The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 10, 2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Surp

Slug scope

Got my first slug gun (Mossberg 695) and I'm look for a scope.

The Burris Droptine 2-7x35 slug gun scope ($150) and the Leupold VX-1, 3-9x40mm, Duplex, Rifle Scope ($200) are two I'm looking at but I'm open to suggestions. Also considered the nikon prostaff and Vortex DB.

It will mostly be used to test/group my hand cast slugs at long range.

Last edited by Surp; March 10, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old March 10, 2017, 08:17 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I dont see where you could go wrong with any of em, depends on the type of hunting you will be doing though, still hunting deer you might want to go with the least amount of magnification, stand hunting 3 power is more than enough.
Old March 11, 2017, 03:34 AM   #3
bamaranger

Leupold 1-4x

I'm running the above Leupold's on carbines, a Mini30 and a Ruger .44 tube model. Mine are older Vari-X-IIc models. They are billed as shotgun scopes and so marked, the parallex settinngs are shorter than a "rifle" scope, but it troubles me not in the least.

At one point, the Mini saw quite a bit of shooting as we used it in a local 3 gun match for awhile. Mini's are famous for being scope bashers, but the Leupold held up fine. The one on the .44 gave me some trouble after a reticle change at the Leupold custom shop, and got a return trip back to Leupold, no questions asked, and it's fine now too.

I picked up both of these, used, reasonably, in the $175 range I believe. I've found them rugged and reliable, and they have a good support net with Leupold for repair, and some custom work.
Old March 12, 2017, 02:51 AM   #4
Surp

Ended up finding a 3-9x40 Burris droptine sabot for $129.99. Also picked up a ACSS for my pup as a replacement for the Eotech EXPS2-2 I just sent back.
Old March 14, 2017, 04:51 PM   #5
lefteye

The Leupold 1-4x gets my vote. I have one on my Remington 870 with the rifled barrel. With sabot slugs the accuracy is amazing for a shotgun. My best shot took a 10 pt. whitetail running slightly uphill quartering away at about 125 yards. I was a little surprised that I shot him through the heart/lungs in that situation. He's not a giant but he is on my den wall.