The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: In general, which is better for home defense: a semiautomatic or revolver handgun?
Revolver 29 43.28%
Semiautomatic 38 56.72%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 3, 2018, 12:12 PM   #1
ATN082268

Which is better for home defense: semi or revolver handgun?

In general, which is better for home defense: a semiautomatic or revolver handgun?
Old December 3, 2018, 12:30 PM   #2
themalicious0ne

While I think this question should be chosen on a more personal level, in general, I say semi-auto over revolver due to the ammo choices. More revolver ammo has too much flash and bang, so as a general recommendation without elaborating on the ammo choice, it would be semi.
Old December 3, 2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

A pump action shotgun. Even better, pump action "firearm" like a Mossberg Shockwave.
But if you must ask handguns, which ever one an individual that is apt to use it is familiar with, is accurate with, and has confidence in. Building that competence, and confidence doesn't come from internet forum questions or polls. It comes from range time, and experience.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 3, 2018, 02:34 PM   #4
joed

The correct answer is the one you are comfortable shooting and proficient with. I learned with revolvers but am pretty good with either after spending time at the range.
Old December 3, 2018, 02:42 PM   #5
kenny53

I like the semi. More rounds easier to reload.
Old December 3, 2018, 02:48 PM   #6
reddog81

They'll both work equally well in most scenarios. Whichever one you feel the most comfortable with will probably work the best. Glock 17 or 45 ACP revolver with moonclips is my choice. It changes depending what has been going to the range lately.

I don't want to deal with anything that requires 2 hands to function, so that rules out a shotgun for me. I want a free hand to be able to use a flashlight. A weapon mounted flashlight means you have to be pointing your gun at everything you want to investigate.
Old December 3, 2018, 03:10 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

In general, without further qualifiers, the question is meaningless.

Which guns and what calibers does make a difference.

Which is better for home defense a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt (revolver) or a Jennings .22LR (semi auto)???

here, you have specifics to choose from, other than just revolver vs semi

they DO matter!

I do have both, and many other, and better things besides, and for home defense, the Jennings is at the very bottom of my list, below my single shot Contenders!!!
Old December 3, 2018, 09:20 PM   #8
tallball

12 gauge shotgun or high-powered semiautomatic rifle

handgun
Old December 3, 2018, 09:30 PM   #9
davidsog

Quote:
Even better, pump action "firearm" like a Mossberg Shockwave.
Get a good shotgun!

If you insist on getting a shockwave; a better option would be to consider getting a normal stock and investing in a ballpeen hammer to put on your nightstand.

Hit yourself 3 times very hard on the back of your hand with the hammer and then grab the shotgun. You will probably still have better first round hits doing that than with a shockwave so nothing is perfect.

Get the shotgun but I seriously do not recommend the shockwave.
Old December 3, 2018, 09:32 PM   #10
davidsog

Quote:
But if you must ask handguns, which ever one an individual that is apt to use it is familiar with, is accurate with, and has confidence in. Building that competence, and confidence doesn't come from internet forum questions or polls. It comes from range time, and experience.
Best advice so far...whatever you get train with it.
Old December 3, 2018, 10:00 PM   #11
Drm50

In general for home defense handgun we take for given that we are talking about appropriate calibres for the task and ruling out SA revolvers. The best choice would be a
top quality DA revolver. That is in general. We aren't talking about somebody's favorite
XYZ blaster. The DA revolver is best for the masses. Everyone isn't a gun nut and will not
spend much time on the issue.
Old December 3, 2018, 10:16 PM   #12
TXAZ

Semi is my vote.
More rounds in the magazine (6 in the revolver might be enough, but 20 / 30 moves the statistics in your favor.)
More ammo choices.
More fun.

There are disadvantages with a revolver and a semi. An attacker can disable a semi by grabbing the slide of the gun pointed at him and pushing it back about 1/4".
Conversely, any gun with an exposed hammer can be stopped if the attacker can get their hand web or finger between the hammer and the cartridge.

P.S. You ears will hate you for the rest of your life if you unload either in a small room.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 3, 2018, 11:22 PM   #13
LineStretcher

The answer is both are good. The best for you is the one you're most comfortable with.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:10 AM   #14
shafter

Either will do the job, but I would prefer a semiauto because I can put a light on it. I only have two hands and the other would most likely be holding a cell phone with 911 on the line.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:32 AM   #15
mk70ss

If quality is equal and either is of sufficient caliber, whichever you shoot more accurately is the one to choose.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:48 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny53 View Post
I like the semi. More rounds easier to reload.
Gotta agree..it's easy to grab just the gun, with 17 rounds, instead of the revolver and 'maybe' another one or two 6 round speed-loader..Also easy to hook a light onto it(Glock 19 with -17 17 round mag)..Yes, I know, 'needing' 17 rounds(?).....probably won't ever even 'need' the gun at all at home..BUT I do have 2 other magazines loaded next to the -19...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 4, 2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Wyosmith

Shotgun or rifle.
Handguns are best to carry, not for "home" defense. Rifles or shotguns beat handguns for fighting in EVER scenario --- so if you are not going to carry full time, get a long arm.

That's why ALL armies give rifles to their infantry troops for standard issue ...not handguns.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:20 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

No clean answer. It all depends on the individual and what they are competent with. Older people with arthritis may have trouble operating a slide. Hence they're better off with revolvers. However, DA trigger pull may be hard for them. Hence those older flip up barrel Berettas are better. But the .380 may be anemic and on, and on, and on.

General Rule of thumb. The individual must be competent and confident in their firearm. It does not good to give Granny Dirty Harry's Model 29.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:27 AM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
Either will do the job, but I would prefer a semiauto because I can put a light on it. I only have two hands and the other would most likely be holding a cell phone with 911 on the line
There ARE revolvers with light rails

And with 8 rounds, it might be just the ticket for some folks...
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 4, 2018, 09:48 AM   #20
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
In general for home defense handgun we take for given that we are talking about appropriate calibres for the task and ruling out SA revolvers. The best choice would be a
top quality DA revolver. That is in general. We aren't talking about somebody's favorite
XYZ blaster. The DA revolver is best for the masses. Everyone isn't a gun nut and will not
spend much time on the issue.
Why rule out SA revolvers?
Old December 4, 2018, 10:13 AM   #21
Drm50

Rule out SAs because we are talking " general" A DA revolver is the easiest gun for most people to use. Most who are forum members don't fall into General class. General is the key
word here. Personal choice is not the issue. Personally I would choose an auto loader of which I only have a few. I also have a few SAs. I have a lot of DAs all big target and hunting
types. I don't own a service type DA or auto. The only people shooter I own is a Walther PP
and only because of sentimental value. I could use any of these if I hand to but I'm not
General, I only made it to Sargent. I would never put a light on a gun. I'm not
a cop and not going to be carrying a light looking for someone who may be armed also.

Last edited by Drm50; December 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

I wish folks would spare us the blanket posting of the shotgun cliches, esp. things like the Shockwave.

You should use a firearm that you have trained with and can shoot well. I would suggest folks search on the myths and problems of naive shotgun usage. Same for other long arms.

Have naive folks used them succesfully - yes. However, if you ask for a recommendation, then cut the BS. Use something that you shoot well under stress, practice and train with.

The question as pointed out is really meaningless for a sophisticated answer.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:42 AM   #23
Wag

Adding to what others have said:

Use the one you're competent to use. If you're new to both and you're not competent with either, then become competent through practice and study. In a self defense situation, when a thousand things are not going well, including your own mind and body, the last thing you want is to encounter a lack of ability to operate the mechanics of your firearm.

Use of your firearm should be truly instinctive so that you don't have to think about the gun you're using when you're using it.

--Wag--
Old December 4, 2018, 10:44 AM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Get the shotgun but I seriously do not recommend the shockwave.
But seriously you obviously have never fired a Shockwave. Especially with the Aguila Mini Shells of #1/#4 buckshot combination. If you learn how to shoot it properly. Just like you should learn how to use any weapon properly. There is no ball peen hammer to your head.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 4, 2018, 10:51 AM   #25
osbornk

Quote:
Shotgun or rifle.
Handguns are best to carry, not for "home" defense. Rifles or shotguns beat handguns for fighting in EVER scenario --- so if you are not going to carry full time, get a long arm.
I don't think a long gun is practical for close quarters inside a home. Getting to the gun and getting it ready when you hear a noise in the night takes time and effort when you frequently don't have it. Also, it's hard to handle a long gun going through doors and around corners when you don't know what you will encounter.

I have been surprised at how many of us "seasoned" folks have a 38 Special in their nightstand drawers. Many have been in the drawers for decades, even by many anti-gun folks (do as I say and not as I do).
Closed Thread