The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2002, 06:37 PM   #1
natedog

does CCW let you carry more than one weapon?

does CCW let you carry more than one weapon? like, can i have a primary weapon and then a backup weapon in an ankle holster? also, are pistolized (sawed off) shotguns out for CCW? what about machine pistols that have handgun dimensions ( Beretta 93, Glock 18, ect.)
Old December 17, 2002, 06:51 PM   #2
dairycreek

The laws governing concealed carry change by state.

However, I know of no state that will allow an illegal weapon to be carried concealed or, for that matter, at all. So, no sawed off shotgun or Glock 18 or any other weapon outside the law for your state. To be clear on the matter check with the issuing authority in your state.
Old December 17, 2002, 06:59 PM   #3
johnwill

Each state has it's own laws and requirements for CCW, but some states do allow multiple guns, others only specifically listed guns. I doubt carrying a full auto would be looked on kindly by any state!
Old December 17, 2002, 07:14 PM   #4
satxman

Texas liscenses the carrier, not the weapon..

natedog,

In Texas, if you are liscensed to carry concealed, you can carry as many legal weapons as you can handle as long as they are, in fact, concealed. Definitely no sawed off shotguns or machine pistols!
Old December 17, 2002, 07:15 PM   #5
blades67

Most states specify what types of weapons may be carried. I believe all the states that allow concealed carry prohibit Class III items.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:33 PM   #6
CleverNickname

Quote:
In Texas, if you are liscensed to carry concealed, you can carry as many legal weapons as you can handle as long as they are, in fact, concealed. Definitely no sawed off shotguns or machine pistols!
Actually, you don't have to be licensed to carry a longgun open or concealed in Texas. Also, while "sawed off shotguns and machine pistols" are a bit more restricted due to the NFA, as long as they're legally posessed, there's no extra restrictions on carrying them.

Useless trivia:

As a Texas resident with a CHL, I can legally carry a concealed pistol in a grocery store. I can also legally carry a longgun/machinegun to a professional sporting event. However, if I reverse these and carry a machinegun in a grocery store or a pistol to a professional sporting event, I'm breaking the law. Explain that one to me.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:46 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

As noted above...
Individual state laws apply.

In some states, a concealed carry permit allows you to carry any weapon that you can lawfully possess in that state.

Other states issue a license to carry a specificaly identified weapon and no others.

And lots of in between states.

Sam
Old December 17, 2002, 07:54 PM   #8
don't shoot it's me

As a Texas resident with a CHL, I can legally carry a concealed pistol in a grocery store. I can also legally carry a longgun/machinegun to a professional sporting event. However, if I reverse these and carry a machinegun in a grocery store or a pistol to a professional sporting event, I'm breaking the law. Explain that one to me.

You really need to be explained why you can't walk into a grocery store with a machine gun?
Old December 17, 2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

In Alabama

you can carry more than one handgun; provided that
you have a current CCW license. All applicable law's
apply; NO sawed off shotgun's, NO short barrel rifle's, and NO machine pistol's are allowed with this type of license.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old December 17, 2002, 09:08 PM   #10
Hkmp5sd

In Florida, you may carry as many legal weapons (not exclusively firearms either) as you desire with the exeption of machineguns. Seems the other NFA weapons are OK.

NRA Life Member
Old December 17, 2002, 10:18 PM   #11
Crimper-D

No limit on the number on the permit in California

The most on one CCW that I know of is 8 ! Long as they are : 1- concealed. 2- not on the AJ's list of "Assault Weapons" =
Sawedoff shotguns, rifles are out as well as Full Automatic weapons or anything equipped with a supressor, even if they have the Federal Transfer Tax paid Oh Yea, no magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds.
Old December 17, 2002, 10:47 PM   #12
Dave R

I am close to certain that Idaho's CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit) allows carrying any legal weapon. In Idaho, that includes Class III weapons. So, if you can conceal that submachine gun, you can carry it.

Please double-check before you try it though!
Old December 18, 2002, 01:36 AM   #13
TearsOfRage

anything goes in NH - but would you want to carry a multi-thousand dollar firearm? If its used in even a clearly good shoot, it might be held as evidence.
Old December 18, 2002, 08:06 AM   #14
Ben Shepherd

In Utah, you can carry anything that is legal to posses.

Also as many as you can conceal, if you feel the need.

Just like Texas, my permit covers me, not a specific weapon.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 18, 2002, 09:21 AM   #15
Modifiedbrowning

In Montana I have no restrictions on the number of weapons I can carry. I believe class III is ok. The CCW also allows me to carry a knife with a blade over 4" legally concealed.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:20 AM   #16
Edward429451

Quote:
does CCW let you carry more than one weapon?
Hmmmm, lemmee check the regs...

Well regulated militia....mumble mumble...security of a free state....mumble mumble...keep and BEAR arms...

Nope no restrictions found on number or action type!

Oh wait, there's a footnote...Land of the free, Home of the brave.

Hmmmm....
Old December 18, 2002, 11:40 AM   #17
LiveWire

As other's have said, there is no limit in Texas to the number of legal handguns you are allowed to carry concealed. In Texas.
Old December 18, 2002, 12:59 PM   #18
Marko Kloos

Tennessee does not list specific handguns on the HCP, nor does it limit the number of handguns carried, but they have to be handguns. I know Kentucky's CCW lets you carry AOWs such as shorty shotguns.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:01 PM   #19
KSFreeman

nate, maybe you could tell in which state you are domiciled or where you intend to carry? Each state is different.

In the Land of Truth and Justice, carry any handgun you legally own and as many as you wish. No license is needed for a rifle, shotgun, submachine gun. However, as wise man in Tejas sez, you're going to get a lot of strange looks grocery shopping with an M14.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:03 PM   #20
natedog

i just asked this question because i was curious.
im 13, and i dont think i can legally carry concealed for a while.....

but if were to carry, it would be in California
Old December 18, 2002, 10:16 PM   #21
Blackhawk

Lots of people would like to carry legally in California....
Old December 18, 2002, 11:50 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd guess that it would depend on your state of residence.

In Virginia, there's no limitations on how many or what kinds of handguns you can carry.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 18, 2002, 11:55 PM   #23
natedog

actually, believe it or not, CCW is leagal in California. In my county, Kern, CCW is very common. we have the highest concealed weapons per1,000 people out of all California counties.
Old December 19, 2002, 04:47 AM   #24
Jeff OTMG

I know, I know! The reason that you can't carry a rifle, shotgun, machine gun, or AOW into a grocery or convienence store in Texas is because the unlicensed possession of a firearm in a store that sells alcohol is prohibited. The reason you can't carry a handgun with a license into a sporting event is because a sporting event is a specific prohibited area by statute.

Texas CHL permit is for a handgun only and does not specifiy which handgun. Carry of other firearms whether loaded or empty, open or concealed, is not regulated in Texas, only handguns.
Old December 19, 2002, 01:00 PM   #25
Blackhawk

Under my CHL, I can legally carry every handgun I can conceal, and all at one time.