The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 29, 2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Hoffmeister

Farthest shooting semiautomatic?

Out of curiosity ive been looking at all the different rifles out there and was wondering what the farthest accurate shots out of semiautomatic rifles people have had are. So if you would please post your furthest accurate shots and rifle type with ammo type thanks.
Old November 29, 2018, 11:26 PM   #2
TXAZ

You really need to define "accurate", and what's your goal here.

Is 1 MOA accurate enough?
How about 2 MOA?

What ammo? Ball, match or tuned handload?

Accounting for wind?

What size group, or does that matter?

I've hit "large targets" at a mile with a Barrett M107A1, but a fair number of shots. There are several US and Canadian snipers that have hit man sized targets at 1-2 miles with match .50 BMG ammo. But you seldom hear howmany shots they actually fired, or if 'they cheated " by used MP ammo and were shooting at a bad guy behind a wall.

I've also hit 5 golf balls (1-3/8" diameter) at 563 yards. But it took a fair number of shots to do it. This is hard to do with ball ammo, but not as difficult with match.

In general, semi's are no where near as accurate as a bolt. most are effectively very long range shotguns.

You may want to look at the .338 Lapua if you're looking for accuracy at a long range but most of these are bolt guns.

You're also going to run into a physics problem in that heavier bullets with high BC's generally can hit a target at a further distance, but often not as "precise" as smaller caliber rounds.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; November 29, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 30, 2018, 12:50 AM   #3
lordmorgul

Curious what the reason for the question is?
Barrett M82A1 semi-auto 50 cal 50BMG chambered rifles have held world record confirmed sniper shots (not by me).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long...d_sniper_kills

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old November 30, 2018, 02:33 AM   #4
Hoffmeister

Well i was thinking less than a 50 cal cause atleast to me it comes more as a no brainer the 50 is gonna nail targets at a mile lol. The motive for the question is for me to decide what the next project dream gun im going to build i dont like bolt actions because to me its not modern and its just not my thing plus I already have a 300 wmg i blow holes through milk jugs at 1000 yards on my friends ranch. I have read about the 6.5 Creedmoor and i believe the 7mm08 shooting out to 1000 and people getting 2 mao. But i was wondering if there was any other semiautomatic round out there that could shoot to or past 1000 yards. To me long distance accuacy is shooting to a thousand yards and putting two holes in a 2 foot target accurately and consistently. The ammo type is what ever people are using if your packing a heavier load with hand reloads on a caliber and shooting farrher with accuracy then tell me about it i love knowledge and knowing what works for people. In all the main goal is to get a semiautomatic rifle that shoots distance without true comprise of accuracy if your nailing golfballs at 500 yards thats what i like info on thanks guys
Old November 30, 2018, 03:37 AM   #5
50 shooter

Check out Vigilance Rifles, definitely a company worth looking at if you want a large caliber long range semi auto rifle.

www.vigilancerifles.com
No time for rearranging.
Old November 30, 2018, 11:05 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

There's a big difference between 1,000 yards and a mile. (Another 760 yards, to be exact.)

My 6x45mm does just fine at 1,000 yards. ...But it can't do 1 mile.

I really don't see much opportunity to "build" a semi-auto for really long range, unless you have a machine shop at your disposal. Otherwise, it's more of selecting a rifle and then just slapping some glass and whatever desired accessories on it.

Noreen, Barrett, and Vigilance are players that come to mind immediately.

On the non-conventional side, there's also the Browning BAR. In 7mm Mag, .300 WM, or .338 WM, it would certainly be capable of getting the job done. They're also generally quite accurate, even if typically only considered an expensive 'hunting' rifle that can be finicky about ammo.
Old November 30, 2018, 12:14 PM   #7
TXAZ

I have watched a skilled marksman nail a steel silhouette at 1 mile with a cold bore shot. But 1000 yards for a 6.5 CM is table stakes.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; November 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM.