The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 14, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1
dlewis

Browning Auto 22 Dating

Hello everyone.

I would like to find out more information about a Browning 22. On the barrel it states 22 Long Rifle. Browning Arms Company St. Louis Mo & Montreal P.Q. -- Made in Belgium.

I looked at the Browning site and manual for this gun. I cannot find a serial number anywhere on the receiver.

It is the gun of a friend that just passed away -- he was in his late 70's. He has had the gun for a long time but I don't know the history.

The Browning site states there is no serial number information from 1914 - 1955. Am I missing the location of the serial number? Is there any way to confirm the age of the gun and the approximate value. It is in very good condition. The barrel length is under 19".

It also has Browning leather flexible gun case with it. The end cap on the case states a US patent number, followed by 1960, then a Canadian patent number. I looked at the browing history and I thought it stated that they didn't start making leather flexible cases until 1965. The case may or may not have been purchased with the gun - not sure if he purchased the gun or if it was his father's. If he bought it - he may have bought it used (probably has receipt in his files).

The gun also has a Weaver V22 scope with the numbers 3, 4, 5 & 6 on it and Weaver 875 tip-off mounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darin Lewis

Last edited by dlewis; October 14, 2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old October 14, 2006, 06:59 PM   #2
tarheel101

Serial number location?

Look under the barrel just in front of the fore arm. There are other clues to its vintage but you would need to post some pictures and I am sure some one could help. (the rear sight is one clue)
Great little rifle, I have given one to each of my three sons (now grown men).
Tarheel
Old October 14, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
johnbt

The Belgium made U.S.-marked guns were from '56 to '74. It has the loading port in the right side of the butt stock, right? Blued receiver, light engraving, 19.25" barrel?

The V22 Weaver is probably from the '60s, although I don't remember how long they made them. I have a '67 Shooter's Bible that lists the V22 with a retail price of $14.95.

John
Old October 15, 2006, 06:47 AM   #4
dlewis

Serial Number Found -- Value?

John and Tarheel -- Thank you both very much.

The serial number is 8T 78705 (I can't believe I didn't look there). I think this means that is is a Long Rifle Caliber from 1968 with a serial number of 78705.

That makes sense. Yes, it has the loading port on the side, it is blued, has light engraving and has a 19.25" barrel. A very light gun with good balance.

I am a shot-gunner and have never owned or fired a rifle. I had to look up what the hole in the stock was for and the what the thing was that twisted in the butt of the stock. It was fun looking up the information.

He was a good friend and I may like to purchase the gun from the estate for a fair price. Everything is in very good condition. With the case and the scope, would you have any idea of the value.