The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Rembrandt

Do the best Trap shooters carry extra ballast?

OK, a little light hearted humor here, no scientific evidence to back this up....but I'm convinced the best trap shooters have extra ballast that gives them an edge. Must have something to do with stance and having no neck.....but we have quite a few "XXXL" guys in the club that consistently grind out perfect scores. If they had to run the bases in a softball game they'd collapse at second base...but give them a shotgun and perfect scores every time. Do I exaggerate?....or do you see the same thing at your club?
Old July 13, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
zippy13

Humm…
Rembrandt, you seem to have put your finger on a trend, or perhaps we shoot at the same club. However, I do know some (okay, just one or two) trim AA/27-yd shooters. Oh, in addition to XXXL and no neck, you forget to mention beady eyed.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3
PawPaw

You'll also notice that they're usually successful in life, drive nice vehicles and spend money on shotguns. They normally drink better whiskey than I do.

Yeah, they may be carrying a few extra pounds, but that helps absorb the recoil of all those 12 gauge loads.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 13, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
zippy13

Dennis, you forgot to mention the Rolex watch.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
BigJimP

yes, Trap Shooters are way stranger ....

...than any of us Skeet or Sporting Clays shooters.... ( bigger / well, I'm not going down that path ) ...still being on the XXL Tall side of the scale (but the Tall is important ) ....
Old July 13, 2011, 07:03 PM   #6
zippy13

...than any of us Skeet or Sporting Clays shooters...
those who shoot games with doubles are virile and handsome, too.
Old July 13, 2011, 07:22 PM   #7
oneounceload

and those who shoot games with no repetition are the most secure in their manhood, as they don't need perfect scores to know they are a winner............
Old July 13, 2011, 08:11 PM   #8
PJR

It's been long known that:

Trap shooters are fat, grumpy guys in overalls who spit and scratch themselves at the most inopportune time. They are never more than 27 yards from a Budweiser. They fart.

Skeet shooters are reedy, sissy-like and border on effeminate. They cry often and will have a hissy fit if you don't stand in a perfect straight line behind the shooter during a match. White wine spritzers all around for them.

Sporting clays shooters are usually on steriods, cheat constantly and will try and nail your wife in the back of their SUV between rounds. Prefer bourbon and coke and are often found in a puddle of their own vomit in the parking lot.

FITASC shooters are mostly Europeans who speak several languages none of them fluently. They say words like parcours and chandelle but if you speak harshly to them they will immediately surrender and demand foreign aid. They drink whatever you'll buy them but prefer Calvados.

Did I miss anyone?
Old July 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #9
oneounceload

PJR

You missed the Helice/flyer shooters...............
Old July 13, 2011, 09:52 PM   #10
PJR

Quote:
You missed the Helice/flyer shooters...............
Don't know much about them. I wouldn't know a ZZ Bird from ZZ Top.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:00 AM   #11
oneounceload

Well, they DO look similar............

At least you knew the old name for Helice

Flyer shooters are mostly oil-rich Texans; their favorite drink is bourbon and branch water and they'll shoot you if you try to outspend them buying drinks; they tend to lose more money playing Gin on the side than they do shooting pigeons.
They prefer illegal Cuban cigars and illegal Mexican senoritas on the side.....

And their Prevost motor homes they drive from shoot to shoot are worth more than the GNP of most third-world nations....................
Old July 14, 2011, 10:36 AM   #12
BigJimP

Hey, I always thought you kept score --- by the best 25 out of 30 targets...and throw out the misses ..../ at least based on what I hear about scores in the clubhouse in the bs sessions....
Old July 14, 2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Rembrandt

In Iowa the best trap shooters wear bib overalls and a seed corn ball cap.....pull out their Krieghoff and Perrazi shotguns from behind the pickup seat. No Prevost motor homes, just 1/2 million dollar John Deere tractors. ....and they still don't have necks, probably why they never have an issue with lifting their cheek off the stock.
Old July 14, 2011, 03:25 PM   #14
mavracer

You want to talk extra ballest. I went to a couple big bowling pin matches in the mid 90s (when it was a hot ticket lol) if you wern't within a biscut of 400 pounds you didn't stand a chance in the shotgun division.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 14, 2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I resemble that remark....

While Harrison III and Campbell look more like Sumo Wrestlers than supermodels, I do know plenty of fine shotgunners with that "Lean and hungry look" the Bard attributed to Cassius.

One fine young lady Trapshooter I know slightly is one click bigger than Tinker Bell and kicks everyone's whatever. Best guess, 5'4" and about 115 lbs.

Still, there's lots of Dilbert lookalikes shooting Trap, Skeet and SC.....
Old July 14, 2011, 08:13 PM   #16
71Eagle

ZZ Top

"Don't know much about them. I wouldn't know a ZZ Bird from ZZ Top."

PJR, ZZ Top is a little old band from Texas.