The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2019, 09:12 AM   #1
ligonierbill

"Commemorative" '94s

Yes, yes, I know, but some of these are interesting if the price is right. I was gifted a Canadian Centennial rifle by my late BIL years ago. It's a nice rifle, and this one has a 24" barrel. I actually picked up a second one, cheap, that had been rebored to 38-55. No collector value on these, but I notice the John Wayne version seems to draw a premium. There are also some interesting configurations: The Teddy Roosevelt commemorative has the 24" barrel and a half length magazine. Thoughts?
Old August 30, 2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Dufus

My BIL bought a commemorative from a friend of his. He paid a handsome price. After he decided that what he did was not practical for his usage (he figured he couldn't shoot it without degrading the value), he wanted to sell it.

He had a hell of a time finding a buyer and best I can remember, he kinds took it in the shorts in the end. Sold it for less that he paid for it.

I have a commemorative M29 that I am going to try to trade in the next few months. My outcome might be the same.
Old August 30, 2019, 12:34 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

None of the Commemorative have any collector value unless it's still sealed in the original box. They're probably the worst "investment" firearm ever produced. Too many of each model and there's really nothing special about any of 'em. They're just an M94 with a bit of engraving. Plus you need to find somebody who wants one.
There were 90,301 Canadian Centennial's, for example, made. The John Wayne's come in 4 flavours with only 1,000 of each except for the "Standard". Even it was made in fewer numbers.
There have been several chambered in .38-55. So it probably wasn't rebored. Unless it's a Canadian Centennial. I think they were .30-30 only.
Old August 30, 2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Pahoo

Some do shine !!!

ligonierbill
Quote:
None of the Commemorative have any collector value unless it's still sealed in the original box.
Mostly true but some are more collectable than other. Like so many other Commemoratives, it's going to take many years to show a profit and yes, they are not that good of an investment. Those that really stand out, do bring good money. Never cared much for the John Waynes or for him, for that matter. The bullets sell well. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 30, 2019, 04:17 PM   #5
jmr40

In many cases they sell for less than standard production rifles. But if you find the right person who REALLY wants that rifle it could bring a very high price. The problem is finding that person.

Winston Churchill
Old August 30, 2019, 05:33 PM   #6
44caliberkid

We had a Teddy Roosevelt in the family and my dad shot it often. My brother got it after dad died and asked me about collector value. I knew it had surface rust on the blued parts because it just hung on gunrack hooks in dad's shop. I told him go ahead and shoot it, it wasn't worth more than any modern 94.
I collect ammo and have boxes of ammo made to go with the commemoratives, like John Wayne and Legendary Lawmen. Those have increased in value nicely over the years. If you want a collectible, get a pre-64 of any model. In excellent to very good condition they still bring big bucks at estate auctions.
Old August 30, 2019, 05:49 PM   #7
ligonierbill

I'm a collector only in the sense that I like guns that interest me, which covers a lot of ground. But I shoot everything I have. So I have no interest in the investment value of a gun. That said, some of these commemoratives are pleasing to me, some are a little gaudy. Regarding truly classic Winchesters, that's my brother's department. I show up with a reproduction, odds are he has an original. Only reason I'm loading 40-72 and 45-60. Any commemorative interesting to y'all?
Old August 31, 2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

The folks at Winchester built many deluxe model 94's for the investment market. This market appears to be very dismal. But as far as operation and shooting these make noteworthy hunting rifles. One of my buddies hunts with his Golden Spike commemorating for the connecting of east and west railroads. The walnut stocks are very high grade and the engraving appears to be the mark of perfection. A handsome rifle for sure. He has downed many deer with it.

Jack
Old August 31, 2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Blue Duck

I have a few in my collection, all shooters, except for one Legendary Lawman 16" carbine, which is unfired and I even have the box, bought for only $300, but I will probably end up shooting it because it's the only 30/30 trapper I have and it has the good lifter in it not the sheetmetal lifter that is known for giving trouble. Have another one, Antlered Game 20 inch, has the good lifter in it, and a fine shooter.

Have another one longer rifle, Octagon barrel, Buffalo Bill model, great shooter, but it has the sheetmetal lifter in it, however it has never gave me any trouble.

They're all good rifles, and I like them better then the angle eject models that came later, but my favorites are still the pre-64 guns. However, I do like the commemorative's I have and will keep them for the long run, I think. But I wouldn't buy or pay a high price for one unfired in the box. I did give about $600 for the Buffalo Bill but go find a better deal on a Winchester Model 94 with an octagon barrel, that shoots as great as it looks, and it takes me back to a simpler time when I was a kid when I wanted one of those but couldn't afford it.
Old August 31, 2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Paul B.

I had two, the Canadian Centennial and the NRA musket. Neither one would stay inside a wash tub at 50 yards. Sold both off at a gun show was glad to just break even. Too compare, I have a 94 carbine in 30-30 with a very dark bore and a two ton trigger pull made in 1911 that outshot those two commemoratives.
Paul B.
Old September 26, 2019, 07:43 PM   #11
musicmatty

One of my buddies hunts with his Golden Spike commemorating for the connecting of east and west railroads. The walnut stocks are very high grade and the engraving appears to be the mark of perfection. A handsome rifle for sure. He has downed many deer with it.

Jack

I picked up a 1869 - 1969 Golden Spike commemorative back in 2009. Very beautiful and accurate rifle and excellent for Deer hunting and home defense.

Last year I found one just like it at a gun shop and purchased it for my brother as birthday gift. Both these rifles are now 50 years old and look like they just came out of the box. Maybe I was just lucky to find two of these rifles that look like they were brand new or perhaps because they are commemorative, they are just well preserved by the owners. I believe these rifles to be exceptional buys at the price point between $500. and $700… At least that has been my experience.

Old October 4, 2019, 04:48 AM   #12
bamaranger

Winchester

Somewhere in my library, I have an article on commemorative M94's. Among other commentary, it lists the number , type and year (s) of M94 "commemoratives" across the span of production.

The closing paragraph contains a sentence worth repeating....you can't "out commemorate" Winchester.

I could probably still see the sights on a 24" M94, especially with a peep.
Old October 4, 2019, 07:24 PM   #13
cornbush

I’ve got a nice buffalo bill commemorative. I shoot the hell out of it, it had a couple small scratches on it and was fired 4 times against the previous owners wishes or knowledge at the time. He wanted an untouched one again so when he found one I got the “ruined” one for less than a beat up 80’s era 94. Shoots great, I love the balance of the heavier octagon barrel, and it loves my powder coated boolits
Old October 5, 2019, 11:14 AM   #14
Ifishsum

Another Buffalo Bill one here; I bought it as a shooter and that's all it will ever be but I like the heavier octagon barrel and it shoots accurately. Most of them are not worth a premium though. Cycling the action alongside even a beat up pre-64 one I got to say it definitely feels more cheaply made but it's given me no issues at all.
Old October 5, 2019, 11:28 AM   #15
montanaoffroader

I own a Centennial 66, it still looks like a new rifle. The only reason I own it is sentimental value, my mother bought for my father as an anniversary gift. She put the rifle on layaway at the local sporting goods store, and scrimped and saved to pay it off. I remember going with her when she would stop in to make a payment.

When she presented it to Dad, he almost fell over. He had admired the Centennial 66 but didn't think he would be able to afford one.

I would probably never buy one, but this is one I will never sell. To me, it doesn't matter how much or how little they are worth in dollars.
Old October 7, 2019, 07:39 AM   #16
reloder56

I have only one Winchester 94 Commemorative in my collection. It's one of the NRA Commemorative rifles, the NRA Sporter. It's a Model 64 with a little engraving and a stock medallion. purchased it twenty six years ago for deer hunting and to me, that's all it is, a deer rifle.
Old October 7, 2019, 08:39 PM   #17
Drm50

They are hard enough to sell NIB. If shot forget collector market. The only exception to this is the John Wayne models. The Duke stuff still sells.
Old October 7, 2019, 09:42 PM   #18
batmann

Collector Winchester 94s are like Ruger Collectibles, interesting, but really shooters.
I have a 3 digit Flattop 50th and a 50th 44 Magnum Flattop and they are shooters. Great pistols, may be some of the best Ruger ever made, but still no collector value.
Old November 11, 2019, 08:43 PM   #19
az_imuth

I always liked the Canadian centennials since they didn't have all of the bling or the coin embedded in the stock. I kept an eye out for one of the ones with the 26" octogon barrel and crescent butt stock. Finally ran across one that no longer had the box, but didn't appear to have been fired. Got it for cheap and couldn't be happier. Love the long sight radius and last time I had it out, it was shooting groups right at an inch at 100 yards with Federal 170g ammo. Great rifle and looks real nice sitting next to the carbine that my Grandfather left with me.
Old November 12, 2019, 06:21 AM   #20
Tony Z

Now that Canadian Centennial is the way a commemorative rifle ought to be made! Maybe a fancy box and if really needed, some scroll engraving on the barrel, noting who is being commemorated.
Old November 12, 2019, 06:39 PM   #21
az_imuth

Thanks, Tony Z
Getting that good of a group with iron sights was a real shock to me. Something about the sights just makes them easier to see than some of the iron sighted rifles I have. A lot of fun, and store bought ammo is still pretty inexpensive for .30-30.
Old November 12, 2019, 07:34 PM   #22
Nanuk

Not a 94, but I have an Uberti 73 John Wayne commemorative.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 13, 2019, 01:29 PM   #23
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I could probably still see the sights on a 24" M94, especially with a peep.
Actually, if you use a target aperture on a tang sight, the small aperture close to your eye helps keep the front sight and target clear and sharp. It's due to the optical principle called 'Depth of Field' and it works astoundingly well.

Try this on your shooting glasses. It's a piece of electrical tape, cut with a hole punch, with a tiny hole in the middle. Stick it where you sight through to aim and you'll be astounded how clear everything is and the fact that the black tape seems to disappear too.

Old November 20, 2019, 03:50 PM   #24
doceaux

Make great silhouette rifles with their long sight radius, other then that SHOOT EM!
Old November 22, 2019, 12:50 PM   #25
Pahoo

NRA shoots great !!!

It's just an opinion and we all know what they are worth. I have handled and shot a handful of Commemoratives and out of the box that NRA, has exceeded my expectations. …..

Yes, I shoot Commemoratives as I feel that every dog deserves, one good bight. I have restored a number of Wall-hangers and shoot them as well. ..

Be Safe !!