey for them by Huglu.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 13, 2021, 05:17 PM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

No they are not Beretta's but as "Roger Pace" say's Similar. No the gun does not have "Ejectors" Trigger not as smooth etc. . Wood is very nice Turkish Walnut.
I wonder if the negative reviews here are actual owners. I have not owned one of the Skeet guns but the OU's outback with 20" barrel is definitely NOT hard to handle. On the contrary. As I said the reviews of the owners of these guns have all been positive. You might want to actually get your hands on one and shoot it before listening to internet bashing like so many other guns.
I do have other shot guns for different applications although I have not shot a Beretta Ou's since my Dad had one. That gun was problematic for him and he got rid of it.
I do not obviously live in the same world as some of the posters here, but have not seen any higher end OU's used for around $400.00. My God, it is hard enough to get Shells especially buckshot. Fortunately I stocked up for years. And have a few friends at the club that reload and have been for years.

Here is a good video with Roger Pace on the Outback 20". As I said mine is totally reliable and easy to shoot. I can only speak for myself a actual owner with a lot of experience with the gun.
You do not mention what you will be using the gun for. No I would not buy the gun for Skeet shooting or competition. . Never said that.vIf you are going to do that then YES spend $2500 at least or more and do not settle for less and I am sure it would be worth the money. I would do the same. But since I am only shooting a few thousand rounds a year with the Stoeger and only for deer and Turkey the 20" is a great gun for the cost. If he gets banged up or takes a dive in the Dink, no big deal. I refuse to take a high end gun in the Places I go. Lol, a $5,000 gun going into the swamp? Sorry, not me.
However another gun I find easy to carry and a all around gun is the Bellini Ultra light. Love that gun and one of my favorites. Actually gave mine to my son, and later bought another one. There are other nicer Semi's but at around $1500 is really not a bad price for the quality you get.

Note, as Roger say's "has been very reliable." You might take his word for it over some internet posters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_mCA1z9Uts

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 13, 2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old January 13, 2021, 09:32 PM   #12
FITASC

'Tis your money; spend it as you wish
Old January 14, 2021, 06:08 AM   #13
eastbank

i bought a used browning citori upland special 20ga with invicta chokes and 26" barrels for 600 dollars a few years ago with a slight sliver off the butt stock(looked like it was slammed or dropped hard on the butt, breaking the butt plate too) i had a slim recoil pad added. the buyer had it for sale for more than a week with out a buyer, i was surprized it was still there when i bought it..