The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2001, 12:05 AM   #1
eyeball

Dogs

besides the gun, what is the best defense against a steroid-crazed-yellow-eyed-rabied-teeth pitbull.

I like to go jogging every now and then and the place where I jog is a canyon trail. so if I should ever scream, nobody would hear me.

what weapon (besides the gun), fighting techniques techniques should I use if I am ever confronted by one of these beasts?
Old July 27, 2001, 04:14 AM   #2
Skorzeny

Especially if you go hiking, definitely take along a walking stick made of exceptionally durable wood. If you have a short one, you can use it like a club. If you have a long one, you got a pike or a spear.

Skorzeny
Old July 27, 2001, 05:18 AM   #3
KPS

Being the owner of a Pitbull, I would have to say that if a crazed dog is attacking you a stick probably won't stop him.I would suggest carrying pepper spray from Fox Labs.It's the strongest stuff on the market.Spraying a rabid dog or person for that matter will stop their attack so you can get the hell outta there.There was a Pitbull that had to be shot 9 times with a 9mm and twice with a 12 gauge here last year by the police before it died.I don't think a baton would have stoppped that one.On any other dog I think an ASP baton might work.It's short but can be extended when you need to use it for defense.
Old July 27, 2001, 11:00 PM   #4
blades67

Get some pepper spray

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 28, 2001, 03:39 AM   #5
Skorzeny

Wooden "spears" have been used to kill wild boars. Spray, unfortunately, relies on favorable "atmospheric" conditions and allows the dog to get too close.

A long stick, used as a spear, can keep an animal at bay (which is one of the reasons why a wooden spear was probably the first human instrument of organized hunting and war).

Skorzeny