The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Prof Young

Who makes a turret press that . . .

Loaders:

I have a Lee four hole turret press that I love, but the primers go everywhere. Yeah I've made cardboard sides, but is't still pretty spasmodic.

I've heard rumors of turret presses that coral the spent primers with easy access to their place of accumulation?

Talk to me please.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 9, 2019, 11:40 PM   #2
tangolima

Best in market is Forster co-ax, and this feature is big part of the reason I replaced my Lyman t-max with one.

Spilling spent primers is one thing. I actually came up with a trick to catch most of it on the old press. It is airborne primer residue that concerned me the most. Before I bought the new press I made a "decapping block" out of wood. I used hammer and a special punch on the block to decap. A plastic pill bottle caught the spent primers and the associated residue. Worked perfectly although required an extra step.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Edit:. The co-ax is not a turret. But a turret doesn't do anything for me if it spills primer residue.
Old January 9, 2019, 11:41 PM   #3
hounddawg

I deprimed 10K pistol cases on a Lee Turret a few years back and it rarely ever dropped a spent primer. The only time I even recall was when I forgot to put a priming arm in the ram

this part https://leeprecision.com/new-primer-arm.html has to be in the ram when depriming or it will puke primers out of that slot, with this in it directs the spent primers out the back.

My Lees both worked a heck of a lot better than my RC does when it comes to that. If you don't want yours put it on Ebay, I might even buy it

Last edited by hounddawg; January 9, 2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:18 AM   #4
kmw1954

If that is the old Red base that is also used on the Pro 1000 then yeah it gets messy. The Lee Classic Cast Turret drops the spent primers all the way down and thru the bottom of the ram to a tube. The new Lee Breech Lock Pro and the new Value Turret press also now use this same design, works pretty well.
Old January 10, 2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Russell P

Don't you have the Classic Cast press? I rarely have primers go anywhere but down to the spent primer tube.

Is your primer arm in place? That's the ticket.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:19 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Redding T-7.
Through-ram primer catch.
They collect in a colostomy bag, err... length of tubing hanging from the ram.

Like most single-stage presses, however, primers will still occasionally escape through the primer arm slot in the front of the ram - whether or not you have the arm installed. For all brands that I own, I solved that problem with a piece of styrene tubing inside each ram.
I prime 99% of cases with a hand primer or bench prime tool. So, there really isn't any loss of utility. But even if I do want/need to prime on the press, the piece of tubing can be removed in a matter of seconds.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:57 AM   #7
pete2

Shop Vac.
Old January 10, 2019, 03:48 PM   #8
std7mag

^^^
What Pete said.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 10, 2019, 03:50 PM   #9
Almostgem

Shop-vac works !
I have the TMag II and the Primer catch on that is also not the best, but a couple of screws through the primer catch container and tapped into the press completely eliminated the problem where I'd bump it and knock primers all over the floor. The Hornady progressive uses a primer catch tube, but have never used it for decapping brass, so can't comment on how well it works.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:20 PM   #10
arlaunch

I de-cap as a separate process on a separate press. The mung that falls from a spent primer pocket is very abrasive.

I use my old RCBS Rock-Chucker with a primer catcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Prim...mercatcher.com

My T-7 is too pretty for that abrasive dust.

Others have different ideas though.

Last edited by arlaunch; January 10, 2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:30 PM   #11
TailGator

Quote:
The Lee Classic Cast Turret drops the spent primers all the way down and thru the bottom of the ram to a tube.
That's what I have, and it gives me no such trouble at all. Must be either a different base or something isn't assembled correctly.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:47 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
I use my old RCBS Rock-Chucker with a primer catcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Prim...mercatcher.com
I am trying to figure out how that works. If the primer is decapped and drops down the center of the ram, how does it get into the tube?

I have a LNL where I hooked their tubing and I glued it into a hole in a plastic water bottle. When the bottle gets full, unscrew it and throw it away. All the junk is kept inside the tube and bottle
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 10, 2019, 10:59 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Wow, that "improved" primer catcher is gawd-awful ... and quite expensive for a hunk of poorly printed plastic that's going to degrade with heat, humidity, and UV exposure much faster than injection molded plastics.

If you want an "improved" primer catcher for an RC IV, have someone print this one for you: RCBS Rock Chucker Primer Catcher
Even though it will still degrade just as quickly (unless printed in metal via a method like SLS), it is at least a better, less obtrusive, and more compact design.
Old January 11, 2019, 07:44 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
Loaders:

I have a Lee four hole turret press that I love, but the primers go everywhere. Yeah I've made cardboard sides, but is't still pretty spasmodic.

I've heard rumors of turret presses that coral the spent primers with easy access to their place of accumulation?

Talk to me please.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Lee Classic Turret, check it out. Spent primers go down a tube out the bottom of the ram.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 11, 2019, 11:28 PM   #15
Sunday Shooter

OP, do you have the priming arm installed in the ram? If so, the primers should all go right down the tube. They will go all directions without the priming arm installed.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:06 PM   #16
skinnedknuckles

Professor,

It wasn't clear to me through the thread whether you had the Classic or Deluxe four hole turret press. I have both and find the Deluxe press tends to scatter the spent primers to the four winds. I rigged fences using duct tape instead of cardboard and it helps but I still lose a few. Where I load, it isn't a problem for me to clean them up after but it is another step. Probably one of the real reasons the Deluxe spends more time in the cabinet than on the bench and the Classic gets almost all the attention these days, even with the longer stroke. I rarely have a primer miss the tube on the Classic, and they go go down the shaft and into the plastic tube.

For my Deluxe press, I drilled a hole in the bench under the base and mounted a jar under the hole to catch the spent primers (that didn't miss the chute).