The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 4, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
bigbadbowtie

Pietta black powder pistols

I have inherited 2 Pietta black powder pistols. They looked to be a matched set in a wood(cheap) display case. I believe they are .50 caliber. Tag on the case says something like 2 of 2000 produced. I figure the case description might help someone identify them.

I know with little info my questions may be hard to answer but.......
Does anyone have a link that might help me identify these guns?
Are these guns made to look at or can they be shot.
If I can shoot them... anyone have a link for dummies that can help me get started. This would be my 1st ever experience with a black power gun.

I'll try and get some pictures this evening.
I know... pictures 1st but I wanted to post this before I got busy today and forgot.

Thanks
Ray
Old December 4, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
jrinne0430

Pietta

www.pietta.it/

This is their web page (currently down).
Old December 4, 2007, 08:56 PM   #3
mykeal

Not nearly enough information to identify the pistols - all we know is they currently reside in a case that may or may not have been how they were shipped/marketed by Pietta. Pictures are mandatory in this case.

What kind of pistols? Flintlock? Percussion? Revolvers? Single shot? Round or octagonal barrel? Wood, steel or brass frame? How many shots? Caliber should be stamped on the barrel.

How do you know they are Piettas?

Pietta's site has been down for many months, maybe even years, with no evidence they're interested in bringing it back up.

For general, and very useful information on getting started in black powder shooting, see the sticky note at the top if this forum. Read ALL the posts in that thread.