The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2009, 02:32 AM   #1
breeze

S&W model 28-1

I have been told that the S&W 28-1 is a rare version of the model 28?. Is there any difference in the parts for repairs? I cannot seem to find parts that are listed for 28-1, only 28 or 28-3. Thanks for your help.
Old March 15, 2009, 03:49 AM   #2
radom

Rare? dont think so as the last one I had cost me 199 bucks new.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
FlyFish

The "dash" numbers on S&W revolvers indicate a design or engineering change. In the case of your 28-1, the extractor rod was changed from a right-hand (on the "no dash" version) to left-hand thread; this was done in 1960 and was also done to most other S&W models around the same time. Other parts not involving the extractor rod from a "no dash" should work fine, as should virtually any parts for a -2 or -3.

With regard to rarity, the 28-2 came out in 1961, so it's probably true that there were relatively few 28-1s made. I'm not aware of any particular premium for the 28-1, though it's certainly true that some particular "-X" versions of various models are more desirable than others.
Old March 15, 2009, 05:54 PM   #4
breeze

Thanks for the information

radom - I doubt you will find one for 199 now, its been a while since you bought that one. Thanks. FlyFish - Thanks for the information, I have had this apart and pretty much re-built it using 28 parts. The difference in the rod seems to make some difference in the ejector itself, at least it SEEMS that way. I had a real problem with getting it to close after replacing it. I noticed that the ratchet assembly looked different on the new one and the old one looked like it was in 2 pieces (star was seperate from gears). I finally decided it was the part itself and sent it back, I am waiting for a replacement. It looked as though they sent me a used part. Thanks again.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
TEDDY

S&W 28

I bought my 28-2 in 69 for $69 new.then my wife 28-2 cost $150 with pacmyer pistol box and assorys in 79.they are both 6"
Old March 20, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
breeze

Good ol day's

Dontcha wish those days would come back Now ammo is approaching the price that you paid for the gun in 69 and the price of the guns are reaching alltime highs (Thanks Prez).