The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2023, 09:12 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

A P95 weighs 6 oz less than a Beretta 92FS, and 6 oz more than a G19.
A P89 weighs the same as a Beretta 92FS (or 2.75" S&W M66), or 12 oz more than a G19.

They look big and heavy, but they are on par for dimensions and weight, with other full size semi-autos.
Old January 21, 2023, 07:48 PM   #27
Heavy Metal 1

My KP89DC is my winter carry gun. It's stainless and even though it is sizable it carries discreetly under a winter coat. It has never given me trouble other than when I fell in the river and got all sorts of grit in it. Did a detail strip and clean and has continued to run like brandnew ever since. The AK 47 of pistols.
Old January 22, 2023, 03:25 PM   #28
soonerboomer

The P89DC was my very first centerfire handgun! I loved that thing! Never had even one problem. Regrettably, it was sold for some newer latest greatest thing. But the truth is, it still can hold its own, even in 2023.
Old January 26, 2023, 04:47 AM   #29
CajunBass

Another one I noticed in the case at the LGS yesterday. Nice shape, two magazines, of which at least one still had the orange sticker on the side. I didn't ask to examine it, but was tempted. Tagged less than $300.

I'm kinda full up with 9mm's these days, so I left it for someone else.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 26, 2023, 11:02 PM   #30
101combatvet

I remember selling one of those when I was a dealer; I about threw up when it came in. Thanks for the memories.
Old January 27, 2023, 12:28 PM   #31
Drm50

The Ruger P series are probably most underrated pistols of their era. They ain’t pretty and they ain’t target guns. They are like a Timex watch, take a licken’ and keep on ticken’. I sold several dozen of them when I was in business. Never had one come back with complaints. There were a few on triggers, but like I said they weren’t target guns. I would say a quality pistol for the money.
Old January 28, 2023, 12:49 AM   #32
Miami_JBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
The Ruger P series are probably most underrated pistols of their era. They ain’t pretty and they ain’t target guns. They are like a Timex watch, take a licken’ and keep on ticken’. I sold several dozen of them when I was in business. Never had one come back with complaints. There were a few on triggers, but like I said they weren’t target guns. I would say a quality pistol for the money.
The Ruger P Series for the most part were well designed economical pistols of the era. The P85 failed the XM9 trials for a number of reasons. But as general consumer grade firearms, they worked well. They were reliable, affordable, and for the most part, ergonomical..

I have a KP90DC and a KP345R. Both have never given me issue. Their .40 S&W chambered guns were the most problematic out of the entire bunch. The P85MKII and P89 were the classics and the KP95 was for a number of years the best working class pistol on the market.

When I worked the gun show circuit and newbies wanting a 9mm that they could throw in a sock drawer and have handy for home defense. I always recommend either a KP95 (and later the KP95R) or a S&W SW9VE.

Both guns worked and worked well for those intended tasks.

The P Series was never a target gun or something to go the distance like a maintained Beretta 92FS or SIG P226. But for the average person, the P Series was there, like a four cylinder Ford Taurus.