The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 8, 2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Geezerbiker

AR15 buffer weight

Please forgive all my dumb beginner questions... Anyway awhile back someone here mentioned that a heavier buffer weight would slow case ejection so the spent cases do fly into the next county.

I've been looking at different buffers and some run up to around 50 bucks but don't weigh any more than the A2 buffer that came with my A2 style stock. My kitchen scale has it weighing in at a touch more than 5.1 ounces.

Are the so called heavy buffers not worth the money or am I missing something?

I'm also considering a Wolf heavy recoil spring since it's cheap and I wouldn't feel bad if it didn't work right or if I ruined it by cutting it down...

Tony
Old May 8, 2019, 03:48 AM   #2
Nathan

If you have the A2 stock, it should be fitted with a rifle buffer. Those are normally a little heavy...

The heavy buffer question comes from adjustable stocks that come with the 3 oz carbine buffer.
Old May 8, 2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Mobuck

AR;s don't normally throw cases into the next county(at least not like the AK or Mini 14 do). An "over gassed" AR will toss cases vigorously toward the right front of the ejection port but not usually a great distance.
As mentioned, the A-2 rifle buffer is already fairly heavy vs the standard carbine buffer. Now, if you happen to have the incorrect spring or buffer in an A-2 stock bad stuff happens quickly.
Old May 8, 2019, 04:10 PM   #4
rickyrick

What’s the upper configuration, ie barrel length and gas system length
Old May 9, 2019, 12:22 AM   #5
DnPRK

Make sure you use a long buffer with an A2 rifle buffer tube (aka receiver extension). The shorter carbine buffers only go with collapsible stock (carbine) buffer tubes.

I saw a case where a guy used a short carbine buffer in a rifle length buffer tube. Each time the bolt carrier recoiled, the carrier key hit the lower receiver ring until it cracked.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

Thanx guys. I'm sure I'll have a few more dumb beginner questions before I complete this project.

It's not done yet. I'm going on what I remember from shooting AR's that belonged to friends from many years ago. Back then I didn't mind searching for and picking up brass. Not so much these days...

Tony

Last edited by Geezerbiker; May 9, 2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old May 9, 2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Mobuck

When shooting from the bench, I use a Caldwell net type brrass collector.
Otherwise, a clip on brass catcher attached to the side of the rifle works sort of OK.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:34 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Ejection distance on an AR is determined by ejector spring force and extractor shape.
The gas system has nothing to do with it.

The ejection pattern is influenced by how quickly (or slowly) the action is cycling, but not the distance that the cases get chucked.

Buffer weight is use to time the action, not to control ejection.
If the bolt isn't locking open on the last round, the buffer may be too heavy.
If the action is cycling so quickly that you're getting feeding and ejection failures, the buffer may be too light.
Etc...
Old May 10, 2019, 05:14 PM   #9
Geezerbiker

I'll get back to you guys after I get it together. I don't want to do anything excessively creative until I know more about what I'm doing...

I'm planning to finish it up with mostly AR Stoner parts. I understand they are made by Remington or so I've heard...

Tony
Old May 11, 2019, 07:47 AM   #10
bfoosh006

Rifle length buffers are pretty much limited to 5.4ish oz.

Consider a "stiffer" recoil spring... a Tubbs AR15 recoil spring adds "load" with the bolt locked closed.. and slightly more function load.

It is an easy way to "slow" the cyclic speed.. and lessen the case flinging.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod22336.aspx

And if you have a scope mounted... a baseball cap hung of of the top scope turret, will help quite a bit in capturing your ejecting brass.. ( it will make the inside of the cap FILTHY )
Old May 12, 2019, 08:41 PM   #11
zukiphile

Quote:
Rifle length buffers are pretty much limited to 5.4ish oz.
Unless you are willing to knock out the bumper pin, remove the spacer and add some weight. A buffer with seven steel weights rather than five has a much gentler impulse.