The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2023, 03:56 PM   #1
fauxpa46

Aftermarket trigger

Just acquired my first Glock, a Gen 2 G19. It was sold by Aim Surplus with their own slide, as well as night sights. Rest of gun is all Glock, which inspires me to look at replacing the stock trigger. Not being familiar with "all things Glock" I am curious to know what might be the "go to" aftermarket trigger favored by most shooters. I am familiar with most of them, and have viewed countless videos on each, however it is a crap shoot. I'd rather have reviews from actual people "out in the field" so to speak who have had actual experience with the triggers as they are supposed to function.
Old January 12, 2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Cyanide971

Just curious, how much have you shot it in stock condition with the factory trigger? Just me, never felt the need to change the trigger on any of my now twelve Glocks, or any other multiple striker-fire handguns I’ve owned. Now granted, the flat faced profiles of the Glock copy Shadow Systems MR920 and Polymer 80 PFC9, as well as a flat face Apex trigger on my FNS9 were nice, but they did nothing to improve my groupings or capabilities over their respective stock setups.
Old January 12, 2023, 10:31 AM   #3
lee n. field

Shoot it as is, for a good long while, before making changes.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 12, 2023, 04:20 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Never felt the need to change a glock trigger. Shoot it a while, decide if you actually need/want it.
Old January 13, 2023, 06:56 AM   #5
Nathan

Glocks have 2 kinds of triggers IME. Heavy staple gun quality triggers and lighter staple gun quality triggers.

The best way to improve a Glock trigger is to focus on take up weight, pull weight and basic feeling things like flat vs curve, serrated vs smooth, metal vs plastic, etc. I’d work with a gunsmith who can show you they can manipulate these factors over a kit.
Old January 13, 2023, 08:30 AM   #6
fauxpa46

I'm not so concerned with the weight of the pull (afterall, heavier is safer, right?), but rather the feel of the safety built into the trigger. Frankly, it hurts my finger after shooting for any length of time because it doesn't fit flat against the trigger shoe when fully engaged. I realize dry firing and actual shooting will better the pull weight. I just not happy with the comfort of it.

Does anyone feel that polishing the trigger mechanism makes a measurable difference?
Old January 13, 2023, 09:18 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpa46 View Post
I'm not so concerned with the weight of the pull (afterall, heavier is safer, right?), but rather the feel of the safety built into the trigger. Frankly, it hurts my finger after shooting for any length of time because it doesn't fit flat against the trigger shoe when fully engaged. I realize dry firing and actual shooting will better the pull weight. I just not happy with the comfort of it.
There are replacement trigger “shoes” that you can get that will see that trigger tab, which functions as a drop safety, go flush with the face of the trigger.
Old January 13, 2023, 07:28 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpa46 View Post

Does anyone feel that polishing the trigger mechanism makes a measurable difference?
Shoot it a while, you wont notice the trigger safety any more, I dont.
Old January 13, 2023, 10:41 PM   #9
L-2

I personally prefer an aftermarket trigger shoe. I've only used one brand as I was happy with this first brand I tried.

Being frugal, I've bought just the trigger shoes and use the originally-supplied trigger bar or another Glock trigger bar from my spare parts. Kineti-Tech will sell its trigger shoes already installed onto a Glock trigger bar, however.

There are several trigger shoe styles from which to choose.

I no longer own any Gen2 Glocks and "Gen2" isn't listed on Kineti-Tech's website ordering. Do call them prior to ordering just to ensure there won't be any problems, which I can't foresee.

https://www.kineti-tech.com/glock-trigger/

Also note that some G19gen2 guns need a special trigger bar part, depending on serial number, and these older, special trigger bars may be hard to find. Replacing the existing trigger shoe generally destroys the original trigger shoe.

Last edited by L-2; January 13, 2023 at 10:48 PM.
Old January 15, 2023, 01:47 AM   #10
tangolima

I just filed mine flush with the trigger shoe. Go slow if you choose to do it. Over doing it can make the trigger inop. You need enough margin to disengage the safety everytime the trigger is pulled.

I also make a poor man's over travel limit on my G23. The stock trigger has too much over travel, again probably as margin for reliable operations. The limit reduces that to improve accuracy.

To make a glock's trigger more agreeable, you may want to learn resetting the trigger after each shot, instead of letting it go all the way and repeat the take up. It makes quite a bit of difference to me. First shot is pulling through the take up, like a double action revolver. All subsequent shots are without take up, almost like a SA auto pistol. That's how I practice.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2023, 07:07 AM   #11
fauxpa46

Thank you ever so much for your replies, guys. Always appreciate the help.