The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
fxdrider

Hornady Size Die too small (8x57JS)

Okay, this is weird. I tried my Hornady "New Dimension" dies for the first time tonight (8mm Mauser). I attempted to resize a fired case, but met stiff resistance as the case neared the top of its travel. Not wanting a stuck case (had one of those recently in .308 with a Redding resizer), I backed the case out and noticed that a portion of the neck had been resized. It measured .337 outside diameter and .311 inside diamter. Needless to say, that is much too small for the .323 bullets the 8x57 takes. This is my first set of Hornady dies, and they seem really well made - or at least they did until they put the "squeeze" on my Mauser case. Anyone here ever have an issue like this with Hornady dies? If so, are they cool with correcting issues like this, or will I have a struggle on my hands? Clearly this is a bad die. At first I thought maybe it was sized to the 8x57's original specs, before the .323 bullet diameter was adopted. However, the original was .318 I believe, and even that wouldn't fit in a case squeezed by this die.

Thanks.
Old November 14, 2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Scorch

Never had a problem with Hornady anything, but the folks at Hornady are really nice, I'm sure they will take care of any problem you bring to their attention.
Old November 14, 2007, 02:27 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

.311" after passing the expander ball on the way out?

Then it is way too small for 8x57. You need to talk to Hornady. Your die is either cut too small, or maybe mismarked (not actaully and 8mm Mauser at all). Either way, the Hornady folks will get you straightened out.
Old November 14, 2007, 06:19 AM   #4
fxdrider

Thanks. I'll give them a call this week and see if I can't get this thing squared away.