The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2009, 03:04 PM   #126
bignz

In retrospect I'm not so sure it was a good idea to send mine (ours) in as fast as I (we) did. In a mass recall maybe it's better to let the process get underway first. Well at least we've all been able to stock up on 380 ammo - yeah right.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:26 PM   #127
TLeo

Thanks for that update. Didn't the recall come out in late February? If so, how is it they have ones from January to work on and what is this new problem. They had problems gettting approval from their safety dept and now don't have parts???? This is totally ridiculous. I wonder if we can get them sent back to us 'cause I don't feel like waiting 5 or 6 months or longer for this kind of BS. When and if I get it back it is going to be out of here even if I lose money selling it. S&W has totally lost my business for good!

p.s. I just emailed and may call them later telling them I consider their service and planning very poor and want my pistol returned. I'l let you know what I find out.

Last edited by TLeo; May 27, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added to post
Old May 27, 2009, 06:59 PM   #128
royaluno

Pre recall

I sent my new ppk/s to S&W Jan. 7 for a previous issue before the recall. I expect them to do it in the order they receive them no matter when.
I will let everyone know when I get it back and how it goes.
P.S. I have been emailing them also.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:04 AM   #129
David the Gnome

Anyone else missing their PPK? The PPK is one of my all-time favorite guns and it's been bizarre not having it in my CCW lineup.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:16 PM   #130
Bond007

I was seriously considering buying another just to get me through the few more months of waiting it might be. I've already a few extra sets of grips...
Old May 29, 2009, 09:51 PM   #131
bulbboy

I got my LCP back in 6 days - so far it has been two months on my PPK/s. They need to get some lessons from Ruger
Old May 31, 2009, 01:24 AM   #132
bignz

I FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER BLOG AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE OF INTEREST. IT WAS POSTED MAY 30TH.

This is a long one about the PPK recall, but it is helful info directly from S&W.
Mine are the questions and they followup with the answer. The answers were in red on my email. Sorry, couldn’t find a way to make it red here.

My question is then, when did the actual recall go out and where did it go out to?
February 20, 2009 to alert of the potential issue through newspapers, news and online.

After the recall went out, why did it take so long to get the labels?
If you did it online there was a delay with the labels to make sure Houlton, ME was set to recieve pistols before they started coming in, as well completing a mass shipment of over 6,000 emails/labels.

It can’t take 3 weeks to process labels in order unless you are not geared up for the recall.
goes along with above respsonse.

Is the recall a priority or is it being handled after other work is completed and out of the way?
Priority being completed in the order they were received. there was a delay getting the actual parts in due to the extensive testing needed to be completed to approve the part for the customers safety.

Once it is logged in, how many guns are getting repaired a day?
Began the repairs over a week. As of last week I was told between 100 - 150 a day. working 1 1/2 shifts. and this also includes the test firing of each after the repair.

As the weeks go, they are increasing the amount per week and to 2 full shifts. Then onto 3 shifts.

Is one guy doing 5 guns a day?
I was not informed how many imployees for each shift.

Or is it 20 guys doing 20 a day?

Even though I had just purchased a new PPK, I found out through a police officer that the recall was out and I requested a label that day to beat the rush. That was somewhere between Mar 1-5. When I checked on the label a week or so later, they told me it might be 3 weeks. I got my label on Mar 26 and sent it back by 2 day air and you should have had it Mar 28 or no later than Mar 29, but it didn’t get logged in until Apr 1.
I know you just purchased it, did you ever register it with S&W? We sent notification to anyone that were previously in our system for it.

So after 7 weeks, how far can I still be out?
It’s all based on what was in front of yours. I do know there was about 900 pistols that were already in house prior to the recall, and they needed to get those done first.

I can’t imagine that many guns beat mine in unless you posted the recall in an inconspicuous place for the average gun owner.
Inconspicuous place - no. Directly on our webpage, newspapers and the actual news.

Can you tell me then what place did my gun come in of the 13,000 that you have so far?
I can only confirm the date or receipt, I am not able to confirm exactly what number. 4/1 as I stated before on my original email from 5/21

Last question, can you project how much longer before you get to mine?
Possibly about 4 - 5 weeks. That is just based on the date logged in, and beginning the repairs less than 2 weeks ago.

I would like to keep in contact, but what does your comment “we can see if that time has improved” mean? What time are you speaking? The repair time, to see if we can turn it around in less than the 4 -5 weeks

If it is much longer, I may have to go buy another gun. This was my carry gun and I will be traveling again in the next week or so.

Please answer these questions and I can pass this on to friends that have also sent theirs in and were somewhat later than mine.

I hope this is a priority, because I really feel for the ones that didn’t find out as early as I did.

Thanks,

David

Good afternoon David,

The delays are caused by the size of this recall. We are attempting to recall over 90,000 pistols and we already received 13,000 back. The pistols are being repaired in the order they were received. We logged yours in on 4/1 and we’ve been receiving them in since February and that is why it is such a delay on the return.

If you would like keep in contact with me and we can see if that time has improved. Also, if you would like I can have a free magazine sent out due to the inconvenience this has cause.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:38 AM   #133
bignz

******ppk returned******

WELL HERE WE GO. THIS IS THE FIRST EVIDENCE I'VE SEEN OF AN ACTUAL RETURN!!!!!!! IT'S NOT MINE BUT AT THIS POINT I'M JUST HAPPY TO SEE THEY ARE ACTUALLY LEAVING MAINE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5FJ4nS4i9w
Old May 31, 2009, 06:38 AM   #134
TLeo

That is good to hear. If you check his other video he says his went in to SW the middle of March, so just maybe those of us that got them in end of March will not have much longer to wait. Let's hope so anyway
Old June 1, 2009, 05:13 PM   #135
bignz

Found this on another site... Looks like we (those who returned them at the end of March) should be expecting a knock soon.

I just received my ppk/s back today.

I returned it at the end of March.
At the end of April, I called and they said it was still a 3 month turnaround.
It ended up taking almost exactly 2 months.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling it... It's clean from the factory and it has less than 200 rounds thru it. It has the Crimson Trace grips.
Old June 1, 2009, 06:10 PM   #136
royaluno

Returning Handguns (ppk/s)

Are the returned guns to law enforcement personel??
I emailed S&W and was told they were first. Mine has been gone for 6 Months! I was told any day now.
Thanks
Old June 1, 2009, 07:24 PM   #137
bignz

The guy in the youtube video is a cab driver.
Old June 2, 2009, 07:27 PM   #138
MartyG

Quote:
Are the returned guns to law enforcement personel??
I emailed S&W and was told they were first.
It's pretty evident that everyone who calls gets a different story. The answer is there was no procedure set up at first. The last several calls I've made have always been "in the order they were received." Don't know how they would even know a customer was a LEO, if it was registered by name.

We're getting close. I watch for the UPS guy every day!
Old June 3, 2009, 07:41 PM   #139
3StrikesNC

I want my darn PPK back!!

Got it for Christmas and now S&W has it longer than I!
Old June 4, 2009, 09:21 AM   #140
bignz

Email from S&W: 2-4 weeks from today.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:35 AM   #141
hhb

PPK

Bignz,

When did your PPK arrive at the factory? Mine was signed for on March 31st. This is getting depressing. On the other hand, I'd hate to be responsible for 13,000 PPK's in the warehouse that belonged to other people.
I'd be happy if it got back in the stable in 4 weeks.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:53 AM   #142
bignz

I can't find the received email for S&W but i got my return label on 3/26 and i sent it back on 3/30. So figure 4/2 for receipt.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:47 AM   #143
MartyG

UPS receipt on 3/30, made it into the processing line on 4/3, got the same 2-4 wks email. Judging by the posts on this board, I don't think it will take that long. I am convinced they (the people doing the email replies, and answering the phone) don't really have timely information. I think it should show up any day now.
BTW, I gave them a link to this very thread, to let them know what we're saying about them. No comment from them. (no idea if they even looked at the link)
Hopefully, we'll all be able to put this thread in the historical file in a month or so!
Old June 5, 2009, 06:15 AM   #144
hhb

Time Line

I got my prepaid label on 03/26, shipped it the same day, arrived at the factory and was signed for on 03/30. No e-mail from S&W about progress or anything.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:24 PM   #145
bignz

Another post I found elsewhere.
Looks like people who sent them in in April are starting to get them back...

posted on June 4

Sent mine in the first week of April. UPS guy just dropped it off here about 5 minutes ago (June 4).

So...about a 2 month turn around for me. Glad it's back home!
Old June 5, 2009, 06:21 PM   #146
hhb

PPK/s

I'm into the 10th week, maybe soon. i bought a new Sig P238 today to keep me company until it arrives.
Old June 5, 2009, 06:44 PM   #147
3StrikesNC

Sent mine in April 2nd, along with a letter about feed jams. I hope they are fixing it ....
Old June 6, 2009, 12:02 AM   #148
MartyG

Quote:
Sent mine in the first week of April. UPS guy just dropped it off here about 5 minutes ago (June 4).
Glad to hear your good news. But so much for first-in, first-out, and "the order in which they were received." Mine was receipted for in March, made the processing line the day you mailed yours, and has still not come back. All I hear is stories, platitudes and party lines, with the always-present "two to four more weeks."

Last edited by MartyG; June 6, 2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: quote
Old June 6, 2009, 05:47 AM   #149
TLeo

I remember that ours were received same day Marty. I don't think S&W has a clue as to what they are doing judging by all the differing info they have been giving out. I sent them a email last week complaigning about the service and conflicting information and got a response yestrerday asking me for my serial number so they could check on the progress. I'll see what reply I get.
Old June 8, 2009, 05:06 AM   #150
hhb

PPK/s

Maybe this will be the week they start showing up!