The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2023, 12:06 PM   #1
cdoc42

I need a lesson

I started this new thread, an extension of the one where Unclenick suggested the purchase of "Go" and "No-go" primer pocket gauges.

My order just arrived but has no directions other than to go to their website but the tutorial doesn't work. I tried measuring some .270 pockets but I'm left confused.

There are 4 gauges: 0.1724, 0.175, 0.175, and 0.208. (I measured with a digital micrometer)

The first 3 fit into the primer pockets but the gauges are obviously too small; the pockets are much larger than the gauges. The last one fits into some of the cases but not others. I am under the impression this is a "No-Go" gauge, telling me if fits, the pocket is too large.

What am I missing?

Where do the first 3 come into play?
Old January 6, 2023, 12:53 PM   #2
lugerstew

I am not sure which go, no go gauges you bought, but the ones I got work very well, very simple, one for small primer pockets and another for large primer pockets, one end of the gauge goes in the pocket, the other end does not if everything is in spec. If the no go gauge goes in the pocket, it's time to chuck that brass in the trash.
Here is the set I have.

https://ballistictools.com/store/sma...-pocket-gauges
Old January 6, 2023, 12:59 PM   #3
ligonierbill

Your 3 small gauges are meant for small rifle primers. I don't know every brand's dimensions, but SR vary from 0.1750 (CCI 450, Win SR) to 0.1757 (Fed 200). Large rifle vary from 0.2100 (Rem 9 1/2) to 0.2120 (Fed 210). Of course, you want an "interference fit" to hold the primer.
Old January 6, 2023, 03:08 PM   #4
cdoc42

I bought "Burstfire" Go- and No-go gauges. One set is small Go/Nogo and the other is large. I just finished a "chat" with Burstfire and they will send me a large NoGo because it is nowhere near the desired specs at a measurement of .1760"

They have one side threaded to fit a handle, so there are 4 to a set rather than 2 that just turn over. This learning something new every day is almost as aggravating as having trouble urinating......
Old January 7, 2023, 01:09 PM   #5
Metal god

Yeah they are not to “measure” they are GO/NOGO’s . Mine are two sided for a total of 4 . One side should fit - gtg the other side should not - NOT gtg . I have one for each small or large primers .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 8, 2023, 10:06 AM   #6
cdoc42

Correct, Metal god. My reference to "measurement" was the size of the pocket-insertion tool as described by the manufacturer. They supply 4 because one end is threaded to be used with a handle if desired, so 2 are for small and 2 are for large primers. One of them used for NoGo large primers had to be replaced as it was much too small and the rep I talked to is sending one my way.
Old January 8, 2023, 12:17 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

If you look at the SAAMI standards, small primer pocket diameters are 0.1730" to 0.1745", and large primer pocket diameters are 0.2085" to 0.2100". The Ballistics GO and NO-GO gauges are just half a thousandth under and over each of those limits. So, 0.1725" GO and 0.1750" NO-GO for small primer pockets and 0.2080" GO and 0.2105" NO-GO for large primer pockets.

It sounds like your large gauge got into the wrong bin and had a large primer pocket GO and a small primer pocket NO-GO ground onto it. I'm glad they are correcting their mistake.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 10, 2023, 07:14 AM   #8
cdoc42

Update: I received the correct size No-Go yesterday. I'm amazed that it traveled from California in 2 days compared to other merchandise that I tracked from Illinois sat less than 50 miles away for 4 days before it got to me!