The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2001, 10:47 AM   #1
E. BeauBeaux

Fobus Holster's

Tried one for the fist time last month for my 1911A1, didn't think I would like something not leather. This thing is really good or I think so anyway. Anyone else tried these, and what do you think of them? I now have one for the Beretta also.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:38 PM   #2
Correia

I like mine a lot. Very slick. And especially nice considering the only other holsters in this price range are usually cheap chunks of nylon crap.
Old July 31, 2001, 07:47 AM   #3
Aahzz

Question for those of you who have these.....

Did you buy the belt, or the paddle? I'm thinking 'bout the paddle, and wondering how well it conceals....
Old July 31, 2001, 08:32 AM   #4
PUMC_TomG

Love it!

I love my paddle...so much that i went to the store and bought two mag carriers, when I only need one!!! Dang, guess I need another mag... Seirously though, with a good belt, the paddle stays in place and draws well. No problems so far...
Old July 31, 2001, 10:32 AM   #5
E. BeauBeaux

Paddle is what I have, also the double mag holder and it's the paddle type as well. I wish I had tried this stuff when it first came out, guess it has something to do with the saying. Old dog's and new trick's.
Old July 31, 2001, 08:15 PM   #6
Skorzeny

Does a Fobus holster designed for 1911s fit Springfield "Loaded" models?

I heard that it does not. I'd appreciate it if someone can clarify.

Thanks.

Skorzeny
Old July 31, 2001, 08:17 PM   #7
Quartus

Fobus GOOD! Paddle GOOD!

Like a LOT!

Gonna buy more!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old July 31, 2001, 09:20 PM   #8
Gary H

Have the paddle. Careful, they do tear at the rivets. Fobus will replace them .. no questions asked..
Old July 31, 2001, 09:47 PM   #9
Herr Walther

I have one for my P99, PPK and my Kimber. I like them alot. They're comfortable to wear and light. They hold the gun securely, though I don't think a snatch attempt would hold onto it.

I had a rough spot on the top inside inboard edge of my Kimber holster that put a small mark on the finish on the slide top. I have since cleaned the area up with some fine sandpaper.

Good product at a good price.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 1, 2001, 08:16 AM   #10
E. BeauBeaux

Skorzeny, my 1911A1 is the loaded version 9mm and it fits perfectly. Planning on doing the IDPA fun match in August with the set-up.
Old August 2, 2001, 11:04 AM   #11
Ludwig

Yesterday I got the Uncle Mike's 1911 kydex paddle, which has adjustment screws. It cinched down to my Para P14 perfectly. Carrys it great. Looks great. Hard to take off, though. Almost had to undress. (Anyone know the secret of taking the thing off?)

I have a Fobus paddle for a Glock 19 and for a S&W J-frame. These two work great. But the Fobus 1911 holster did NOT fit my Para P14, nor did their holster for the S&W 3913 fit. Guns were loose. No adjustment screws on the Fobus. Sent them back.

At this point I will say Uncle Mike's is best.
Old August 3, 2001, 02:07 AM   #12
orlando5

Fobus website:
http://www.fobusholster.com/

Has anyone try the Roto Holsters yet?
Old August 3, 2001, 03:24 AM   #13
ArmedPatriot

My Fobus paddle far exceeded my expectations. Bought it to tide me over until I could afford "something better", but haven't found the need to upgrade. Even with a full-size auto, concealment is decent with most jackets. Weapon rides in a very comfortable and natural position. It's quite comfortable for extended wear, unless I'm wearing a particularly thin or short shirt. Heckuva deal for $20.

- AP
Old August 3, 2001, 05:20 AM   #14
PreserveFreedom

First one I bought was for my Glock. That's the belt model. I liked it so much that I bought a paddle version for my 1911. What's nice is that they grip just enough gun so that you can use it with so many similar guns that are not exactly the same. What fits your original WWI Colt 1911 will also fit your Llama MiniMax or your FireStorm double-stack and everything inbetween. What fits your full sized 9x19mm Glock with also fit your compact or sub-compact 40S&W or 45ACP. It comes in real handy if you have similar handguns or you are one that trades a lot.

Old August 4, 2001, 05:13 AM   #15
Skorzeny

Why does "Cheaper than Dirt" site list Fobus 1911 holster as "does not fit Springfield 1911s"?

I'm thinking about buying a couple of Fobus holsters, but I'd like to make sure that they fit my full-size Springfield 1911 "Loaded."

I have a Safariland paddle holster (the same one that Wilson Combat sells, I think) that fits a BHP, CZ-75 and a 1911. It is made with synthetic material, has brushed leather surface and tension screws. It is a bit pricy at about $45, but can be made to fit A LOT of different guns while still having good retention.

Skorzeny
Old August 4, 2001, 06:01 PM   #16
Bud Helms

PUMC_TomG, what kind of mag carriers did you get? I haven't found Fobus mag carriers.
Old August 4, 2001, 07:14 PM   #17
orlando5

The mag carrier are on Fobus website.
http://www.fobusholster.com/

I use sidearmor, I think they produce one of the best mag carrier.
http://sidearmor.net/
Old August 5, 2001, 07:44 AM   #18
Bud Helms

I should have been a little more specific. I've been looking for a Fobus single mag, paddle carrier for a Mak mag. I still don't see it listed in their "What Fits What" listing. Seems like they'd sell a million of 'em.

The Roto holster is a clever idea.
Old August 5, 2001, 12:44 PM   #19
orlando5

They should have it. Try emailing them. When in doubt ask.

I will probably buy the Roto holster just to try out different angles.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:00 AM   #20
BMWGS80

At the gun store I work we carry both Fobus and Uncle Mikes. I own several holsters from both. I also have several custom holsters in Kydex. Too bad these factory holsters weren't avaiable when I needed them the most. Buy the Fobus mag carriers and the UM holsters. Some of the Fobus need modifications for newer models of revolvers. They all require practice to use smoothly. Both are good products and good buys.

Cheers,

ts
Old August 6, 2001, 01:56 PM   #21
bad4u

I have the Fobus C-21 paddle holster, which I initially purchased for Para P12. Pants retention is good. Gun retention is adequate, but I doubt the gun would remain holstered in the event of a fall.

It carries my SA Champion very well also.

My only problem with the Fobus C-21 is shared by many holsters of this generic pattern - the lack of a shield between thumb safety and body. It's just too easy to inadvertently move the 1911 thumb safety to fire position by contact with my body when getting in and out of my vehicle.
Old August 6, 2001, 03:10 PM   #22
PUMC_TomG

Sensop, I have the single 9mm mag carriers. They are paddle. I can't remember the model though. It appears to be pretty universal. Considering that it fit my .40 single stack PERFECTLY. Therefore, just because the firearm isn't listed, that doesn't mean it won't fit. Go to the local gun shop and ask if you can see. Thats what I did, and it worked fine.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:01 PM   #23
Bud Helms

Good idea, Tom.
Old August 6, 2001, 07:38 PM   #24
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Fobus' new Roto-Holster is pretty slick. Can be adjusted a full 360 so you can wear it strongside, weakside crossdraw, small of back or even upside down. It's one of those, "Why didn't I think of this?"
Old August 9, 2001, 01:54 PM   #25
Correia

Skorzeny, I carry a Springfield loaded model full size in my Fobus just fine. Works great.