The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1
mthom1957

50 cal. kit gun info needed

I am working on a friends 50 cal. percussion rifle and would like some info on this gun. The only markings on the barrel are Ardessa Spain, Use Black Powder Only, and a serial no. The gun is dressed with brass fore end cap, trigger gaurd, and butt plate. I suspect it is a Traditions but don't really know. I would specifically like to know the rate of twist but also anything else you folks can help me with.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2
rem870hunter

rate of twist should be on the barrel near the lock end . a good clear pic of that area of both sides of the rifle would be helpful too.
Old November 4, 2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Hawg

If it has a drum breech instead of a patent breech it's probably a CVA. Take a tight fitting patch on the ramrod jag and push it to the bottom of the bore. With a felt marker mark the ramrod at the muzzle. Pull it out till it makes a half turn. Measure the distance between the muzzle and the mark and multiply by two. If the barrel isn't long enough to get a half turn it's a round ball barrel, probably a 1:66. You can get a quarter turn and multiply by four.
Old November 4, 2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Pahoo

Sounds like an early CVA to me and the Hawg has listed how to check the twist and not too complicated. Besides the drum and nipple, does it have a cheeck rest with one squared corner and about three lateral lines? Should also be white metal at this stage. There are quite a few of these older kit-guns still around.

Be Safe !!!