The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
a1bigtuna

Eyeglass optical focus aid, not Lyman or Merit

I have seen some posts that I can not find now, not even sure it was on this forum as I read a couple. But, have seen references to the Merit and the Lyman optical focus thing that attaches to your glasses with suction cups, have heard that some like them some do not. I found my clip on optical aid and looked them up on the web, they are still in business. They cost as much as the Merit, but are easier to adjust. Here is a link to Walters spectacle clamp:

http://www.lssproducts.com/product/4544/walters
Old January 10, 2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Jolly Rogers

Have you tried this product? It seems to mount additional optics but does not seem to adapt a pin hole adapter or adjustable iris which is what the Merit does.
Joe
Old January 10, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
a1bigtuna

Walters optic aid

My unit has a pinhole opening. The picture only shows the open area. I don't see a place where you select a small insert, but since mine came with one, they must have them. I got mine some 20 years ago at a gun show. Would not be hard to make a small disk of plastic with a hole. I like it because I can adjust it sideways using the plastic clamp and vertically with two small thumb adjustment screws.
Old January 10, 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, a1bigtuna. If I think what you are refering to..it's a Gehman (spelling?)
they are available from most of the target shooters supply..Creedmoor Sports,
Champions shooters Supply. I like it better than Merit..last fall weather turned cold..suction cup didn't want to stick, even wetting didn't help...then lens popped out of shooting glasses!..pushed too hard. With the Gehman, rubber covered clamp fastens to top of your glasses frame..it's adjustable up & down for easy eye centering..and it has various sized pin holes on adjustable wheel. Kind of pricy..but it beats knocking your lens out!