The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 20, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
GaryGGR

Spotting Scopes

I have started to shoot NRA High Power Service Rifle. I am practicing on a 300 Yd. range. I would like a spotting scope that I could see .22 caliber holes, on the target at 300 Yd.

I f such a scope exist what objective lens size, power and brand would you recommend?
Old May 21, 2008, 06:07 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

A scope with an objective [front] lens of at lest 60 mm and 20x-25x seems to be a good choice .Higher magnifications are not as useful as one might think. Kowa offers an 82mm [TSN821m] that is popular but pricey.
There are others that offer good value but remember that there will be days when conditions won't allow seeing bullet holes at 100 yards much less 300.
You can improve your chances of seeing shots by attaching a white cardboard at a 45* angle on the backside of your target frame. This will reflect light through the bullet holes.
Service rifle is the best.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old May 22, 2008, 04:07 AM   #3
HiBC

Some time ago I decided I wanted a good one.I called one of those NYC discount camera places and found a Kowa 78mm with a flourite lense that was a trade in.
I am extremely pleased!!I think Kowa is the value sweet spot.
With that objective(it is 20 to 60 x) about 40 to 45 power works best for me.
Tripod setups I have used vibrate a little.I use a sandbag for a dead steady support.
There is a skill to develop to see.It takes concentration.
If you have bad light conditions or mirrage,the air just isn't clear enough.
But ordinarily,I can sight in at 300 with the orange sight in targets without going downrange.That is worth a lot!!

In good conditions,I have seen 30 cal holes in the black of a standard bullseye target at 500 meters.I don't make much money,but every time I buy really good optics,I'm glad I did.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4
RSnatch

Cheap spotting scopes

I'm in the same boat you are in Gary. My dad has a 20-60x Tasco spotting scope, but it's not clear enough to see 30 caliber holes at 300 yards.

I know you always get what you pay for, but sometimes in optics, you can score a decent product for a low price. My brother is looking for a decent 4.5-14x scope for his new 22, and a guy at the local shooting range (a guy that is well respected and seems to be knowledgeable about shooting) keeps suggesting giving NcStar a try.

I have Nikon 22x binoculars, so buying a 20x spotting scope would be pointless for me. I need at least 45x to justify buying one.

Obviously, my brother and I are very skeptical about NcStar, but is the quality of these scopes a little better than the other cheap optics in that price range (Tasco, BSA, etc)? NcStar makes a 20-60x60mm spotting scope that sells for $55 with a tripod. BSA also a 20-60x60mm for $50.

Are either one of those spotting scopes worth buying? Would the clarity be good enough to see 30 caliber holes at 300 yards?

Thanks for any help. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's definitely in the subject.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:24 AM   #5
Tim R

I have a Kowa 821 with the 27X extended eye relief. I can't see 22 holes in the black at 300 unless the light is just right which isn't very often. I can see 30 cal holes most of the time. I always look through the scope at the mag change and hope I can see where the first 2 went.

At 200 yards seeing 22 cal. holes is no problem.

The importance of good glass isn't always to see the bullet holes in the target as much as it is to read the mirage at 600. There is a difference beween scopes and quailty. My beef is the cost of scope stands has gone stupid.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:05 PM   #6
4EVERM-14

My first scope was an Accuspot 22x w/ 60mm objective $200.
Used it for years. Seeing .30 cal holes was not a problem. But as Tim R posted seeing .22's at 300yds. was iffy. I'm now using a Kowa TSN and still have days that are just impossible. But the reflector I mentioned earlier does help.
If possible look through the scope before you buy. See if the image is clear all the way out to the edges. That's a clue the glass is decent.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old May 27, 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
MythBuster

The Konus is the best cheaper scope. A $250 Konus is close to being as good as some $800 scopes.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Casimer

+1 on the Konus. I have one of their 20-60x80mm spotting scopes that's held-up very well.

Like everyone else is saying - don't count on being able to see 223 holes at 300yds on a NRA target.
Old June 23, 2008, 09:12 AM   #9
centershot

The issue with being able to see .22 cal holes @ 300 yds. is not one of magnification, it is one of resolving power (the ability of the optical system to discriminate between the objects being viewed). Generally, you get what you pay for, and there is no truer statement applicable to optics! The 88mm Kowa with fluorite coating and a 27x eyepiece is about as good as it gets, IMHO. Use the variable if you want to, but the extra elemrnts in that lens system do not transmit as much light as a "straight" lens does, you will lose brightness and some resolving power. The Kowa with a 27x lens runs around $1000 depending where you get it, and it's worth it! You won't be sorry!

centershot
Old June 23, 2008, 05:18 PM   #10
bobn

i will never forget the rapid firing sitting group i shot years ago. minute of angle. only problem was it wasnt in the ten or even the nine ring. if i had a decent scope i would have had a better sight setting. sold my almost spotting scope and got a kowa 821 with 27x eye piece. end of problem. bobn
Old June 24, 2008, 10:14 AM   #11
TimRB

One technique I have been told about but have not yet tried myself is this:

Presuming most of your shots will at least be in the black, make a circular cutout on the cardboard target backing that is the same size as the target black. Cover this cutout with heavy-duty clear plastic. (Visqueen? Don't know how to spell it.) Finally, attach the target so the black aligns with the hole.

Now when a bullet passes through, the plastic is torn up and catches the sunlight in and behind the behind the hole, making it more visible.

Tim