The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2020, 07:18 PM   #1
mrt949

High capacity revolvers

Everything is about high capacity .
We Have 5,6,7and 8 round capacity revolvers .
What does fit your style.
Old November 9, 2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Forte S+W

Personally, I feel that where Revolvers shine lies in the power of the magnum cartridges they come chambered in. You don't carry a Revolver for high capacity, you carry it because it comes chambered in cartridges that can drop a bear.

That being said, the S&W TRR8 is an awesome, high capacity Revolver chambered in .357 Magnum, and if S&W were to offer an X-Frame Revolver chambered in .44 Magnum that could hold 8 rounds in the cylinder, I think that might have some massive appeal as a trail gun.
Old November 9, 2020, 07:34 PM   #3
PolarFBear

I've got a 5 shot Taurus 44 Special. For MY needs --- it's sufficient.
Old November 9, 2020, 07:54 PM   #4
stinkeypete

Marketing these days is all about high capacity... except I grew up shooting a H&R .22 Special which is a 9 shot double action revolver. Made around 1946 or so.

Then you have your basic Ruger Single 10... 10.

I was in a quandary over the single seven... until I traded a fella for a perfect Single 6 in .32 h&r magnum.

I’m old. The Lone Ranger and all my cowboy heroes dealt with high capacity by carrying two sixguns. If they kept an empty cylinder under the hammer, that’s 10. If they didn’t, that’s 12... but either way it’s Hollywood and in any case they never ran out of live ammo in the cylinders- call it infinity.

A Ruger with a transfer bar- six shooter. No transfer bar-5.
A j frame sized gun, 5 is fine.
If it comes with more and it shoots well, well okay. Six is fine, 5 is proper too. Six and a half is right out. Seven is okay, eleven is just silly.
Old November 9, 2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm another member of the generation who grew up watching The Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, and Roy Rogers in the telly. Although in the real old west there were other sidearms, you wouldn't know it from watching the boob tube in the heyday of the television westerns. For us kids, everyone carried a Colt six-shooter. As a consequence, my dinosaur brain has been programmed to believe that the only right and proper number of chambers in a revolver is six.

And then along came Handsome Stranger with his seven shot six shooter. (Let's see who gets the reference.)
Jeepaholic
Old November 9, 2020, 09:03 PM   #6
51cskipper

Or, you can take it to the extreme...
18 shots, 3 at a time

The Pistola Con Caricato. Chambered in 25 acp
https://www.guns.com/news/2012/05/10...-shot-revolver
Old November 9, 2020, 09:07 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Man, now we're finally on a fun subject. Not much that's better than 8 rounds of 357 Mag. Got the 627 snub, 608 6.5", & 608 lopped off to 3". Used to carry 'em year round but then I got Glock fever. I still carry the 608 every now and then. The 627 has Crimson Trace grips so it's a little bigger. I truly wish that some company would come out with a 10-shot revolver chambered in 327 Fed Mag.
Old November 9, 2020, 09:17 PM   #8
Hawg

I'm another old school aficionado. Revolvers should hold six rounds, especially single actions.
Old November 9, 2020, 09:21 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
Everything is about high capacity .
We Have 5,6,7and 8 round capacity revolvers .
What does fit your style.
What "fits my style" right now is 5 shot .38 j-frame, for 100%, all the time carry. It's a sweet spot.

Any higher capacity is going to mean either larger cylinder, meaning I would need (possibly) different holster(s) (pocket and iwb), or smaller bullets, meaning .32, meaning poorer ammo choice.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 9, 2020, 09:52 PM   #10
reddog81

I prefer 6 or 8. Or 5 if it's a .460 S&W. A 10 shot S&W 617 would be a nice complement to my K-22
Old November 9, 2020, 10:08 PM   #11
Carmady

LeMat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver
Old November 9, 2020, 10:45 PM   #12
reteach

Aguila Blanca:

The Handsome Stranger had his seven-shot six-shooter specially made, but he didn't know why.
Old November 9, 2020, 10:59 PM   #13
TXAZ

Someone has to say it: “High Capacity Revolver”, now that’s a real oxymoron, as many of us don’t like less than 13 in the mag.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 9, 2020, 11:27 PM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Another old guy who thinks revolvers should be six shooters.

I bought this S&W Model 617-6 used a few years ago. Only bought it because I was shooting a plate match at the time that required 8 shots be fired in 15 seconds. Could not do that with one of my standard K-22s.

Just too darn many holes. Dumping that much ammo into a 22 just makes me burn through ammo a lot faster than I want to. A six shooter keeps my ammo burn rate more reasonable.

Bought this seven shot Model 686-6 brand-spanky new a few years ago. Only bought it because I did not have any L frames. Besides being disappointed in the quality, I just don't like these ugly full length underlugs that S&W is putting on every thing these days. To my mind, the only real advantage of a revolver with an odd number of chambers is the bolt cut is repositioned between the chambers, rather than directly over the chambers, making for a stronger cylinder.

Nope, I like my revolvers to be six shooters, like these:

Or this:

Or these:

Old November 10, 2020, 01:58 AM   #15
rclark

Quote:
I'm another old school aficionado. Revolvers should hold six rounds, especially single actions.
My feeling too . If you need more than 5 (hammer over empty), then carry another six shooter for 10. Or carry a Ruger with all 6 loaded.... Need more than that, buy one of those new fangled, semi-auto jobs.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 10, 2020, 04:40 AM   #16
DaleA

51cskipper---at last, something I can use to put those Taurus "Judge" folk in their place! Neat find. Had never heard of that before and the thing looks pretty clean too!

Driftwood---as usual I am in awe at your collection and the nice photos and information you share with us.
Old November 10, 2020, 06:40 AM   #17
CajunBass

I've never seen any reason to have a revolver with more than six rounds, and even then at the range, I only load five. A box of 50 cartridges, ten rows of five. Keeps things straight.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 10, 2020, 09:58 AM   #18
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Any higher capacity is going to mean either larger cylinder, meaning I would need (possibly) different holster(s) (pocket and iwb), or smaller bullets, meaning .32, meaning poorer ammo choice.
I don't know how they did it, but Kimber's k6 holds six round in almost the same size cylinder as a smith J frame or Ruger LCR. It takes the same holsters and you still have 6 of the .357 mag.

(I had to add almost because it is larger, but the same in all practicality, i.e. pocket carry, holster size, concealment, etc.)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; November 10, 2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:03 AM   #19
Eddiejoe

I saw the 8-shot Ruger Redhawk in .357 and I wanted it!
I didn't want the $900 price tag.
As many have recommended, I did buy 3 Ruger Blackhawks, but they load a mite slow.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:10 AM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I don't know how they did it, but Kimber's k6 holds six round in the same size cylinder as a smith J frame or Ruger LCR. It takes the same holsters and you still have 6 of the .357 mag.
You can flatten the sides, like I know Kimber did.

You might be able to tighten up the circle of chambers, but only to a small extent. Does the k6S need special speedloaders? If yes, that may have happened.

With an autoloader, one can just get a longer magazine. (Yes, I know that's true only to a point.)

With a revolver there's a whole lot more going on, with geometry changes, changes in cylinder mass affecting wear and handling, etc.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 10, 2020, 10:18 AM   #21
HighValleyRanch

I'm using the same HKS #10 as for my k frame and takes the same SL variant that I use for my Ruger Security six except that now that I have the Hogue rubber grips, the SL doesn't have enough clearance.
Old November 10, 2020, 10:22 AM   #22
mrt949

I Was Looking At The 8 Shot RUGERS & S&W Revolvers also . That's Why I started this post .I Have 3 x 5 shot 1x 6 shot and 1x 8 x shot revolver .My 8 shot is a RUGER SP101 .
Old November 10, 2020, 11:06 AM   #23
lifesizepotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949
What does fit your style
As a gun hipster doofus, I'd say the 8-round Mateba MTR-8 in 38spl

Old November 10, 2020, 11:08 AM   #24
Jim Watson

Whatever happened to the Mateba? Overshadowed by the Rhino, I assume.
Looks like something bac1023 needs on his rug.
Old November 10, 2020, 11:33 AM   #25
lifesizepotato

Matebas were always pretty niche and never sold well, including the semi-auto 6 Unica models. They met their ignoble end as unwanted clearance specials at CDNN. Only recently has there been renewed interest in the lineup, and they've apparently fired up the machines again under new ownership to make new 6 Unicas in limited numbers.

The Rhino was introduced after Mateba closed up shop so they never really competed. They're certainly more accessible and selling better than the Matebas ever did, and as someone who owns at least 2 of every Mateba and a couple Rhinos as well, I'd argue they're better suited to the average shooter than the expensive, complicated and somewhat fragile Matebas.

Last edited by lifesizepotato; November 10, 2020 at 11:59 AM.